Help with Cleethorpes Find please

To begin, I will introduce my self as this is my first post

I am a newbie to Geocaching after seeing it on the Gadget Show a few weeks back and after researching the do's & don'ts decided to have a go at finding some today

I am Mark from N.E.Lincs

Now onto my request please, not to find a cache but to log one

With me being new I am not sure if I should give the location or not so I will try and describe it

I saw it on a video, it is between the cache named "Ross View" and the one called "Two Become One" along the seafront at Cleethorpes

It is very very close to one of the Cleethorpes nightclubs

It is a very very tiny cache, you need to get sand in your shoes and climb a little to find it

I found the cache OK and signed it but am unable to find it on the map to log it

Hope this is enough info without giving the exact location away

Any help to log this find gratefully accepted

Regards, at94

I found the cache OK and signed it but am unable to find it on the map to log it

Welcome!

If you can't see it on a Groundspeak map, there's two possible reasons.

1. It's been archived and no longer available -but you should still be able to log it, once you know which cache it is.

2. It's not a Groundspeak cache, and is listed elsewhere... eg Opencaching, Terracaching, Navicaching etc.

I'm sure someone more local will be along to help!

Thanks for all the replies

No I don't have a GC-code, co-ordinations, name or anything

I basically sussed it out from the video I watched because I know the area pretty well

I am guessing Bear and Ragged is probably correct that it not a Groundspeak cache

Regards

at94

I suppose it would be stupid question from me to ask how you knew that the cache was there? Where did you get the coordinates from, or did you watch a video of someone else finding it and you found it by going to the same place? If so, where did you see the video?!?

Matt

Hi there,

The only night club that I can think of where you would need to go on the sands to grab the cache would be Pier 39 opposite the Crazy Golf.

Might be worth emailing a local cacher/cache hider if you are stuck as to which cache it is?

Ooops edit, - must have logged at same time! :blink:

Glad you sorted it out!

Edited by perth pathfinders

The cache in question is GC18R20, and it was archived due to no responce from owner on maintanence.

as it is clearly there and available could it not be un-archived??

or if not maybe someone in the area could create a new loisting at the same location with the same cache??

Sorry came to this a bit late, I had it bookmarked along with 2 others I notice have been archived as well, as we are having a nostalic trip to Clee in April, btu grandparents came from there, and I really wanted to do the choc choc cache as they always took me on the train!! sadly its been archived as well

The cache in question is GC18R20, and it was archived due to no responce from owner on maintanence.

as it is clearly there and available could it not be un-archived??

No sorry it's up to the Cache Owner to Maintain their caches. Even if it's just to enable it after a kind fellow cacher has maintained for them. It's up to the CO to uplift it on it being Archived

or if not maybe someone in the area could create a new loisting at the same location with the same cache??

The cache location has been freed up for a new cache. As to the rest of the comment, that's something I can't comment on, except to say if someone did state in a cache submission. That they had reused a container from a Archived cache they did not own. They would be asked for conformation that they had the owners permission :o

I'd say we now have another addicted cacher :blink: , after tracking down and finding a Archived cache :(

Deci

Yes I can feel myself getting addicted :-)

Looking at the profile of the cache owner, I don't think they have logged a find for over a year & a half, they own 5 other archived caches & no-one appears to have been able to get in touch with them

Maybe they are no longer available for some reason

Bearing this in mind and that no-one can remove/reuse the cache without the owners permission, it seems a shame because it is a good location

If the location has been freed up does this mean I could leave the old cache where it is and place a new larger cache at the side of it to make it reusable again?

It's so tiny that no-one can really sign it without removing the old log completely, who is allowed to do this, just the owner ?

I did manage to squeeze another tiny piece of paper in the old cache but it was extremely difficult & will only allow a few more signs before it is full up again

With me being new, I didn't want to remove the old log with all those signs on it

Regards

at94

I can't see a problem with you placing a cache there.

I can't see a problem with you removing the old log from the old cache and scanning/photographing it and posting it on the old cache page, so others can read it.

As Deci says above, he will have to ask questions if anyone said on a new cache page that they had used a container that was there previously...

If you place a larger container there (ice) is it going to be safe enough?

Will muggles be able to see it, is it going to be safe from the weather and sea?

Yes I can feel myself getting addicted :-)

Looking at the profile of the cache owner, I don't think they have logged a find for over a year & a half, they own 5 other archived caches & no-one appears to have been able to get in touch with them

Maybe they are no longer available for some reason

Bearing this in mind and that no-one can remove/reuse the cache without the owners permission, it seems a shame because it is a good location

If the location has been freed up does this mean I could leave the old cache where it is and place a new larger cache at the side of it to make it reusable again?

It's so tiny that no-one can really sign it without removing the old log completely, who is allowed to do this, just the owner ?

I did manage to squeeze another tiny piece of paper in the old cache but it was extremely difficult & will only allow a few more signs before it is full up again

With me being new, I didn't want to remove the old log with all those signs on it

Regards

at94

I suppose technically there is nothing stopping you doing what you say as the cache is archived but the cache owners haven't been off-line that long (last logged in in December) so maybe you should send them another message and wait a while in case they do want to re-instate it. How long is reasonable to wait I don't know :)

Hi

I have just emailed the owner as suggested to ask if it would OK for me to remove the log & put in a new one

But going by what Deceangi said above that would not be enough to get it re-enabled, only the owner can do that

In answer to Bear & Ragged, yes pretty sure it would be safe from Muggles & Weather (maybe just get a bit of sea spray on a high tide)

The way I see it is that the cache has been archived because the CO didnt respond. And I personally would love AT94 to use those locations for a new cache as they are childhood fave places with many memories for me.

But as deci sayes the area is now freed up for a new cache, so as long as AT94 would like to place caches then he can. But no, just replacing the logs wont re activate them, only a reviewer and the co could do that now, but any cacher could place a new cache in that location using whatever containers they felt would be best.