US Military Cachers

So how is it geocaching as a member of the armed Forces. I am about to go in to the Navy. :D

Well, I spent two years in the US and was trained by the Air Force and the Navy.

Go Navy! Glad you joined the Navy! You will see a lot of the world, depending what you do. Especially during your training you will move a lot. Later when you get deployed there is always the opportunity to grab a cache or two.

What do you plan to do in the navy? (Meaning: What you wish, what the recruiter said and what happens in the end are three different, unrelated things. :) )

GermanSailor

Huzzah - welcome aboard! : ) I'm in the Navy. I'm a sonar technician currently stationed in Japan. Have you gotten a contract for a guaranteed A School (a rating), or are you going in unrated?

The great thing about the Navy is that you tend to move around a lot, just as GermanSailor says. So you're going to get to cache in places that most people wouldn't ever get to see. Make sure, when you get to your ultimate duty station (example, a ship) that you find two buddies who like geocaching or get someone hooked on it. Most commands will require that you have a buddy or two when you visit a port.

Feel free to drop me a PM or email if you have any questions. I've only been in 9 years and have only served in one actual ship (USS McFAUL, a guided-missile destroyer), but I'd be happy to help out with any Navy-specific questions you might have.

Congrats!

Ineptuser......

The Geocaching (Groundspeak) guidelines state:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

Caches on land managed by an agency that prohibits geocaches, such as the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges).

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.

Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites or cemeteries).

Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In the United States we generally use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

Caches near or on military installations.

Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Hope that helps with yur question.

Ineptuser......

The Geocaching (Groundspeak) guidelines state:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

Caches on land managed by an agency that prohibits geocaches, such as the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges).

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.

Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites or cemeteries).

Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In the United States we generally use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

Caches near or on military installations.

Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Hope that helps with yur question.

This is not to say, ineptuser, that there are not caches at publicly accessable areas of domestic U.S. military posts. Fort Sill Oklahoma for example, has four, I believe.

And not to leave dexter-cacher out, there is also such a cache at CFB Borden (which I visited a couple of times in the 80's with the U.S. military). It's a nano on a tank though. Yuck. CFB Borden cache

Congrats on you decision to join the Navy. I am stationed in Norfolk, VA and have been in the Navy 24 years, but only caching for 6 months. It was said in a post above, "a cache in every port", I have yet to cache in a foreign port, but I have looked up caches in ports that I have visited, and they are there!! A good friend of mine is stationed in Yokosuka, Japan and is an active cacher there. Last year I made a port visit to Portsmouth, England, I wasn’t caching then, but I did walk within yards of a bunch of caches.

You will have the opportunity to cache on your off time oversees and at home port. You will need a laptop if you load caches on to your GPSr with a computer. We are not allowed to attach devices to government computers. Everywhere I have been there are places with WiFi so you will not have a problem.

San Diego and Norfolk/Hampton Roads (Fleet concentration areas) are cache rich environments. Here in Hampton Roads there is a local military geocaching group, and I believe there is one in San Diego.

Again, congratulations on your decision to join the Navy. Welcome aboard. If you have questions, shoot me an email or PM.

Bos’n Ski

might not be right now... but will when he hides them... even on the Kittyhawk is big enough. rode that bitch three west pac's

so go for it... <_<

Please speak nicely about the Kitty Hawk!! :) Of my 4 aircraft carries, KH was my favorite and most rewarding ship. When were you on there?

I would just like to say that I've recently discovered geocaching from a friend who introduced it to me and I'm in the Army deployed to Kuwait. There are quite a few caches on my post (Arifjan) and a lot of caches on other military camps here in Kuwait. There is 14 so far on this post and I've found a few but I'm glad they are here because it has given my friends and I something to do in our off time besides play video games and stuff lol.

After I find all the caches on this post I plan to place a lot more caches here before I leave because I can't really travel off post to find any others lol. There's also a 10 yr anniversary party that's being held here which should be interesting to meet other cachers.

After getting hooked on geocaching I looked up countries I've been to since joining and really wish I would have found out about this when I joined because I would have definitely gotten out of the barracks more and explored the areas lol

I don't think there are many caches on aircraft carriers. B):D

Even fewer on submarines.

That wasn't always the case.

I was kinda curious about this, but in a different aspect. My job has me going to bases all over the place, and I was wondering if any caches are hidden on bases... (probably suicide to do so these days, but still curious about it lol)

Some caches are hidden on base, with permission. Do a search on the areas that you visit. Edited by sbell111

I did 4.5 years in the Navy. Half in VA, and half in Japan. Let me say welcome aboard to you. Its good to know that people still care about serving in the military. Your selfless sacrifice will be rewarded in ways you cant imagine. I just recently got started caching, but whenever you go from port to port just take along a netbook find a wifi, and go have fun.

As far as the Kittyhawk(aka s***ty Kitty) goes rode her 3 times while in Japan. Cant say she was the prettiest one in the fleet, but she did what we needed. Had some of the best times of my life while on cruise on her. Gotta get up to Washington to go take a look at her now.

Army cacher here. Well make that National Guard Cacher. I am going to be making a few trips in the near future, and look forward to getting to cache in some new spots! In July I am heading to Ft. Sill for a few months, so you Oklahoma cachers watch out! Then after that I am making a trip overseas. Should be fun!

Congrats on joing the Navy. I am a 13 year Air Force Veteran and I got out in 1995. I have been to a lot of places that by now probably have lots of caches. Maybe some day I can go back with my wife and hit some of them. Enjoy yourself and cache as much as you can on your time off.

Congrats on joing the Navy. I am a 13 year Air Force Veteran and I got out in 1995. I have been to a lot of places that by now probably have lots of caches. Maybe some day I can go back with my wife and hit some of them. Enjoy yourself and cache as much as you can on your time off.

ya to bad Geocaching did no start until 2000. because you are right there are probably a lot there

I've got finds in over a dozen countries thanks to being in the Army and stationed in Germany.

Second point, just when you have gotten all the caches in an area, say San Antonio, they send you to Tacoma, WA. A whole new set of caches. Plus caching from state to state as you move duty stations. I've got over half the US like that. New caching names and buddies, but always something new.

-Mike

one of the best things about the military and geocaching is the TDY(temporary duty) I have got to cache in 10 or more states that I would have not been able to travel to on my own. Geocaching helps take the boredome out of your off-duty time also now i spend more time in the woods than in the bar. I have had some unique experiences that some cachers will never get to do like use a PLGR and a DGR to find caches and while in Idaho we put the coords to a cache in the POS NAV system on a bradley and drove to the cache.(it stopped within 3 feet of the cache) military and Geocaching to me is a perfect fit.

CACHE ON!