Garmin eTrex Venture HC

I'm new to the Garmin GPSr line and the daughter and I both have the eTrex model listed in the title of this topic. Since I do all of the loading of the cache listings into both units, I absolutely LOVE the fact that the geocache site is set up to just click a button to Send To GPS. (Garmin) Beautiful!

Having cached a couple of years with a Magellan eXplorist (and recently a Triton 400) I could explain what a PITA it used to be to load caches into those units. No site support, so you have to rely on Magellan's software to do so, and that just adds more steps to the process. But I would digress from my question if I got into that.

What I want to know is this. With the Garmin eTrex units, is there a way to have the GPSr show the Name of the caches in the list rather than the GC#? That Triton 400 I have does a pretty good job of saving caches to it with all the information from the cache listing pages, but I have to go through Magellan's program to do all of that. As already stated, kinda a pain in the tail! The Triton can almost make me a Paperless Cacher, but I really like the Garmin's support at the site that allows me to just send the cache info to the GPS.

Understanding that we don't have an advanced Garmin that will allow Paperless Caching, can we at least replace the GC# with the Cache Name??? I can reduce the Paper notes for our cache hunts, but the GC# instead of the Cache Name is a PITA as far as I'm concerned. In Practical Field use, the GC # is meaningless to us.

Is there a Fix to this issue?

Edited by Cowboy Camper

If you're using "Send to GPS" I don't think there is a way. If you're using GSAK you can customize it.

The problem with name is that the eTrex name field is only 14 characters long. So you can't distinguish between, say "World's Greatest Cache #1" and "World's Greatest Cache #2".

The solution is correct: Use GSAK and the "smart name" special tag (%smart).

Those smart names are unique, you can't have two waypoints with the same name on the GPSr.

GermanSailor

If you're using "Send to GPS" I don't think there is a way. If you're using GSAK you can customize it.

The problem with name is that the eTrex name field is only 14 characters long. So you can't distinguish between, say "World's Greatest Cache #1" and "World's Greatest Cache #2".

The solution is correct: Use GSAK and the "smart name" special tag (%smart).

Those smart names are unique, you can't have two waypoints with the same name on the GPSr.

GermanSailor

[/quote

You might want to walk us idiots through the process. I have messed with this problem with a vista and my head still spins when I try to recall it. I use a venture hc for a backup. I would love to show the cache names rather than numbers.

You might want to walk us through the process.

If you're using GSAK, Go to the GPS menu, select "Send waypoints..." When the dialog box comes out, in the text field "Waypoint name", enter %smart

You should also do the following (extract from GSAK website):

It is recommended that you set your smart name length to the same as your maximum GPS waypoint length (Tools=>Options=General)

Your waypoint name length is 14.

I actually prefer to make it shorter. I set it to 9 characters. In my Waypoint Name, I have : %smart=9%dif1a/%ter1a/%con1

This shows me only 9 characters of the name, but it also shows m difficulty, terrain and container size. 1 star is 1, 1.5 stars is A, 2 stars is 2, 2.5 stars is B and so on.

You can put the full name under waypoint description (set to %name)

I have this same GPS and I agree, this is a great unit to start off with. I used the software that came with my GPS unit (Garmin North America, I think). This program allowed me to load the street maps of areas all over the US. We have used this many times when going on trips, and found that having the street maps was a huge help in general use, as well as Geocaching.

The other part about this program is that you could Download and upload to and from the GPS. The program would list them all off, you could adjust the names and then upload them back to the unit.

I don't know for sure if it is any easier or harder then the other ways mentioned, since I was fine with the naming.

No need for complex GSAk - EasyGPS has a toggle to do just that.

I downloaded easyGPS last night and it's so easy that it doesn't even appear to be functional.

How do you toggle those fields in easyGPS?

I'm to the point where I want to leave well enough alone and I just load my caches into my iPod touch and I upload the caches straight to my GPSr and I go back and forth between them. That or I look online right before I go out, plan where I'm going to go, set my GPSr in motion and walk out the door.

It beats getting frustrated with software. Maybe I should just get off my cheap bastard horse and pay for an premier membership. I hear it's much more flexible. That and then I can go find the 20 or so caches in my neighborhood that are premium members only.

<_<

....Keep in mind that GC numbers are always unique and cache names are not. Especially in areas where cacher's hide series.

That's why GSAK was suggested. I don't think EasyGPS offers unique cache names (smart names).

GSAK is definitely a complicated piece of software, but it offers all levels of customization. For example, since you know every geocache starts with "GC", you can drop those two characters and use the limited amount of space for other information.

I got tired of working with the limited space on the eTrex, so got myself an Oregon end of last year.

Thanks for the help, but....

Looks like I'm Not gonna get what I was hoping for on this. Additional Software (something that I'll admit I'm not good at learning....) is not what I was looking for. Also, I don't have the $$ for the higher end GPSr's and/or a Pocket PC device that will allow total Paperless Caching.

It should appear to me that I'll just make due with my cheaper Garmin and simplified Field Notes for now. That said, I'm Thankful that my cheap Garmin has the geocache site support to simply shoot the GC # to our devices very quickly. The daughter and I are pretty happy with the Garmins we're using now and I'm happy with the fact that I really don't have to mess with any additional Software Program complications or additional steps like I did when I had the Magellan unit(s) as our Primary caching device.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I really want Paperless Caching, I can deal with the Magellan package and just carry the two devices that I already own. The Triton 400 has Terrible battery life, but it does hold all the info for any given cache. (if I mess enough with it to bother to load it up.)

Thanks for the help, but....

Looks like I'm Not gonna get what I was hoping for on this. Additional Software (something that I'll admit I'm not good at learning....) is not what I was looking for. Also, I don't have the $$ for the higher end GPSr's and/or a Pocket PC device that will allow total Paperless Caching.

Sorry. I did a quick scan of the registry and the installed location of Garmin Communicator Plugin and I don't see any configuration options.

So.... WHat I gather is that regardless of the GPSr I have, I couldn't use easyGPS or GSAK to their fullest capacity without a premium membership?

Thats a mostly correct statement. Certainly true fro GSAK. EasyGPS is still a good piece of software for non premium but you'd get more out of it with $30 per year. That is just $2.50 a month for some perspective.

I downloaded easyGPS last night and it's so easy that it doesn't even appear to be functional.

How do you toggle those fields in easyGPS?

;)

In EasyGPS go to Edit/Preferences. in the box that comes up click on the geocaching button. in the waypoint box select waypoint name and save.

Bump...

While not a big fan of 'even More fricken Software'... I've decided that maybe GSAK or easyGPS might be better than nothing so that we can have Names in our Garmins. Since I'm somewhat accustomed to that additional software with 2 Magellan GPSr's maybe a third party package won't be too difficult to learn.

Now I am Assuming (and let me know if I'm wrong on this) that if I go with a 3rd party package then I will give up the Easy Site Loading as I know it with the Garmins. Correct? At the site, all I have to do is hit the Send To GPS button and they're loaded. First mine, then my daughters. BUT, only with the GC # that I don't want.

If I get one of these 3rd party software deals here, how does that work? As easily as the site's Send To GPS button? (again Assuming, I'd have to send the cache info to the program first, right?) At this point, I'm counting on being able to get the .gpx info to that new software, and that's Far better than the simple .loc file, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forgive my persistence on this, and my stupid questions. I know what I want, but I also know that Software is my weak point in understanding this stuff. My questions aren't the best, and my comprehension of some good answers can take me a bit to grasp.

In other words, if you want to help me out here you're really gonna have to spell it out Step by Step. If you have a Link to an Owners Manual that would be Great. Sadly, I am full aware of the lack of Manuals when it comes to Software. I have yet to figure out just why that is. Y'all should have seen me trying to get the Triton going as far as I did. I got it going OK, but it's a really cumbersome unit compared to the Garmin and the battery life Really is Bad on the Triton.

Enough of my rant. What say you fine and all knowing folks?

Well I downloaded GSAK last night and started playing with it. Holy Crap!!! Confusing!!! :)

I'm gonna have to do some research on this for sure. I'll try to figure out what I want from it, but a new topic might be coming if I'm really stumped.

I did manage to get One cache to my Garmin by Name though. No descriptions, notes or Hints, but at least I got the Name listed. If I never figure out any more of the program, I'll be happy having the Primary concern solved. Thanks for the prompt to at least try it out.

Well I downloaded GSAK last night and started playing with it. Holy Crap!!! Confusing!!! :wub:

I'm gonna have to do some research on this for sure. I'll try to figure out what I want from it, but a new topic might be coming if I'm really stumped.

I did manage to get One cache to my Garmin by Name though. No descriptions, notes or Hints, but at least I got the Name listed. If I never figure out any more of the program, I'll be happy having the Primary concern solved. Thanks for the prompt to at least try it out.

Look at post #5 and post #6 for the transfer to GPS part.

As for the rest of GSAK... yes, it is quite a handful. I believe different people use it differently. If you feel a need, start another thread, or check GSAK's forums.

Well I downloaded GSAK last night and started playing with it. Holy Crap!!! Confusing!!! :laughing:

Look at post #5 and post #6 for the transfer to GPS part.

As for the rest of GSAK... yes, it is quite a handful. I believe different people use it differently. If you feel a need, start another thread, or check GSAK's forums.

Thanks! Looking back at those logs was a great help. I'm gonna try to print out this topic now. I got 5 more caches into my GPS with GSAK, but I kept forgetting a step. Printing this will help.

Thanks for the info and tips. ;) I sure appreciate it!! :unsure:

EDIT: Printing worked well. ( I even figured out the Manual Duplex mode to get 4 sheets instead of 8. )

Edited by Cowboy Camper

I just tried to send an Archived cache to my GPSr via GSAK, and it isn't working. Is there a setting I need to change to allow this?

What I'm doing in the Real World is I'm gonna place a cache where one was Archived and the original CO is OK with this. But I have to find the location per coords first.

I'll do a Manual Mark for now, but was wondering what's up with the GSAK program cause it won't send a dead cache to my GPSr. I suppose it makes sense if there's no provision for this, but I think I'm making it pretty clear here that I do some things just a little bit differently than most do. If there's a help for this, Thanks. If not, I'll deal with my strange methods myself.

At any rate, Thanks again for the helps so far. [:)]

I just tried to send an Archived cache to my GPSr via GSAK, and it isn't working. Is there a setting I need to change to allow this?

What I'm doing in the Real World is I'm gonna place a cache where one was Archived and the original CO is OK with this. But I have to find the location per coords first.

I'll do a Manual Mark for now, but was wondering what's up with the GSAK program cause it won't send a dead cache to my GPSr. I suppose it makes sense if there's no provision for this, but I think I'm making it pretty clear here that I do some things just a little bit differently than most do. If there's a help for this, Thanks. If not, I'll deal with my strange methods myself.

At any rate, Thanks again for the helps so far. [:)]

Hmm, I've never tried that before. But if you suspect it is the archived status that is stopping you, try marking it as active in GSAK first.

Select the cache, then press F3 until the color changes to white (from red).

If it is a cache you've found before, it might be marked as "Found" instead of not found. If that is the case, try to navigate to a waypoint instead of a geocache and you should see it in the list.