Loading cache coordinates to a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx

Is it possible to load cache coordinates directly to a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx from the geocache.com site? It appears it should be doable from the 'Send to GPS' option on a cache page. My device is registered and it is listed as a found device, and I get a 'Geocache GC22ZDR.gpx saved successfully' message. At this point I'm lost. I can't determine if or where the cache info was saved :blink: Any hints would be much appreciated. Thanks, Splash

Is it possible to load cache coordinates directly to a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx from the geocache.com site? It appears it should be doable from the 'Send to GPS' option on a cache page. My device is registered and it is listed as a found device, and I get a 'Geocache GC22ZDR.gpx saved successfully' message. At this point I'm lost. I can't determine if or where the cache info was saved :blink: Any hints would be much appreciated. Thanks, Splash

Search for it by name, GC22ZDR and it should show up. If it's fairly close it should show up if you search by closest. Waypoints that are some distance away from your GPS location won't show up unless you search by name. Hope this answers your question.

Sure sounds to me like it worked. The cache will be stored in both the Geocache and Waypoint areas in the Find screen.

Search for it by name, GC22ZDR and it should show up. If it's fairly close it should show up if you search by closest. Waypoints that are some distance away from your GPS location won't show up unless you search by name. Hope this answers your question.

Edited by Splashii

I wasn't aware you can search by name on the eTrex Vista. I took a look and it wasn't obvious, but I'll check the user manual in a bit. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sure sounds to me like it worked. The cache will be stored in both the Geocache and Waypoint areas in the Find screen.

Thanks knowschad. I thought it worked too, but there is nothing in either the Geocache or Waypoint areas under the Find option. I've tried several times with multiple caches. Now that you've confirmed the areas it should have displayed in, at least I know where a successful save will appear. I'll try again with fingers crossed.

lowest left button> lowest left button (again) >find > geocaches

You can leave it on this screen when downloading the caches, and they show up as you download them.

Thanks facade66. Your response confirms that I should be finding the successful transmissions under Find -> Geocaches. I tried a transfer with the GPS displaying the main menu, and again with it opened to the Geocache option like you suggested. Still no coors are transferring. It's probably pilot error, so I'll try again now that I'm sure were the successful saves will appear.

For some reason the eTrex series filters out distant waypoints if you select show nearest, even if there are no way points close to your current location. If you select show by name instead, all way points are displayed. It's been a while since I had my Legend HCx, but I seem to remember that from the way point screen, you push the right button and then select display by name from the drop down menu.

Is it possible to load cache coordinates directly to a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx from the geocache.com site? It appears it should be doable from the 'Send to GPS' option on a cache page. My device is registered and it is listed as a found device, and I get a 'Geocache GC22ZDR.gpx saved successfully' message. At this point I'm lost. I can't determine if or where the cache info was saved :D Any hints would be much appreciated. Thanks, Splash

It works, to find by name:

Main Menu

Find

Geocache

Menu (it's the lower left side button)

Find by Name

Enter (the center of the joystick)

Make sure you pick your GPS with the Send to GPS option and not the datacard if mounted as those will not display on the unit.

Edited by coggins

Thank you to all who commented, and I do apologize for the lag in my responses, as I was on vacation shortly after posting my question. In fact that was why I needed some help. The problem was indeed the issue with searching by nearest. I live in Maryland and was trying to enter coords for a vacation in Aruba. After coming home, I tried the process again using the caches I've hidden nearby, and voila... they appeared. I could even watch them download as was suggested in a previous entry. Then to determine if the location was the issue, I tried downloading an Aruba cache. No luck, it did not show up. I then followed the directions for searching by name, and the Aruba cache appeared. The Garmin eTrex Vista HCx is such a kewl GPS, it would be nice if the user's manual was a little more thorough. I really do appreciate the assist on this one!