Where am I?

Wazat

1838 sounds like Groot Trek to me. Those sandstones looks as if they come from that pass between Ashton and Montagu, or maybe Seweweekspoort, or maybe Peninsula, or maybe Katbakkies. Thinking Tom likes the Western Cape theme (his home turf). As you can see, I have no idea, but thought I would add to the debate...

It is the marker near GCRP1N Pearshaped or round? near Aurora in the Western Cape - It the beacon (clearly indicated as a national monument - S32°41.900 E018°28.721) where Maclear tested La Caille’s measurements in 1838

As I am in DC at the moment - I don't have any SA pictures so over to someone who has!

Had us snookered there, Tom. I recall doing the cache, but not seeing the marker. I think we were in a hurry and I did not want to hold up the operation. Will have to go back.

Saw that you had been there and expected you to remember, but you were still in France when it was originally posted I think!

Thanks Russell.

The mountains in that whole region are very distinctive. They are great for hiking but can be treacherous climbing because the rock is very crumbly.

Here is an easy one but for me was very poignant considering the gravity of the circumstances surrounding it.

c0e7666d-989f-49b6-9bd3-ec9eff53ca93.jpg

Thanks Russell.

The mountains in that whole region are very distinctive. They are great for hiking but can be treacherous climbing because the rock is very crumbly.

Here is an easy one but for me was very poignant considering the gravity of the circumstances surrounding it.

The dates and the fact that it appears to be 3 from the same family would suggest to me that it is the cache located near the site of a tragic school bus accident near Vanderbijlpark.

Thanks Russell.

Tell us more about the circumstances. Don't know the background.

Tell us more about the circumstances. Don't know the background.

Indeed it must have been horrific hearing the cries of the occupants of the house and not being able to help them and then to hear everything go quiet as the earth closed up over them.

When you see the place now, you would never believe there was anything there in the first place.

Dankie Bruce,

Ja dit was vir ons ook n onvergeetlike cache aangesien ons bevooreg was om mense daar te ontmoet wat direk by die voorval betrokke was. Sien.

Ek dink die een gaan maklik wees want heelwat cachers het reeds die een gelog.

_MG_4190.jpg

I won't answer this on as it is one that my son-in-law and I hid.

Thanks Anton. It was cincol's clue that gave it away. I still need to go caching in that neck of the woods. Now I know what to look for on that one.... ;)

OK, so here goes with another interesting historic site. We fought our way through mega blackjacks to get to this rock. The cache was worth it, though.

fe4eb958-feee-4e17-9d57-47026f3a4e38.jpg