US service person stranded in Pisa

nericksx

So this is a little off the wall.

A friend of mine who is on a tour of duty in Iraq, is up in Pisa on vacation. Before she left the military told her that there was no need for her to have a passport to travel in Europe, that her military ID would be enough. That turns out not to be the case (duh) and she doesn't have any money because no bank will let her make a transaction without a passport for ID.

I took a gamble and looked up caches in Pisa and PMed the owner of one, just on the off-chance that he might be willing to help (_nick_ is his name).

Is there anyone else who is in the area of Pisa who would be willing to assist? She's just a little freaked out and needs a local to try to help her navigate the situation.

We are also trying to contact the Italian Consulate, the US Embassy, the State Dep't and our local congressperson, so far to no avail.

I'll post this in the general section of the forums as well.

Thanks!

inquiring minds need to know

if she has no passport, how did she enter Italy?

That's a good question. She came with a group of other service people, so my assumption is that it was military-sponsored transport. That probably explains why they told her that she didn't need a passport (I also don't believe she was planning to go to any other countries other than Italy), which was true until she tried to go to a bank.

inquiring minds need to know

if she has no passport, how did she enter Italy?

That's a good question. She came with a group of other service people, so my assumption is that it was military-sponsored transport. That probably explains why they told her that she didn't need a passport (I also don't believe she was planning to go to any other countries other than Italy), which was true until she tried to go to a bank.

i truly hope someone can help her

best of luck!!!!

Thanks! I also PMed two cachers in Pisa because I figure the worst that happens is they ignore me or say no. We've also contacted our local rep to the US Senate and they gave us the number for a case worker who helps with just this kind of thing... but she's out of the office. We'll keep working on it tho!

Hi,

I live in Rome, so if your friend needs anything from the US embassy let me know.

Aww! Thanks for replying! I kinda gave up on finding any geocachers willing to lend a hand because I took so much flak in the english-speaking forum. We were able to get an assist for my friend and she ended up having a lovely R&R in Italy. Thanks again!