what is NMEA 0183 Output

The NMEA 0183 Interface Standard defines electrical signal requirements, data transmission protocol and time, and specific sentence formats for a 4800-baud serial data bus. Each bus may have only one talker but many listeners. This standard is intended to support one-way serial data transmission from a single talker to one or more listeners. This data is in printable ASCII form and may include information such as position, speed, depth, frequency allocation, etc. (link)

Normally this would only be used for realtime positioning with your GPS hooked up to a laptop using mapping software.

uhh...thanx..a little over my head..but thanx.

It's a language used to allow the GPS to communicate with other devices and software such as laptops, aircraft electronics, and some soon to be obsolete boat electronics. It's also used by some HAM operators to transmit their position via an Amateur radio frequency to post onto the internet.

uhh...thanx..a little over my head..but thanx.

It's pretty simple. It means that if you wanted to run navigation software on a laptop or netbook you could use your handheld as an external GPS receiver for the laptop or netbook by connecting it.

If you don't want to run navigation software on your laptop or netbook, it's of no interest to you.

...ken...

Thanx for the info,it might be somthing to mess with on my laptop when i learn a little more about it.sounds like you could use it to navigate if it were hooked to a laptop with some map sortware.

Yes. You would be able to use it with programs like Microsoft Streets&Trips, DeLorme Street Atlas or Topo 8, iNav iGuidance, Odyssey Navigator and a number of others on the laptop.

...ken...