Best places to buy a GPS

OK. A friend of mine from church is interested in getting a GPS for hunting and geocaching. He has seen my Out&Back and really likes it, has researched these online, and now is leaning towards the Safari because of the 3D compass and it will work with his game camera (we think).

The big question is where do you find the best deals on a GPS? I bought mine from a store but told him that if he is already convinced which one he wants, it would be better to buy online.

The forum seemed to be a great way to find the best places to buy online and still end up buying it from someplace that is reliable and will still be in business next week.

Let me know your thoughts. He is looking at doing this in the next couple of weeks when he gets his tax return back.

Prices can move around considerably even within a given outlet (e.g., REI with occasional specials) to the extent that a store you'd never consider suddenly becomes competitive for a given model for a while. Also note that the low end of shipping costs vary from between $0 to $15, and that has to be added to the price.

For the Lowrance you are looking at, Hodges Marine is a trusted dealer with consistently good prices, about $184 shipped. Just be SURE that Lowrance actually supplies the maps that they promise with the unit. There are a lot of users who aren't happy about not getting the maps they expected. Be sure that situation has changed if your friend will need them.

I bought my Dakota from Universal Mania - http://www.universalmania.com - I had good results. Shipped quickly in a new package and I registered it with Garmin with no problems. They've also got good ratings on http://www.resellerratings.com - I *always* check the ratings b/f I buy from a new place online.

REI doesn't have the lowest price (unless you catch them on sale) but they do have some of the best customer service and return policies in the business. If you're an REI member you do get 10% back on purchases in the forms of dividents, so a $350 GPS will end up costing you $315.

Edited by jopasm

I bought my Dakota from Universal Mania - http://www.universalmania.com - I had good results. Shipped quickly in a new package and I registered it with Garmin with no problems. They've also got good ratings on http://www.resellerratings.com - I *always* check the ratings b/f I buy from a new place online.

REI doesn't have the lowest price (unless you catch them on sale) but they do have some of the best customer service and return policies in the business. If you're an REI member you do get 10% back on purchases in the forms of dividents, so a $350 GPS will end up costing you $315.

In addition to getting seller ratings also look to Bizrate.com and Nextag.com for the best comparison prices. I've always used CascadeGPS.com and RocketCamera.com with great success. Amazon is always hit or miss for me. I will avoid buying from them unless it's a last resort.

The Endura base maps are very simple but the optional Accuterra maps absolutely rock! And CascadeGPS.com has some of the best prices for those products as well.

Sample current prices are Sierra $335, Safari is $252, Out and Back $175, and the regional Lowrance Accuterra "Advanced Outdoor Content" maps are $69.49 ea.

Go ahead and contact me via PM if either of you have ANY questions about the Lowrance Endura's. I have most of the comparable GPSr's on the market and would love to discuss them with you on the phone (preferable). Just leave me your phone number in your PM.

The Endura's are well worth the buck. Most of the issues which initially plagued these products, like most early release products, have pretty much evaporated. If you have doubts, do a forum search for "Endura" and I'm sure you'll agree.

Best of luck.

N

Is Ebay any good for stuff like this? I see a number of Out&Back and Safari's listed but most are "Buy It Now" at the same price as normal retail.

I did see one specific Out&Back Geocaching "kit" NIB on Ebay auction when I looked a minute ago for $159. Too bad my friend wants the Safari instead. There isn't a similar deal for the Safari.

I had never heard of CascadeGPS before so that is a GREAT lead and had forgotten to check Amazon.

Is Ebay any good for stuff like this? I see a number of Out&Back and Safari's listed but most are "Buy It Now" at the same price as normal retail.

I did see one specific Out&Back Geocaching "kit" NIB on Ebay auction when I looked a minute ago for $159. Too bad my friend wants the Safari instead. There isn't a similar deal for the Safari.

I had never heard of CascadeGPS before so that is a GREAT lead and had forgotten to check Amazon.

Don't forget to try the comparison shopping utility in Bizrate.com and Nextag.com. They will tell you what the best prices are and where you can get them as well as buyers seller ratings to evaluate risk with doing business with that seller. That's why I pretty much avoid eBay and Amazon unless it's a last resort.

I've found that CascadeGPS pretty much has the best prices around. I start with them then look for better. Usually end up finishing with them because of they're pricing and very, very low shipping costs.

Good luck.

N

I've found that CascadeGPS pretty much has the best prices around. I start with them then look for better. Usually end up finishing with them because of they're pricing and very, very low shipping costs.

Good luck.

N

Hey! Thanks for the tip.

Just checked CascadeGPS against BassPro (where I bought mine). CascadeGPS was $50 cheaper than BassPro on the Safari. That would get my friend about 70% of the way towards one of the AccuTerra cards too. CascadeGPS has the mapping cards on sale for $69.49.

From what I can tell, BassPro is similar to REI in that you go with them if you expect good customer service or return policy. I don't think REI is carrying the Endura GPS products yet but figure they will now that the products seem to be pretty solid. I don't think they carry items unless they are sure that they won't have problems with it. At least, that's their reputation.

Good luck.

N

Hey! Thanks for the tip.

Just checked CascadeGPS against BassPro (where I bought mine). CascadeGPS was $50 cheaper than BassPro on the Safari. That would get my friend about 70% of the way towards one of the AccuTerra cards too. CascadeGPS has the mapping cards on sale for $69.49.

From what I can tell, BassPro is similar to REI in that you go with them if you expect good customer service or return policy. I don't think REI is carrying the Endura GPS products yet but figure they will now that the products seem to be pretty solid. I don't think they carry items unless they are sure that they won't have problems with it. At least, that's their reputation.

Has anyone tried www.tvnav.com

Good luck.

N

Hey! Thanks for the tip.

Has anyone tried www.tvnav.com