triton 400

First and formost i just bought my first gps because i saw it on sale at walmart for 100, its a magellan triton 400, i just downloaded the newest update for it, i have many questions so please if need be read this more then once to answer my questions, i do not want to hear oh thats a crappy gps etc go return it etc...

1. Im cheap is there any place that is easy to get to, to get to free maps im here around fort wayne indiana.

2. i am on the geocaching website and i found a few that i want to store in my gps so when im in the area i can find them, why are the cords different then what i can enter on my gps? I have it set up for lat/long. but i cant make it look like this ex. N 41° 07.683 W 085° 02.272, what setting should i be on to but it in from the website.

3. is there a way to put google maps on the gps? i really hate the bare map that is on it from factory, no roads or anything but some main ones and highways.

please be clear on your answers i dont know much about the gps world and what you can do with everything. thanks in advance.

First and formost i just bought my first gps because i saw it on sale at walmart for 100, its a magellan triton 400, i just downloaded the newest update for it, i have many questions so please if need be read this more then once to answer my questions, i do not want to hear oh thats a crappy gps etc go return it etc...

1. Im cheap is there any place that is easy to get to, to get to free maps im here around fort wayne indiana.

2. i am on the geocaching website and i found a few that i want to store in my gps so when im in the area i can find them, why are the cords different then what i can enter on my gps? I have it set up for lat/long. but i cant make it look like this ex. N 41° 07.683 W 085° 02.272, what setting should i be on to but it in from the website.

3. is there a way to put google maps on the gps? i really hate the bare map that is on it from factory, no roads or anything but some main ones and highways.

please be clear on your answers i dont know much about the gps world and what you can do with everything. thanks in advance.

I have a Triton 400 as well. These should help...

Good cheap maps can be found at Maps 4 Me.

Step By Steps...

Changing Map Datum

1. Press Menu->view->Settings->Navagation

2. Where it says Map Datum(second one Down), make sure WGS84 is selected.

Changing coordinate systems

Here you go...

1. Menu->View->Settings->Navagation

2. Highlight Lat/Long Press Select(You may need to press it twice) It should say...Accuracy

3. Change that to Deg/Min.MMM

Transferring Geocaches from the website

You have to use Magellan's VantagePoint software.

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files. If you are not a premium member, follow the same procedure using the .loc files, except for the use of pocket queries; and you will not get the info listed at the bottom, only the location of the caches..

You can use either step 2a, 2b or 2c to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File(or LOC Waypoint File) and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx or .loc(accordingly))

2. Choose option a, b or c.

a. Upload the .gpx/.loc file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the Import Icon, 3rd from the left; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

b. To import multiple gpx/loc files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx/loc files and open VP. Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want); then drag them into VP

c. Create a Pocket Query; unzip zip it; then import in into VP.

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb. Then Click the Transfer From PC to My GPS icon where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton(if using .gpx files) is…

1. Name

2. Short Description

3. Long Description

4. Cache Type

5. Coordinates

6. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

:P THANK YOU so much for positing this information. I just bought the Triton 400 today (it was cheaper then the 300 that I had been looking at) for the reason of the geocache section of it. I then went to the geocache website and found out it didn't have a download link for the Triton. I was so glad to see the information you posted about how to get the information to the Triton (especially pocket caches). Before I got the handheld unit I used 3 different items when I went geocaching. My Garmin for driving to the location (since I could download the coordinates to it, and to find the cache til I got Geomate Jr and I hated it when it rained because my $400 Garmin is not waterproof), Geomate Jr. for finding the cache when I got to the location, and my Ipod so I had all the pertinate information on hand. Now, I can use the Triton for everything except the driving and I can easily type the coordinates into the Garmin to get there. My two Geocaching partners don't have a GPS unit, and they work in a different city then where we live so I'm going to give them the Geomate Jr. so they can cache when our days off don't coincide. Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! :laughing:

Changing coordinate systems

Here you go...

1. Menu->View->Settings->Navagation

2. Highlight Lat/Long Press Select(You may need to press it twice) It should say...Accuracy

3. Change that to Deg/Min.MMM

Transferring Geocaches from the website

You have to use Magellan's VantagePoint software.

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files. If you are not a premium member, follow the same procedure using the .loc files, except for the use of pocket queries; and you will not get the info listed at the bottom, only the location of the caches..

You can use either step 2a, 2b or 2c to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File(or LOC Waypoint File) and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx or .loc(accordingly))

2. Choose option a, b or c.

a. Upload the .gpx/.loc file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the Import Icon, 3rd from the left; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

b. To import multiple gpx/loc files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx/loc files and open VP. Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want); then drag them into VP

c. Create a Pocket Query; unzip zip it; then import in into VP.

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb. Then Click the Transfer From PC to My GPS icon where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton(if using .gpx files) is…

1. Name

2. Short Description

3. Long Description

4. Cache Type

5. Coordinates

6. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description