Advice for making mini survival kits (for swag)

Hi there, recently got into geocaching, found 12 so far and hid my first one today. I want to make some mini survival kits for use as FTF prizes and possibly as trading swag, (though the expense may prohibit that). I've got some items I'm definitely going to use, but I'm looking for advice on some others. Items already going in the kits are a button compass, mini firesteel and vaseline infused cotton firestarters, small bandages, small fishing gear, small signal mirrors. The items I'm not sure about are small salt packets for making wild foods more palatable and replacing electrolytes, small vials of potassium permanganate for water purification, and most difficult to decide, a condom for use as a water vessel. I know that geocaching is often a family hobby and I'm not sure many people would appreciate being put in a situation of having to explain to their child what a condom is, however it can be very useful in a survival situation. What do you guys think about these items? Also, can you recommend some other items to put in the kits? Thanks very much.

Quick edit: in a pinch, a condom can also be used as a firestarter. Partially fill it with water, form it into a sphere and use it as a lens to focus the sun. It actually works.

Edited by jasontimmer

Hi there, recently got into geocaching, found 12 so far and hid my first one today. I want to make some mini survival kits for use as FTF prizes and possibly as trading swag, (though the expense may prohibit that). I've got some items I'm definitely going to use, but I'm looking for advice on some others. Items already going in the kits are a button compass, mini firesteel and vaseline infused cotton firestarters, small bandages, small fishing gear, small signal mirrors. The items I'm not sure about are small salt packets for making wild foods more palatable and replacing electrolytes, small vials of potassium permanganate for water purification, and most difficult to decide, a condom for use as a water vessel. I know that geocaching is often a family hobby and I'm not sure many people would appreciate being put in a situation of having to explain to their child what a condom is, however it can be very useful in a survival situation. What do you guys think about these items? Also, can you recommend some other items to put in the kits? Thanks very much.

Quick edit: in a pinch, a condom can also be used as a firestarter. Partially fill it with water, form it into a sphere and use it as a lens to focus the sun. It actually works.

Maybe you could place the condom in a small paper envelope. A sticker could be placed on the outside explaining its uses.

I have seen bandages in caches before, their packaging doesn't seem to hold up. Placing these in a cheap mini ziplock bag would help preserve them. These are available in bulk online for a couple pennies.

How would you package the whole kit? Maybe a pencil bag?

And I don't know if salt applies to the "animals will try to eat the cache" problem with food being put in. I did see at our local dollar store some mini multi tools a while back, that might be worth checking out.

I was thinking that salt, being almost odorless, would be quite difficult indeed for even an animal to find within several airtight containers. Multitools might be too expensive. I found the compasses for $3 for 20, and the firesteels for 50 cents each. Super cheap.

Maybe you could place the condom in a small paper envelope. A sticker could be placed on the outside explaining its uses.

I have seen bandages in caches before, their packaging doesn't seem to hold up. Placing these in a cheap mini ziplock bag would help preserve them. These are available in bulk online for a couple pennies.

How would you package the whole kit? Maybe a pencil bag?

I was hoping to package each kit in a film canister. The bandages I was looking at are steristrips, usually quite expensive for anyone without easy access to a hospital. (Fortunately I'm a nurse.) They are perfect for small to medium wound closure, and come already packaged in tough, sterile, waterproof, bendable packages. I also have access to limitless mini ziploc bags, I'll package each item separately in one.

Edited by jasontimmer

I think this is a great idea. One of the best survival items is a whistle for summoning help.

I think the average person would not consider a condom a suitable water vessel. I keep a couple of quart size freezer ziplocks in my kit for the same purpose. I also carry a couple of Micropur tablets for purifying water. Another plus for the ziplock: cut off a tiny corner and use the ziplock for irrigating a wound.

If you include any chemical make sure to include instructions for use. You wouldn't want someone to swallow a Micropur tablet for instance.

Edited by Mom-n-Andy

Sounds like a cool idea..I might make one just to carry,maybe on a carabiner hook.How about instead of a condom,a latex"or non latex"glove.Its multipurpose.This kit idea kinda reminds me of the survival knives that have this type of stuff in the handle.

Definitely use non latex especially in a kit for someone else, who may be allergic and may not know they're allergic.

i made a variation on the altoid tin — a first aid kit. didn't include any of the cutting devices, but did include little packets of sunscreen, anti-bacterial ointment, alcohol wipes, Band-Aids, etc. that was the first group. then i made bigger ones using heavy-duty zip locks with more of the above, including a splinter kit, and more things i would want to find to use in a light emergency. there are several online stores where you can purchase large quantities of those packets - like 50 or so. put them all together, slapped a label that said "first aid kit from RedShoesGirl and voila. a useful survival kit can't be put in a film canister or even an altoid tin, but you can provide something a person could carry around for those little first-aid emergencies.

the price of a homemade first-aid kit can add up quickly, though.

best thing i ever found in a cache, a swiss-army-type knife. still have it, still use it. before they were "banned."

rsg

And I don't know if salt applies to the "animals will try to eat the cache" problem with food being put in. I did see at our local dollar store some mini multi tools a while back, that might be worth checking out.

Salt is one of the primary attractants hunters use for game management.

Bury a salt block in the ground and water will leach the salt from it...every animal in the forest will come to lick the ground, digging big holes. If the salt is in a container they will tear it apart trying to get to it.

Salt may not have much of an odor to humans, but deer and raccoons and bears (oh my!) can smell it a mile away.

Not at all good for caches.

I like the idea. I'd like to prepare one for myself. The condom package could be spay painted / Sharpied over, and a homemade label marked "Water Container" stuck on it.

Good idea. I think the condom is just too useful to leave out. I'll make sure to note that it is a latex product.

I think this is a great idea. One of the best survival items is a whistle for summoning help.

I think the average person would not consider a condom a suitable water vessel. I keep a couple of quart size freezer ziplocks in my kit for the same purpose. I also carry a couple of Micropur tablets for purifying water. Another plus for the ziplock: cut off a tiny corner and use the ziplock for irrigating a wound.

If you include any chemical make sure to include instructions for use. You wouldn't want someone to swallow a Micropur tablet for instance.

I think in a survival situation, the average person would use anything as a water vessel. A condom would be a godsend, no? They pack into tiny containers and can hold LOTS of water. I'll make sure to add lots of documentation for using anything I add.

Salt is one of the primary attractants hunters use for game management.

Bury a salt block in the ground and water will leach the salt from it...every animal in the forest will come to lick the ground, digging big holes. If the salt is in a container they will tear it apart trying to get to it.

Salt may not have much of an odor to humans, but deer and raccoons and bears (oh my!) can smell it a mile away.

Not at all good for caches.

Yeah, you're right about the salt. I'll skip it.

a useful survival kit can't be put in a film canister or even an altoid tin, but you can provide something a person could carry around for those little first-aid emergencies.

rsg

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more about the survival kit. If it contained nothing but a single match or a piece of string, it would be more useful than nothing, wouldn't it?

I do like the idea of first aid though, I'm really thinking about using steristrips.

Cost is a factor weighing on my mind. Most of the items I can get for free, others, like the compass, I found super cheap. So far, so good.

Also, the duct tape is a great idea. I think I'll wrap some around the outside of the kit.

Instead of Swag/FTF prize, you could mount it permanently in the inside of the cache for those visitors that need a medic station. I've had such a need on several memorable occasions. Another good thing to include is towelettes soaked in bug repellent or poison ivy medicine . A couple times I'd wished I'd found one of THOSE!!!

a useful survival kit can't be put in a film canister or even an altoid tin, but you can provide something a person could carry around for those little first-aid emergencies.

rsg

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more about the survival kit. If it contained nothing but a single match or a piece of string, it would be more useful than nothing, wouldn't it?

I do like the idea of first aid though, I'm really thinking about using steristrips.

Cost is a factor weighing on my mind. Most of the items I can get for free, others, like the compass, I found super cheap. So far, so good.

Also, the duct tape is a great idea. I think I'll wrap some around the outside of the kit.

yes, but who goes out without a basic survival kit, if not more than just the basics? but i have gone out without a silly bandaid, or not replenished the first aid kit. or sunscreen. always using that stuff up it seems. i guess we all have different needs and things we must have with us at all times.

maybe duct tape around something on the inside of your kit. on the outside, you would have to unwrap the tape just to get at the splinter remover - now you have all mushed up duct tape. :)

rsg

Instead of Swag/FTF prize, you could mount it permanently in the inside of the cache for those visitors that need a medic station. I've had such a need on several memorable occasions. Another good thing to include is towelettes soaked in bug repellent or poison ivy medicine . A couple times I'd wished I'd found one of THOSE!!!

I kinda like this idea too.A little container with a red cross on it.You could put "Emergency use only.leave in cache".If someone used it the could let the owner know when they log the cache that it needs replenished.

rsg

yes, but who goes out without a basic survival kit, if not more than just the basics? but i have gone out without a silly bandaid, or not replenished the first aid kit. or sunscreen. always using that stuff up it seems. i guess we all have different needs and things we must have with us at all times.

maybe duct tape around something on the inside of your kit. on the outside, you would have to unwrap the tape just to get at the splinter remover - now you have all mushed up duct tape. :)

rsg

I'd stay away from leaving sunblock in a geocache. Most "Bear Aware" guidelines suggest keeping it with your food items, because it can act as an attractant.

Instructables has some great mini survival kit guides. I've been a member for such a long time, that I don't know what the site looks like to nonmembers anymore. There have been so many changes!

I hope you can still view this link. Not sure if you will be able to view all steps and images on one page, though. It will probably have ads. Everything was free for a few years, but then the economy hit the site pretty hard. :)

Instructables: Mini survival kits

Even though I agree that condoms have many uses beyond the #1 intended use, I don't believe that they should be put in caches, even as part of a survival kit.

A glove of similar material will suffice and has as many uses as the condom with the possible exception of the #1 use. A glove would carry more water and composes more material than the condom which could lead it to being used for even more than one purpose at a time, if cut.

Being a huge fan of survival gear when I hike, I really like your idea of Survival containers as swag. Those of us who spend our time in remote areas searching for geocaches, wouldn't have issues with survival gear. I realize Groundspeak policy prohibits items like multi-tools, and matches, I've been to many remote caches that were filled with items like this, and nobody complained.

The electrolyte depletion is a way overrated in a survival situation. Dehydration, hyperthermia, and hypothermia are far more common.

A word of advice, don't put your survival kits in park & grab caches. They will disappear "quicker than a pizza at a weight watchers convention." Someone will trade your survival kit for a used lottery ticket.

We design and build packaging machinery at work and after doing some bandaid machines there was a load of leftover rolls of bandages of various sizes and types. I snagged some and think it's great swag (especially for rural tough finds) to put a small roll of bainaids in the containers. Anyone ten miles out on a hot summer hike feeling a hot spot growing on their ankle would appreciate that... although we've found a clump of Spanish moss can help, too (except for the mites that tag along) <_<