PMO caches which aren't caches

While I don't agree with many of the arguments for Premium Member Only caches, I understand why many owners feel they make them safer from the organised muggle or rogue GPS user. However, where the cache is a virtual of some sort (inc. event, webcam, earthcache) there seems to be a less obvious threat of theft... This has come to mind because when I saw an interesting shot on the GC.com frontpage banner, I got this page which links to a cache I can't see because I'm a lowly member. However, it is clear this is an earthcache somewhere in the world. I accept it's the owner's choice to exclude potential visitors but find this at odds with the cache's educational remit. Why have a PMO non-physical cache? Does anyone know?

While I don't agree with many of the arguments for Premium Member Only caches, I understand why many owners feel they make them safer from the organised muggle or rogue GPS user. However, where the cache is a virtual of some sort (inc. event, webcam, earthcache) there seems to be a less obvious threat of theft... This has come to mind because when I saw an interesting shot on the GC.com frontpage banner, I got this page which links to a cache I can't see because I'm a lowly member. However, it is clear this is an earthcache somewhere in the world. I accept it's the owner's choice to exclude potential visitors but find this at odds with the cache's educational remit. Why have a PMO non-physical cache? Does anyone know?

I was tempted to say safety as its in a cave but with a D/T of 2/2 not sure that is the justification. :)

An event can't be PM only. I didn't realise that an EC could be either.
This must have changed as, in the past, I've seen a PMO event and asked the setter why. The why was because of 'auto-pilot error' and they quickly changed it, thanking me for spotting it. I guess the tick-box option's been removed.

Out of interest - why can't an event be PM only? There have (apparently) been women only events in the past, and challenge type events for people who've completed certain series, so why not PM only events??

Edited to add - obviously only the event page could be "PM only", as there probably wouldn't be any way to physically stop a non PM from attending..... :)

Edited by keehotee
Edited to add - obviously only the event page could be "PM only", as there probably wouldn't be any way to physically stop a non PM from attending..... :unsure:
Apart from them not knowing where or when it was being held, you mean? ;)

Of course....never stopped a non PM from logging a members only cache before, did it?? :):D

Edited to add - obviously only the event page could be "PM only", as there probably wouldn't be any way to physically stop a non PM from attending..... :unsure:
Apart from them not knowing where or when it was being held, you mean? ;)
Of course....never stopped a non PM from logging a members only cache before, did it?? :):D
Good point well made :anibad:

Out of interest - why can't an event be PM only? There have (apparently) been women only events in the past, and challenge type events for people who've completed certain series, so why not PM only events??

Edited to add - obviously only the event page could be "PM only", as there probably wouldn't be any way to physically stop a non PM from attending..... :)

From the cache listing guidelines: Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers

The PMO checkbox cannot be checked if the cache type is Event.

From the cache listing guidelines: Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers

The PMO checkbox cannot be checked if the cache type is Event.

So I would deduce from that, these supposed women only events are not allowed.

On the non PM's logging a PMO cache, whats the deal with wives logging the cache, when the hubby for instance is a PM and they are not?

I am a PM and my wife isn't but I am certain that as we cache together, we'll look at PMO caches as the come up in my PQ's. I see no reason to pay for two memberships, but does that mean it's unacceptable for my wife to log the PMO cache?

Edited to add - obviously only the event page could be "PM only", as there probably wouldn't be any way to physically stop a non PM from attending..... :laughing:
Apart from them not knowing where or when it was being held, you mean? :anitongue:

When you've got a picture of the pub where the event is held it's hard to imagine any cacher worthy of the name not being able to figure it out, if they were local and felt like attending.

Edited to add - obviously only the event page could be "PM only", as there probably wouldn't be any way to physically stop a non PM from attending..... :laughing:
Apart from them not knowing where or when it was being held, you mean? :anitongue:

When you've got a picture of the pub where the event is held it's hard to imagine any cacher worthy of the name not being able to figure it out, if they were local and felt like attending.

I failed to find a small town some time ago and it very nearly cost me one of the best event caches of my life.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

On the non PM's logging a PMO cache, whats the deal with wives logging the cache, when the hubby for instance is a PM and they are not?

I am a PM and my wife isn't but I am certain that as we cache together, we'll look at PMO caches as the come up in my PQ's. I see no reason to pay for two memberships, but does that mean it's unacceptable for my wife to log the PMO cache?

A normal member can log PMO Caches. It's just a matter of changing the right part of the cache's url. This forum will help, just search for it.

GermanSailor

According to the guidelines you are right. But it seems to be possible to list an event as member only. Has to be an error by Groundspeak.

Not any more. It was possible at one stage but that bug was fixed some months ago.

:anitongue:

There is an unofficial back door (glitch) which I use for my daughter to log PM caches. But you need a PM to open the door for you. It is also polite to perhaps drop an email to the cache owner explaining why a non PM has found the cache. So far I have never had any issues with my daughter logging PM only caches.

Drop me a PM if you are interested in knowing how to use the back door.

Edited to add - obviously only the event page could be "PM only", as there probably wouldn't be any way to physically stop a non PM from attending..... :P
Apart from them not knowing where or when it was being held, you mean? :D
Ah, but as a basic member can't see the cache page, they can't see the picture. They'd have to ask a PM where and when it's on, and we all know how fruitless asking a PM anything can be... ;) (A little bit of politics there) Anyway, as someone said, the 'Check if you only want Premium and Charter Members to view this cache' box is now non-selectable for CITO and general events. Still nothing stopping the owner of an old virtual making it PMO; I just checked.
I failed to find a small town some time ago and it very nearly cost me one of the best event caches of my life.

:lol::lol::D:lol::D

Was this one of those 'driving north instead of south' moments? ;) Edited by Simply Paul