"A little help finding the mark"

The AIIM Team

I found the location of BC2519 today. The witness post was there, but no mark.

I would like to ask for some help clarifying something on the mark data.

It states:

Marker Type: metal rod

Setting: stainless steel rod

Stability: Most reliable and expected to hold position/elevation well.

Designation: W 405

but in the description it states:

NOTE--ACCESS TO THE DATUM POINT IS THROUGH A 5-INCH LOGO CAP

Are these two things not exclusive of another? Can you have a metal rod marker with a logo cap?

Anywho, there was nothing there. I have a photo of the witness post and the light pole remains and the mark is supposed to be between them.

There is a good story to this hunt involving the gentleman that owns the property. It is long so I am linking back to my personal website A little help finding the mark

Maybe with a metal detector I could find it, I don't know. I'll post the picture I took to the official mark page when I get it developed.

The A.I.M. Team: Ali, Ivan and Lil Mikayla, Jacksonville, Florida

Equipment: Garmin eMap 32MB memory, Palm VIIx, Old College Eastport backpack, VW Jetta Wagon and Isuzu Trooper (hers) icon_wink.gif

Here is an example of a logo cap. Under it was a benchmark disk, not the top of a rod, but you get the idea.

I note that your benchmark's page says "location is SCALED" so (you probably already know this) go only by the verbal directions, not the coordinates.

Usually as you face the writing (if any) on a witness post, the station is between you and the witness post. Perhaps not in this case, though. I have seen 2 places now, where the witness post is about 50 feet from where the station should be and the station seems to be gone, but the witness post is still around (probably moved).

If you go back, you could bring a several inch long piece of coathanger wire or some such stiff wire to use as a probe. A 5 inch disk can hide under an inch or so of soil, but a probe can find it. That will save on digging.

Make sure with pacing measurements (or some safe estimation) that those 2 roads haven't widened so much since 1991 that they are over the top of the station now.

quote:
Originally posted by The A.I.M. Team:

I found the location of bc2519 today. The witness post was there, but no mark.

I would like to ask for some help clarifying something on the mark data.

AH2889 is a good example of what I found when I went looking for a metal rod. Basically, you are right on both counts. The cover is over a sleeve that contains the metal rod. The metal rod in AH2889 has some sort of fins, but most of them that I have seen do not. See

AH2890 for an example without fins.

I hope this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by RogBarn:

The metal rod in AH2889 has some sort of fins, but most of them that I have seen do not. See

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=AH2890 for an example without fins.

Those fins are pretty cool looking. Ones that I've found like this, the rod looks like a piece of rebar, which is yucky looking compared to fins! icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"