Travel bug etiquette

Subedei

Hello

Just a quick question about removing bugs.

If there are more than one bug in a cache should one;

a: take them all so that they move on quicker.

b: just take one and leave some for others to find.

Many thanks, in advance

Sub

Edited by Subedei

if you can move them all soon, than by all means take them

sometimes people attach a note with their TB's containing the Current Goal, if there is one and i know i can't help it i usually leave it for the next cacher

personally i don't take trackables and just drop them after a short distance, not that is anything wrong with that, i just prefer to give them at least 20KM of mileage

Edited by t4e

What is a the etiquette for how long you can hold on to a travel bug? I took my son on our first hunt today and found one. He wants to place it in another cache the next time we go out. I only have him every other weekend to really go anywhere to put any distance on it, would this be acceptable, or should we just do a quick drop with no real distance?

Two weeks is usually OK between the time you pick it up and drop it off. Just recently someone found one of my coins in the bottom of their backpack, they had done more than a thousand caches in the six months they had it. I wrote them twice in that time, the first time they didn't answer and I figured it was a goner. The second time I wrote they actually went to the trouble to look ... now it's moving again. Sometimes things happen and folks for one reason or another can't get back to caching soon enough or misplace a bug. Most TB owners understand this and will send a gentle reminder if they feel you have held on to it too long.

Cheers

Panda Inc

What is a the etiquette for how long you can hold on to a travel bug? I took my son on our first hunt today and found one. He wants to place it in another cache the next time we go out. I only have him every other weekend to really go anywhere to put any distance on it, would this be acceptable, or should we just do a quick drop with no real distance?

Every move helps, even the small jumps.

Every move helps, even the small jumps.

This is especially true if a travler is moved from a low find cache to a high find cache and/or Travel Bug Hotel. Sometime the distance between the two is less than a mile, but can substantially increase the probability that another cacher will be able to help the traveler much more than you are able. If nothing else, it still confirms that the traveler is still out there (for the benefit of the owner and others).

sometimes people attach a note with their TB's containing the Current Goal, if there is one and i know i can't help it i usually leave it for the next cacher

personally i don't take trackables and just drop them after a short distance, not that is anything wrong with that, i just prefer to give them at least 20KM of mileage

Our family is getting ready to take a 3 day trip and plan on doing a lot of geocaching. I have read several conflicting postings and rules in regards to TB/GC's. Some say you only take one if you leave one, (i.e. trade). I thought the intention, as you state above, is if you can move them along on their goal or journey then move them along.

My question is that if we pick some up on the way and move them to their goal sites (i.e. skully wants to visit cemetaries) and others heading in one direction or another, is it OK to move several at a time? I plan on logging them at the end of the day each day.

Some of the motels that we are looking at show 3 to 7 bugs. Some I can not help and I will leave some in the cache for others. Just wanted to see if I needed to trade one for one, or can I take several if I drop off at other caches to keep them moving.

Thanks,

SilleB

Our family is getting ready to take a 3 day trip and plan on doing a lot of geocaching. I have read several conflicting postings and rules in regards to TB/GC's. Some say you only take one if you leave one, (i.e. trade). I thought the intention, as you state above, is if you can move them along on their goal or journey then move them along.

My question is that if we pick some up on the way and move them to their goal sites (i.e. skully wants to visit cemetaries) and others heading in one direction or another, is it OK to move several at a time? I plan on logging them at the end of the day each day.

Some of the motels that we are looking at show 3 to 7 bugs. Some I can not help and I will leave some in the cache for others. Just wanted to see if I needed to trade one for one, or can I take several if I drop off at other caches to keep them moving.

Thanks,

SilleB

Travel bugs are not trade items. If you can assist the bugs towards its goal it doesn't matter if you move 2 or 20.

If anyone wants to complain about you assisting my bugs send them here and we'll chat.

Just say NO to Travel Bug trade restrictions and Move them bugs!

Edited by BlueDeuce

BD is 100% correct.

Although a Cache Owner may want to put "trade restrictions" on travelers, it is against "policy" to do so. The travelers are not theirs to put restrictions upon. They may want you to trade tit-for-tat, but it is only what they want -- and that doesn't hold much water.

Feel free to take them all, if you can help them. If you cannot help them, it is probably best to leave them for the next cacher. ;)

this good info i have TB of my own and placed it early this week in own cache and i am going to Missouri this weekend and i wil be picking my own TB up and taking it to Missouri and dropping it off somewhere in Missouri and picking up others to bring back to Arkansas :anicute: