25 meters off - during storm

Hi all,

last WE I placed a cache while a heavy storm. My etrex displayed an accuracy of +/-4 meters.

When the cache was published the FTF team complained that the coordinates where 25 meters off in the

neverland with thorns and ticks. Coming back metering the coordinates again I found the original coordinates 30 meters off. Certainly I corrected them.

I was wondering if the storm has been the problem, or does anyone have another explanation?

Thank you for your answers and viele gruesse from Germany!

absentax

Hi all,

last WE I placed a cache while a heavy storm. My etrex displayed an accuracy of +/-4 meters.

When the cache was published the FTF team complained that the coordinates where 25 meters off in the

neverland with thorns and ticks. Coming back metering the coordinates again I found the original coordinates 30 meters off. Certainly I corrected them.

I was wondering if the storm has been the problem, or does anyone have another explanation?

Thank you for your answers and viele gruesse from Germany!

absentax

It's always wise to take multiple "samples" of location coordinates over several days just to be sure the location coordinates are accurate. What you are looking for, obviously, is someone else being able to reproduce your coordinates, with reasonable accuracy, on any given day. Everyone has found a cache or two where they literally found a cache exactly to the foot (meter?) of the coordinates provided. That's ultimately what you're looking for but I don't think it HAS to be that dead on, though it sure would be nice! Personally, I think when they are that close, it gives the cache that WOW factor when you can find it that way.

If you have a feature called "waypoint averaging" on your GPS, that's the best way of dealing with getting the best possible location "fix" of a cache. Ideally , 4-8 samples, several each day, over several days, each sample 7-10 minutes and a spacing of each sample of 90 min. apart will give you the best accuracy.

Yea, I know, sounds nuts! You can reduce that possibly, to a couple averaged samples say, twice a day (taken on good days when you're GPS is giving you the best accuracy you're accustomed to) over 2-3 days should get you reasonably good coordinates. Experiment with it a bit, even consider using a buddies GPS if that's possible, after you've placed your cache, to spot check its location on another's equipment. Remember, an inaccurate set of coordinates invariably contributes to the dreaded "Drunken Bee Dance", lol. Good luck with your efforts.

Be safe.

N

Edited by Native20559

Was the unit physically wet at the time of original readings?

Even a thin film of water across the face of unit will interfere with the signals. The falling rain isn't much of a problem - it is the rain on the unit itself.

The EPE would not necessarily show this as a problem.