Sign in to follow this  
Followers 14
Wazat

Where am I?

I can see it, no idea.

Anything to do with thomas bain?

Not this time!

No Tom, you've covered your tracks too well this time and I can't remember ever being there, so you got me.

1838 sounds like Groot Trek to me. Those sandstones looks as if they come from that pass between Ashton and Montagu, or maybe Seweweekspoort, or maybe Peninsula, or maybe Katbakkies. Thinking Tom likes the Western Cape theme (his home turf). As you can see, I have no idea, but thought I would add to the debate...

It looks to me like one of those commemorative plaques along a road/mountain pass - Sir Lowry's Pass perhaps?

Wow I did not think that this would stump so many - it is in the Western Cape and the nearby cache has been found 32 times with 2 DNF and 1 note!

Western Cape and the nearby cache has been found 32 times with 2 DNF and 1 note!

Hmm.. That narrows it down to only two caches, of which Tom only logged one!

Western Cape and the nearby cache has been found 32 times with 2 DNF and 1 note!

Hmm.. That narrows it down to only two caches, of which Tom only logged one!

you sneaky stats people! I thought that might give it away! I wait with bated breath!

nobody but Jors having a go????

I don't have a question, and won't be answering. But it is surprising that no-one recognises a survey marker?

Know what it is and what it belongs to, exactly where it is.... not sure.

It is the marker near GCRP1N Pearshaped or round? near Aurora in the Western Cape - It the beacon (clearly indicated as a national monument - S32°41.900 E018°28.721) where Maclear tested La Caille’s measurements in 1838

As I am in DC at the moment - I don't have any SA pictures so over to someone who has!

Had us snookered there, Tom. I recall doing the cache, but not seeing the marker. I think we were in a hurry and I did not want to hold up the operation. Will have to go back.

Had us snookered there, Tom. I recall doing the cache, but not seeing the marker. I think we were in a hurry and I did not want to hold up the operation. Will have to go back.

Saw that you had been there and expected you to remember, but you were still in France when it was originally posted I think!

haha, thats actually the first thing that came to mind, but its not really what I remembered seeing - silly me

Wooo Hoo, I'll take the chance as its going begging.

Where am I?

dad37e0f-6afa-40e1-826c-337aabce8f77.jpg

Grand Canyon, USA??

wow, Cownchicken, I'm shocked :D

No where near Table Mountain!

Sawasawa, love to go to the grand canyon, but I fear I haven't - yet :lol:

I would guess Drakensberg, but don't know where. Dbob pushing the Muyburghian Leap again - looks nerve wracking.

It does look like the Drakensberg... is that the right most point of the amphitheatre to the right?

Then you may be near the Tugela Falls??

sadly, I have not even been to the drakensberg before :D

But you are getting closer

Wooo Hoo, I'll take the chance as its going begging.

Where am I?

Thanks Dbob

Valley of Desolation - Graaff-Reinet?

noooooooooo, never been there either!

How about. Another finger? cache near the pinnacle, of the blyde river canyon.

How about. Another finger? cache near the pinnacle, of the blyde river canyon.

nope, Drakensberg been closest so far

Maluti Mountains Lesotho?

hmm, I think this is in the maluti mountains, definately Lesotho.

But it seems to be pretty much linked to the drakanesberg as well, so not sure where one ends and the other starts!

That should hopefully be a big enough clue :blink:

Sani Pass?

Well done Bruce, your go!

Cache there is called Khotso as far as i recall

Thanks Russell.

The mountains in that whole region are very distinctive. They are great for hiking but can be treacherous climbing because the rock is very crumbly.

Here is an easy one but for me was very poignant considering the gravity of the circumstances surrounding it.

c0e7666d-989f-49b6-9bd3-ec9eff53ca93.jpg

Thanks Russell.

The mountains in that whole region are very distinctive. They are great for hiking but can be treacherous climbing because the rock is very crumbly.

Here is an easy one but for me was very poignant considering the gravity of the circumstances surrounding it.

The dates and the fact that it appears to be 3 from the same family would suggest to me that it is the cache located near the site of a tragic school bus accident near Vanderbijlpark.

Indeed it is Anton. Quite an amazing place to visit.

Over to you. Where are you taking us photographically?

Thanks Russell.

Tell us more about the circumstances. Don't know the background.

Dankie Bruce,

Ja dit was vir ons ook n onvergeetlike cache aangesien ons bevooreg was om mense daar te ontmoet wat direk by die voorval betrokke was. Sien.

Ek dink die een gaan maklik wees want heelwat cachers het reeds die een gelog.

_MG_4190.jpg

Tell us more about the circumstances. Don't know the background.

Indeed it must have been horrific hearing the cries of the occupants of the house and not being able to help them and then to hear everything go quiet as the earth closed up over them.

When you see the place now, you would never believe there was anything there in the first place.

Dankie Bruce,

Ja dit was vir ons ook n onvergeetlike cache aangesien ons bevooreg was om mense daar te ontmoet wat direk by die voorval betrokke was. Sien.

Ek dink die een gaan maklik wees want heelwat cachers het reeds die een gelog.

_MG_4190.jpg

I won't answer this on as it is one that my son-in-law and I hid.

I don't know the cache, but I’m guessing the cache is hidden in the skew light at the bottom of the pillar [;)].

And now I know how the duplications Happen [;)]

Edited by iNokia

Spot on Bruce! I thought it was too easy.

Over to you again.

Thanks Anton. It was cincol's clue that gave it away. I still need to go caching in that neck of the woods. Now I know what to look for on that one.... ;)

OK, so here goes with another interesting historic site. We fought our way through mega blackjacks to get to this rock. The cache was worth it, though.

fe4eb958-feee-4e17-9d57-47026f3a4e38.jpg

Danie Theron Memorial in NW. I think... also recall loads of Black Jacks... and the gate down below looks familiar. Not 100% sure because my pics were mostly of the memorial....

Thanks Anton. It was cincol's clue that gave it away. I still need to go caching in that neck of the woods. Now I know what to look for on that one.... :)

I think you are in for a big surprise Bruce! ;)

Thanks Anton. It was cincol's clue that gave it away. I still need to go caching in that neck of the woods. Now I know what to look for on that one.... :)

I think you are in for a big surprise Bruce! ;)

Or is it a "small" surprise :)