China

Visiting Beijing, Shanghai, and Suzhou in May. Ok to bring GPS into country? Ok to geocache there? Thank you!
You bet. If you would bring up gc.com and use Bejing, China for your search, you'll find all kinds of caches.

At the moment, neighbor N Vietnam is one of the few places that still refuses to allow private use of GPS units.

Visiting Beijing, Shanghai, and Suzhou in May. Ok to bring GPS into country? Ok to geocache there? Thank you!
You bet. If you would bring up gc.com and use Bejing, China for your search, you'll find all kinds of caches.

At the moment, neighbor N Vietnam is one of the few places that still refuses to allow private use of GPS units.

North Korea?

North Korea?
I'm guessing not. Try this:

1. Click on this link to a GC.com Google map of part of northern S. Korea. 2. Zoom out one click, maybe two.

3. Notice that the caches disappear. You aren't getting the "Your search exceeds 500 caches" message, you're getting "Adjust your zoom level to view caches" message that usually means there are no caches on the portion of map you're looking at.

Where'd they go? :anitongue:

. . . Wait, am I guessing "not" or "so"? I think they don't allow them, thus the apparent block.

Edited by Too Tall John

North Korea?
I'm guessing not. Try this:

1. Click on this link to a GC.com Google map of part of northern S. Korea. 2. Zoom out one click, maybe two.

3. Notice that the caches disappear. You aren't getting the "Your search exceeds 500 caches" message, you're getting "Adjust your zoom level to view caches" message that usually means there are no caches on the portion of map you're looking at.

Where'd they go? :anitongue:

. . . Wait, am I guessing "not" or "so"? I think they don't allow them, thus the apparent block.

I hadn't done that map thing, but it doesn't really suprize me.

What I was poking at (and it seems missing by several miles) is that North Vietnam is not a country. I thought maybe ecanderson meant to write North Korea instead? Especially since there are like 50 caches listed in Vietnam :laughing:

North Korea?

Dear Leader would not approve of his people wasting their time looking for the North Korean version of Tupperware when they could be building the proletarian society and making a few more nukes.

Things are looking up in North Korea, they have resumed work on his 100 story hotel again, after construction stopped for 15 years.

Yes, I'm quite sure ecanderson meant North Korea, and not North Vietnam. I've never seen this question regarding North Korea, but it comes up for Cuba all the time, and GPS is not allowed there. But us Americans are not allowed in either Country. But the whole world is not us Americans. :anitongue:

North Korea?

Dear Leader would not approve of his people wasting their time looking for the North Korean version of Tupperware when they could be building the proletarian society and making a few more nukes.

Things are looking up in North Korea, they have resumed work on his 100 story hotel again, after construction stopped for 15 years.

Yes, I'm quite sure ecanderson meant North Korea, and not North Vietnam. I've never seen this question regarding North Korea, but it comes up for Cuba all the time, and GPS is not allowed there. But us Americans are not allowed in either Country. But the whole world is not us Americans. :anitongue:

There are geocaches in Cuba though. I guess the goal is not to get caught.

North Korea?

There are geocaches in Cuba though. I guess the goal is not to get caught.

Yeah, and the last time I looked, almost all of them placed by Canadians. I guess they didn't get caught. :laughing:

I remember from one of the many threads, that if they do catch you with the GPS at the airport in Cuba, they hold it, and let you have it back when you leave, for a "fee".

Not to hijack the thread though, surely there are people who have traveled to China with a GPS who could give the OP some insight. There are certainly many caches there.

itravelled to china a few years ago and found several caches with gps, had no problems. all virtual caches. i didnt want to explain caching to any authority figures and there are not that many regular caches to be found. try around universities as there ssems to be more students into caching.