GPS distance

Unless you are traversing up and down lots of remarkably steep slopes over a large distance, the distance travelled over a smooth earth is very close to what you actually did most times.

Having said that - I do not believe that the Oregon is including vertical travel.

Yes, it makes surprisingly little difference. Even on a recent hike I did of around 20km with over 1250m of climb it only made about 0.2km difference, about 1% at most, so don't sweat it.

Unless you are traversing up and down lots of remarkably steep slopes over a large distance, the distance travelled over a smooth earth is very close to what you actually did most times.

Having said that - I do not believe that the Oregon is including vertical travel.

Yes, it makes surprisingly little difference. Even on a recent hike I did of around 20km with over 1250m of climb it only made about 0.2km difference, about 1% at most, so don't sweat it.

Wow I did not realise the difference was so little.

But is it as I thought that the Oregon gives the horizontal distance?

The distance shown is horizontal only. Vertical is shown as altitude change. Actual distance can be calculated.

It can be a large difference around here... One hike I recall being 800 m vertical in 1500 m horizontal.

1,500 m horizontal / 800 m vertical is a pretty rugged hike (almost rock climbing!). Pythagoras' Theorem gives 1,700 m slope length, or a 13% error, compared to the 1,500 m horizontal measurement.

Errors due to slope effect for more common "walking" gradients are much smaller - 1% or so.