Where am I?

Wazat

Just thought of a new game we can play.... For them non-caching days... I got this idea out the Photo Competition thread. I saw Henzz' picture of the GPS on the dash and recognised the area to be close to home. So thought why not have a little competition and see who can guess the spot where a picture was taken of the GPS. Of course we need to stick to roads as finding a spot using topographic contours out in the middle of the Drakensberg is going to be near on impossible. So look at the pic Henzz took in this thread and post yours. One at a time please. I have not got one ready to post just yet so if someone can start off that would be great.

err, that looks a bit impossible as all you have to seein Henz's photo is a bend in the road. I think a bettter option would be to show a photo taken of a cache or the view from the cache, and then guess what the cache is.

It would be slightly regionalisticallly unfair though

Edited by Discombob

err, that looks a bit impossible as all you have to seein Henz's photo is a bend in the road. I think a bettter option would be to show a photo taken of a cache or the view from the cache, and then guess what the cache is.

It would be slightly regionalisticallly unfair though

I agree... but that bend is on the R34, I know this road pretty well so I am sure that others will pick up roads in their areas. Obviously with a little more information on the screen such as rivers or boundaries it could make it easier.

I'm very impressed that you spotted the location correctly from the photo Wazat...

It was taken in September last year...

We were on our way to what would have been my 500th cache find, but as you pointed out it was muggled...

I suppose if you know an area well enough one could maybe recognize some things from the screen...

A building or a bridge behind the windscreen could also help somehow...

I've seen a pic on GC.com somewhere in someones gallery where he drove away from a blockhouse. He took a pic of the blockhouse sitting pretty in the car's side mirror... I immediately recognized it as the blockhouse near Vereeniging, I checked it out and it turned out to be the one I thought it was... Here there was no GPS screen in play but I could spot it anyway...

So how bout we try both angles (with and without GPSs) and see how it goes...

I like this game!

Is it going to work like the quiz that you can only post if you get one right, or is it a big old free for all?

If its a big old free for all, where am I, and why am I being so stupid?

DSC01355.JPG

err, does anyone know why my image above does not display??

Edited by Discombob

I like this game!

Is it going to work like the quiz that you can only post if you get one right, or is it a big old free for all?

If its a big old free for all, where am I, and why am I being so stupid?

DSC01355.JPG

err, does anyone know why my image above does not display??

Depends where on the web you saved your pic?

I use photbucket and it's quite reliable.

OK I got it, but must admit that because I'm geographically challenged I used some other sleuthing techniques to get to the answer. So, I'm not sure if I broke any rules and therefore will not publish the answer. Wanted to check out the spot on Google Earth but it's probably the only spot in the Old Transvaal covered by clouds!

OK I got it, but must admit that because I'm geographically challenged I used some other sleuthing techniques to get to the answer. So, I'm not sure if I broke any rules and therefore will not publish the answer. Wanted to check out the spot on Google Earth but it's probably the only spot in the Old Transvaal covered by clouds!

No problem - publish where you think it is - all sluething techniques are allowed.

This looks top be in the Eastern Cape.

Not just the Eastern Cape but the Karoo to be more specific. The pepper tree - standard karoo tree - the hills in the background devoid of significant vegetation, lack of visible rust on objects, the "traditional" sedimentary mudstone and sandstone used as building material and the general ambience of the picture all shout KAROO to me! Where? My guess would be the central area - Graaf Reinet / Middelburg areas - or perhaps further west towards Beaufort west, but then we would be encroaching on the Western cape though.

Look forward to seeing the location revealed. Lovely picture BTW.

Could it be Nieu Bethesda (GCRYPG) by outop (1/2) perhaps?

Jors jy het hom! You can actually see the cache's Checkers bag under the rock on the stoep. Looking forward to your photographic trip.

Yes, Malo - I support the idea that anything goes here. It's actually tricky to get a photo that's not too obvious or completely obscure. Must admit that I stared myself blind against the landscape and environment (as Cincol described) and the 2 Goats Deli slipped through unintentionally - duh! :D

Nieu-Bethesda is a great place to visit, especially in the dead of winter. The Owl House is a wonderful experience, a place to reflect...

IMG_8119.jpg

This looks top be in the Eastern Cape.

It looks to be a cache SOMEBODY did about a year ago. Is that the front door in the background, and if so are the people in this town really short are are the windows just exceptionally big?

:D:D:):mad::o

29a6062c-0f14-476c-be0e-b10179801f4c.jpg

Hey - i recognise this family - it's the Damhuisclan minus Daddy Damhuis who obviously took the pic!! Gosh Anton, your kids have grown up quite a bit since this pic was taken! ;)

Malo, I didn't even think of Google.. have Mapsource & Gsak with all? logs :D

Where am I?

54640121-bc93-4325-b9c8-fa25034f7d65.jpg

Looks to me like somewhere in the Limpopo province, but really not sure. Another guess would be somewhere in the Free State....the pic looks really old. Was it from one of the first caches you found in 2002 or something? :D