Field note dates are wrong

quadsinthemudd

The field notes that I am logging are coming up with the wrong day if I found the cache after 1600hrs. I started using a GSAK macro to log my caches and it puts the date and time my gps tells it on the log and that is corect. I live in the pacific time zone and that is GMT -8. My profile is set correctly and I have not always had this problem. Our friends use the field notes directly from thier oregon and it is doing the same thing. Please help.

The field notes that I am logging are coming up with the wrong day if I found the cache after 1600hrs. I started using a GSAK macro to log my caches and it puts the date and time my gps tells it on the log and that is corect. I live in the pacific time zone and that is GMT -8. My profile is set correctly and I have not always had this problem. Our friends use the field notes directly from thier oregon and it is doing the same thing. Please help.

Known bug. Your display date is adjusted according to your time zone setting. Your log date is GMT date. Irritating.

The only known solution is to put the file through a pre-processor to adjust the time, and set your time zone to GMT. That way, both the display date and log date is correct. Alternatively, don't cache after 4 p.m., or move to Morroco (time zone = UTC+0 :( ) I just keep an eye on the date if I expect a problem.

After DST begins, you can cache up to 5 pm without problem - one whole hour!

Hopefully Groundspeak can fix this one in the next site update.

Edited by Chrysalides

This all worked fine (in PST) before the last site update which was supposed to fix the date issues -- just made them worse. Extremely annoying.

It is nice having the time listed on the field notes page before hand, if only it carried through to the log.

This all worked fine (in PST) before the last site update which was supposed to fix the date issues -- just made them worse. Extremely annoying

After the January update, the time got adjusted twice. What happens is that if you're in California, you're fine if you cache after 8 a.m., which is why I suspect it wasn't as obvious :(

This all worked fine (in PST) before the last site update which was supposed to fix the date issues -- just made them worse. Extremely annoying.

It is nice having the time listed on the field notes page before hand, if only it carried through to the log.

I use a GSAK macro now so I have it set up to add this at the top of all my logs

"I stopped by your cache at 13:33 on 2/27/2010 to find my 2552nd cache find! Thanks." then I add more to it so I guess it will make it a little easier for me to correct the date thing.

I use a GSAK macro now so I have it set up to add this at the top of all my logs

"I stopped by your cache at 13:33 on 2/27/2010 to find my 2552nd cache find! Thanks."

Wow, that is a really annoying thing you are doing.

Think about this: how many other people are interested in your current cache count?

It's my opinion (and only an opinion) that cache logs are not the place to store your cache count or other information that would better be stored elsewhere. They're there for you to record and share your experience finding the cache. Of course, I also object to obnoxious FTF logs, so I am probably in the minority.

On the topic: I have a little Python script that can transform your Field Note times into local times if anybody wants it.

"I stopped by your cache at 13:33 on 2/27/2010 to find my 2552nd cache find! Thanks."

Think about this: how many other people are interested in your current cache count?

It's my opinion (and only an opinion) that cache logs are not the place to store your cache count or other information that would better be stored elsewhere. They're there for you to record and share your experience finding the cache. Of course, I also object to obnoxious FTF logs, so I am probably in the minority.

On the topic: I have a little Python script that can transform your Field Note times into local times if anybody wants it.

:( I don't usually post very often on the forums for just this reason. I'm glad that geocaching is a hobby that many people enjoy even when someone makes rude comments. It's a sport enjoyed by a variety of types of people. Just because you think it's rude doesn't mean it is. I really enjoy seeing where people are in their stats and especially if one of my caches was done as a milestone. So keep the stats coming on my caches.

:blink: I don't usually post very often on the forums for just this reason. I'm glad that geocaching is a hobby that many people enjoy even when someone makes rude comments. It's a sport enjoyed by a variety of types of people. Just because you think it's rude doesn't mean it is. I really enjoy seeing where people are in their stats and especially if one of my caches was done as a milestone. So keep the stats coming on my caches.

The whole point IS to let the cache owner now were his/her cache fell on my journey. I am ok that this is annoying to you its your game just like its mine.

I also post FTF logs and go on long late night runs to get a FTF just like last night it was a three hour trip for FTF we left at 8:45pm and got home at midnight. I think that most cache owners love to hear the stories of how thier caches are found. thats just my opinion also.

Somewhat off topic (I believe there is a very long thread on logging in the geocaching forum) but, personally, I don't find that annoying or irritating. I'd be disappointed if that is all there is in the log - if it is my cache - but even that doesn't appear to be the case here.

What happens is that if you're in California, you're fine if you cache after 8 a.m., which is why I suspect it wasn't as obvious

And before 4 PM. Which makes it very obvious.

Field notes, time zone and local time set to Pacific time

Jan - Feb : Finds logged at 12 a.m. to 8 a.m. log time gets messed up (set to previous day), field notes time display OK

Feb - now : Finds logged at 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. log time gets messed up (set to next day), field notes time display OK

I'd take up your offer of the Python script, but I don't run Python on my Windows laptop. I'd also want to play with the workflow a bit so that it is more automated. I want the option to copy, convert, delete, and upload all done the moment I plug in my Oregon. I think I can do it with a combination of C code, autorun script, and Greasemonkey.

Edited by Chrysalides
I'm glad that geocaching is a hobby that many people enjoy even when someone makes rude comments. It's a sport enjoyed by a variety of types of people. Just because you think it's rude doesn't mean it is.

I'm sorry that you took my comment as rude; it was not intended that way. It was intended as honest feedback. And it was offered as an opinion.

As you state in the very next sentence: "Just because you think it is rude doesn't mean it is."

I'm glad that geocaching is a hobby that many people enjoy even when someone makes rude comments. It's a sport enjoyed by a variety of types of people. Just because you think it's rude doesn't mean it is.

I'm sorry that you took my comment as rude; it was not intended that way. It was intended as honest feedback. And it was offered as an opinion.

As you state in the very next sentence: "Just because you think it is rude doesn't mean it is."

thanks for all your off topic help on this issue that YOU have please dont post again you said your point and we have it all I want from ths thred is a fix for the web site and to get a little insight into a problem I had. So thanks but no thanks for you help? Chrysalides thanks for the info it will help me check my logs better because the proper dates matter to me. Thanks and I hope they can fix this soon or I will never pay for my membership again! Yeah right thanks GS keep up the good work!

Argh! This bad date comes through to GSAK as well! (via 'My Finds' PQ) GSAK shows the wrong date for those particular finds, even though i edited the log to change the date.

I'm gonna have to stop using the 'log' from the field notes page so the bad times don't get sent through the system.

-Ben

Edited by benh57
Argh! This bad date comes through to GSAK as well! (via 'My Finds' PQ) GSAK shows the wrong date for those particular finds, even though i edited the log to change the date.

I'm gonna have to stop using the 'log' from the field notes page so the bad times don't get sent through the system.

Can you tell me :

1) which geocache?

2) what should be the correct date?

3) what date is shown in the My Finds PQ?

4) what date is shown in GSAK?

Might help pinpoint where the problem originated.

Can you tell me :

1) which geocache?

2) what should be the correct date?

3) what date is shown in the My Finds PQ?

4) what date is shown in GSAK?

Might help pinpoint where the problem originated.

1) GCMAFF

2) I found the cache at 4:03 PM on Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 in the Pacific Time Zone. (Los Angeles)

My Oregon's geocache_finds.txt file recorded:

GCMAFF,2010-02-28T00:03Z,Found it,""

That appears to be correct, 8 hour offset from LA.

3) I logged the cache via field notes that evening, then noticed the display date on the cache page and in my find list said "Feb 28". So i manually edited the log and changed it to "Feb 27"

The next day, i requested "My Finds", which lists this as the date for my log in the xml as Groundspeak:date for log ID # 98355990

2010-02-28T20:00:00Z

4) When imported into GSAK, this cache shows "2/28/2010" as a find date.

So, the question is, why does the "My Finds" PQ have a log time which is 20 hours off the time from the field notes file?

Also interesting: If you download the GPX from GCMAFF directly, it shows the date for that log to be:

2010-02-27T20:00:00Z

So it looks like the database from which the logs in 'my finds' comes from is a different db from which the cache logs come from.

Edited by benh57
3) I logged the cache via field notes that evening, then noticed the display date on the cache page and in my find list said "Feb 28". So i manually edited the log and changed it to "Feb 27"

The next day, i requested "My Finds", which lists this as the date for my log in the xml as Groundspeak:date for log ID # 98355990

2010-02-28T20:00:00Z

4) When imported into GSAK, this cache shows "2/28/2010" as a find date.

So, the question is, why does the "My Finds" PQ have a log time which is 20 hours off the time from the field notes file?

Thanks for the detail.

I looked at the GPX of that file. I see that the time is correct:

<Groundspeak:log id="98355990">
 <Groundspeak:date>2010-02-27T20:00:00Z</Groundspeak:date>
 <Groundspeak:type>Found it</Groundspeak:type>
 <Groundspeak:finder id="158159">benh57</Groundspeak:finder>

It seems strange to me that My Finds would give a different date. Hopefully it is just a temporary glitch. If not, you can either delete and relog (remember to delete from GSAK as well), edit and lock or GSAK record, or contact Groundspeak.

I can't recall when I might have changed a date in my find, so I can't compare. This is rather disturbing. The next time you request My Finds can you post the date of that cache in it? Hopefully someone in Groundspeak is reading this.

That I can answer. The time in the log for Found and DNF (and possibly some other) is not the actual time. Time is always 20:00 if found during standard time in Pacific time zone, and 19:00 if found during daylight saving time. However, if you log a NM, it will be actual time. If you convert 20:00 or 19:00 to UTC, you'll find it is 12 noon.

Apparently, the server software takes the time field in the database, converts it to UTC, and displays it on the log page. I infer this from examining the publish log of caches in countries in time zones ahead of UTC (e.g. Japan).

Edited by Chrysalides

It seems strange to me that My Finds would give a different date. Hopefully it is just a temporary glitch. If not, you can either delete and relog (remember to delete from GSAK as well), edit and lock or GSAK record, or contact Groundspeak.

I can't recall when I might have changed a date in my find, so I can't compare. This is rather disturbing. The next time you request My Finds can you post the date of that cache in it? Hopefully someone in Groundspeak is reading this.

Yeah, just noticed that and updated my post at the same time as you were posting. I'm going to go ahead and delete and relog my last 5 finds without using the field notes, which is going to destroy the evidence. I could also just lock my GSAK record but i tend to use it on many computers, and that's a hassle.

Hopeful for a fix soon.. but will probably be til the next monthly update i figure.

So it looks like the database from which the logs in 'my finds' comes from is a different db from which the cache logs come from.

That would be cause for concern. I wonder how long it takes for edited text to show up in My Finds. Hmm, time for some experiments.

Edit to add : I rely very heavily on field notes these days, which is why I'm so interested in this.

Edited by Chrysalides

My time stamps are shooting 8 hours ahead every time I upload them from Geosphere.

I'm confused about how to do a workaround in the meantime. Do I set my GMT 8 hours behind or some other time zone to offset the difference? I'm in Eastern Standard Time now, or -5 GMT.

I'm not familiar with Geosphere, can't help there. Setting your time zone only affects the display when listing all the Field Notes, not the actual date used in the log.

Does Geosphere upload field notes from phone to the site automatically? Or do you need to go through the tedious manual process the handheld GPS owners use?

It uses a browser's interface that's built into the app. When I upload notes I can actually see I'm at the Notes page, and Geosphere then passes on the saved notes from there. How it does that though I don't know.

After logging my finds today, I noticed it jumped yet another 8 hours or so, so even though the note was created on March 6th in the afternoon, uploading it added 8 hours the the time, and then logging it added another 8 hours, so the difference between logging the find and the original field note is 16 hours or more, which confirms the behavior others here were mentioning before.

I really hope Groundspeak is not going to let the appalling time difference of almost 24 hours between the original field note and the final log slide without a fix, or I'm going to start calling people names. :anitongue:

Edited by KingOfPain
After logging my finds today, I noticed it jumped yet another 8 hours or so, so even though the note was created on March 6th in the afternoon, uploading it added 8 hours the the time, and then logging it added another 8 hours, so the difference between logging the find and the original field note is 16 hours or more, which confirms the behavior others here were mentioning before.

Check what's your time zone setting in your profile. Does Geosphere have a time zone setting as well? It could be that GeoSphere is partly the culprit.

Check what's your time zone setting in your profile. Does Geosphere have a time zone setting as well? It could be that GeoSphere is partly the culprit.

No time zone option, I think because the app is drawing from iPod's native clock settings. The time stamps are accurate, until they get uploaded and Groundspeak adds another 8 hours to it, and then when I go to post it as a log, it's now a day ahead. I have had to manually change the dates on all my logs for the past week now.

Who's coding Groundspeak's site anyway, a bunch of chimineypanzees smoking hemp? Good grief. :D

No time zone option, I think because the app is drawing from iPod's native clock settings. The time stamps are accurate, until they get uploaded and Groundspeak adds another 8 hours to it, and then when I go to post it as a log, it's now a day ahead. I have had to manually change the dates on all my logs for the past week now.

It'll be interesting to see what they upload to Groundspeak, but I can't think of an easy way of doing it. There's certainly a bug in Groundspeak's date handling, but that doesn't explain what you saw. Sounds more like a bug in the app. But hard to pinpoint because of Groundspeak's bug.

As for the second part of your post, I decline to comment :D

I was in a similar situation yesterday - failed to check the date, and they were logged as 3-8-10 instead of 3-7-10 because they were found after 4 p.m. Pacific. I fixed them, then immediately requested a "My Finds" and it arrived today (problem yesterday with the PQ generators). The dates in the My Finds PQ was correct - 3-7-10. So either it takes some time for the edit to percolate through all the DBs, or the issue is fixed.

It'll be interesting to see what they upload to Groundspeak, but I can't think of an easy way of doing it. There's certainly a bug in Groundspeak's date handling, but that doesn't explain what you saw. Sounds more like a bug in the app. But hard to pinpoint because of Groundspeak's bug.

As for the second part of your post, I decline to comment :)

LOL, actually part of it is in fact an issue with the Geosphere app which the developer is working on and will update in the next release. It's just confusing because there seems to be a myriad of bugs that's affecting the time stamp handling and I never know who's responsible for which. <_<