Official mark recovery question

azog

The town where I live was previously named Passaic Township. Since NJ already has a town named Town (or City) of Passaic, it caused a lot of administrative problems. In 1993, the town voted to change names.

A mark I found was logged as recovered in 1992, under the old name. I found the mark, and reported it via the NGS Mark Recovery Entry, with only the note regarding the town name change.

Would this be sufficient cause for them to update their datasheets? Out of the whopping 8 marks which I have found, this is the only one I reported, only because of the name thing.

----------

One banana, two banana, three banana, four.

Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more.

Keep in mind that the datasheets are very historical. I am always trying to keep in mind that the description was written at a certain time and things might have changed. Certainly, an updated description to say that the name of the town is now such-and-such is very appropriate and will be useful to anyone reading the datasheet.

Townships by the definition of the (PLSS) Public Land Survey System are those boundries 6 miles by 6 miles, in the descriptions (Township 1), (Range 1),(Section 1)Township 2W, therefore would be 6 miles west of township 1, and 6 miles west of the initial point of the survey system. they also have and incorperate smaller townsites(also called townships), Cities,(townsites) within the Township'(s).

Actually the towns in question are about 25 miles apart, in seperate counties, and are unrelated. The administrative problems dealt with people from Passaic going to Passiac Township to pay their traffic fines, and stuff like that.

I don't know if this will work, but look at this map, and you'll see Passaic in the central eastern section marked with a star, and Millington (a division of Long Hill nee Passaic Township) near the south west section).

----------

One banana, two banana, three banana, four.

Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more.

quote:
Originally posted by Trailblazer # 1:

Townships by the definition of the (PLSS) Public Land Survey System are those boundries 6 miles by 6 miles, in the descriptions (Township 1), (Range 1),(Section 1)Township 2W, therefore would be 6 miles west of township 1, and 6 miles west of the initial point of the survey system. they also have and incorperate smaller townsites(also called townships), Cities,(townsites) within the Township'(s).

Trailblazer #1's comments relate to land grant states. 'Townships' in the rectangular states (as I call them) are different from townships in New Jersey, where I grew up.

As I recall it, each county is divided into townships, and there is no unincorporated area left over. A township is just one of several form of municipal givernment, for most purposes equivalent to 'city' or 'town.' I grew up in a township, and we had a township council, a police force, a school board and all the other stuff of municipal government.

Sometimes there will be a town (boro, village, etc.) nestled inside a township.

Here is a map of New Jersey's political subdivisions. (Caution: 1.3MB PDF file)

Some information on N.J. municipal government can be found on this site, which notes that "all 566 New Jersey municipalities, regardless of their form of government, can be classified as belonging to

one of five types of municipal government:

1) Borough 2) Township 3) City 4) Town 5) Village"