Nuvi 765t Question(s)

I'm looking at getting the Nuvi 765t for my car. One of the features I want to use is the mp3 player, connected to my car stereo either through the FM transmitter (unfortunately I've heard poor reviews about that feature) or the headphone jack.

My question is, I use the mp3 player to listen to podcasts. Once I listen to a track, I want to erase it from the unit. Is it possible to delete individual audio tracks from the GPS using the controls on the GPS? I don't want to have to hook it up to a computer to erase individual tracks.

Basically what I do is load 20 or 30 podcasts all at once, and I like to erase them as I listen to them. Is this possible with the Nuvi 765t?

Jamie

I'm looking at getting the Nuvi 765t for my car. One of the features I want to use is the mp3 player, connected to my car stereo either through the FM transmitter (unfortunately I've heard poor reviews about that feature) or the headphone jack.

My question is, I use the mp3 player to listen to podcasts. Once I listen to a track, I want to erase it from the unit. Is it possible to delete individual audio tracks from the GPS using the controls on the GPS? I don't want to have to hook it up to a computer to erase individual tracks.

Basically what I do is load 20 or 30 podcasts all at once, and I like to erase them as I listen to them. Is this possible with the Nuvi 765t?

Jamie

Nope - without a computer, you won't be able to delete the podcasts. But why not just buy a really big SDHC card and then it won't be a problem? You'll have to load them somehow so it's not like you won't ever have the card/gps hooked up to a computer.

Also, I have a Nuvi 780 and the FM player plays beautifully on the radio in my older VW Golf, but not so well in the newer Golf TDI we have so I would try first before thinking it won't work well for you.

Nope - without a computer, you won't be able to delete the podcasts. But why not just buy a really big SDHC card and then it won't be a problem? You'll have to load them somehow so it's not like you won't ever have the card/gps hooked up to a computer.

That's disappointing.

It's not space I'm worried about with the podcasts, it's that many of them have similar names so I like to delete them after I listen.

It's not a dealbreaker, but I was hoping it had that functionality. Thanks for letting me know.

Jamie

Got my 765t a couple days ago...

As you advised, it's not possible to erase audio files from the GPS without using a computer... and to be honest, I'm not very impressed with the Media Player on the Nuvi. It seems overly cumbersome compared to the small handful of other mp3 players I've used.

That said... the one saving feature it has is that when I play a podcast, I can pause it and when I use the GPS again later, the audio file is still paused in the same place. That means I can more-or-less listen to my podcasts straight through (apparently only in alphabetical order) start to finish.

What I plan to do is maybe once a week or so, upload my new podcasts to the GPS. I'll listen to them on my commute and other driving from A to Z, and when I'm done, I'll hook the GPS up to the computer, erase all the existing files and upload the new ones.

I like the Nuvi... though having used several other much more feature-filled Garmin GPSs in the past, I'm rather disappointed in the market trend toward simpler, less cluttered devices. Sure, they have fewer buttons and menus to wade through, but some of my often-used functions no longer exist.

Jamie