What is a loggable find for an underground Benchmark?

NevaP

What constitutes a loggable find for a benchmark that's described as recessed below ground surface?

Last week, while attending a conference at the Archbold Biological Research Station in Highland Co., Florida I looked for AF7653 which is described as an aluminum alloy rod driven into the ground to refusal with a logo cap that is recessed 5 inches below the surface and the station recessed 11 inches below the surface.

The area where it's supposed to be is a grassy island in a parking lot. Following the measurements given from three of the curbs around the area and from a fire hydrant I found a distinct depression in the ground at which my GPS says I am 0 ft away. Furthermore I could find the three Reference points - nails and disks set in the nearby pavements. I'm reasoanly sure it's down there but I didn't feel I was authorized to dig or probe and see.

Is it necessary to probe/dig up/metal detect one of these underground stations to log it as a find?

Thanks for any information/opinions anyone may have. icon_razz.gif

NevaLP

benchmark. I was hunting for a benchmark that was described as 6 inches below the surface. On my first trip I located the witness post and measured out the exact spot. Left that day, meaning to return with a "scraping" action tool to get to the marker. I returned about 2 weeks later. Someone (I think a survey party) had exposed the marker. Turned out that just under the grass surface was a PVC tube, and 6 inches down was the survey marker. No digging required.

I would not log a find unless I actually saw the marker.

Good hunting

HJS

Here's one that my coworker and I unearthed last night:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=DH2353

We felt the depression in the soil and dug throught about an inch of sod to find the access cover and the rod was inside the PVC pipe beneath the access cover. This is not the first I have found in this manner. Sometimes it is necessary to dig to find 'em. I wouldn't log it if I didn't see it. Happy hunting!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

Chances are that if you were to remove some of the grass you'd find the logo cap - a metal, hinged lid - and the benchmark another 6 inches below that. It's common to find newer benchmarks in protective casings recessed in the ground like that, especially in busy urban areas. It probably would not have been wrong for you to do a bit of digging, as you probably wouldn't have needed to do much.

As far as logging it as a find: I would have to say no, but if you feel you were in the right spot, then it's your call. You can't really say you found it since you didn't actually see it. Although all of the ties pointed you to the depression (I checked out the description and there are a lot), you may have found a sprinkler head in the bottom of the hole.

I found one a few months ago similar to the one you were looking for. I posted pictures on the benchmark page here: AC6105

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

I have been right near lots of benchmark locations but I didn't find them. Some even had depressions in the ground. They aren't finds. I did not log them as finds. Either you see the station or you don't. If you don't, it's not a find. When I park my car, I'm near the station. However, I don't log it unless I see it.

When I read a PID description that says anything about "station is below the surface" I don't even go there, and pick another PID to look for instead. I just don't want to be tempted to dig. Most benchmarks are in public property. However, as everyone knows, there's a big difference between public property and your own property - on your own property, you are the property manager, but on public property, you aren't, and you aren't supposed to dig there.

How about this one.... LF0149

It is one that I searched for, but the lid was bolted on. I talked to someone that worked there (it is a college) and he said that when the survey crews are working that they always go into that hole to find their mark. I logged it as a find.

I have looked up a Benchmark that I plan on looking for (when my new unit gets here! icon_biggrin.gif) and it says that it is located 8" under ground. Rather than just random digging to locate a BM, like someone else suggested, use a rod to probe and see if you can find it. ALSO, I have the advantage of owning a nice metal detector so locating the BM hopefully won't be a problem.

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

We felt the depression in the soil and dug throught about an inch of sod to find the access cover and the rod was inside the PVC pipe beneath the access cover.

I hunted down a marker the other day that was just below the sod. (I could feel it with my knife.) As I was poking at it, the home owner came out raising hell about surveyors digging up his yard. I assurred him I wasn't going to do any digging and left with my trowel before he fetched his shotgun. icon_redface.gif

-- Its from aliens. I seen um. --

Be careful digging through sod!

It's one thing to dig in someone's yard i.e. their private property, but it's another to dig in grass that is on the ROW i.e. public land. Even when I dig on public land, I am still respectful and replace the grass. I had a guy come out to edge of the road where I was the other day wanting to know what I was doing there on 'his' property. I told him what I was doing then pointed out the County ROW marker about 3' away and then explained to him that it was public property. It seems like the further you go out into to rural areas, the more 'uptight' people seem to be icon_smile.gif

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

I understand about the public property and being where you can be legally, but why not ask permission before going onto private land. A great trait I have acquired is the gift of talking with landowners. I've knocked on MANY doors trying to get permission to hunt farms. Most of the time the farmers won't care, they just appreciate being asked!

I once had a guy turn me down for hunting his place, but he thanked me several times for calling first.

Thanks to all who have replied to my query. I had more or less decided that this was almost a find but not quite becuase I don't *really* know if it is down there or not.

I will post a note, with a photo, but I won't log a find.

Thanks again for helping a newbie.

NevaLP