NEW TO GEOCOINS! Speak up here!

avroair

We had won a couple of coins and I bought a couple at MWGB last July unfortunately some of them went missing. So I recently started buying a few coins just to keep and not send out (the only way my wife would let me spend money on coins again). So, Im not sure if it's considered collecting if I have no intention on releasing them.

Holy shnikies... tomorrow will make 6 months exactly since my first coin from gardengorilla. I really have enjoyed it so far. My favorite is probably my celtic tree of life. I like moving coins just as much as buying them. I'm a coin collector at heart. This really is a good way to keep up with caching during winter, though. Thanks for having me guys!

We earned our first coin as part of a local challenge on September 6th so I guess we squeak in by 4 days. Since then we've earned some more via challenges and FTF prizes, bought some, and traded a couple. I've also given a couple away as FTF prizes. We've even sent a few out into the wild. But we do have several, including our 09-09-09 coins, that we won't be sending out, so I guess I'm a geocoin collector. :-)

Edited by leitko4

Well, I was supposed to have some by now, but it didn't work out.

Last weekend was my birthday and I (thought I) had a 4 day weekend, and an airline credit, so I was going to go down to Victoria to see my daughter, and #2 on my list of things to do was go to Landsharkz. Co-worker got sick, couldn't get the time off after all, Trip postponed till another time.

I discovered Geocaching while I was in Florida for Christmas. Some women on a parenying after IVF (infertility treatments) had a thread about it. I decided to try it out with my husband and son, and we were hooked. My dad was ill and our trip home was delayed. We didn't discover our first coin until we headed home in late January. It was a beautiful Bell Witch mystery coin. I was hooked. I've since bought a few coins for my collection and I'm planning to buy a few to release when I find some I like, but not enough that I can't bear to let them travel. I wish I could afford to buy every one that speaks to me, but we live on a very limited income so I can't do that. Luckey for me I got a little money for my birthday last week so I was able to buy several that I really wanted. Just not the one I wanted most (of the ones I've seen so far) because they went for over $30 on ebay. I am so addicted that I hope someday to have my own coin made.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who got caught up by the fever.

I came into geocaching in Nov 2009 and found out about coins a few weeks later. I have 3 in my collection and my daughter got her 1st one in her collection last week. We are still learning about geocoins and I am sure we haven't even scratched the surface on seeing them all yet.

We have had to take a break from geocaching due to weather, but can't wait to start back up.

First, we wanted to have one coin, but after the coin received us, we were infected and now we collect and collect and collect.

We think, you can call us Coin addicts! :)

To keep an overview about our coins, we bought the programm " geocoins".

There we can list easily now our coins.

Oh, sorry, no time anymore, new coins arriving. :laughing:

Edited by Team Fribu70 & Schnuba77

Please allow me to introduce myself...

I've been caching for twenty months now, but it wasn't until three months

ago I got hooked into coins. I won a nice little Cacher Coin as FTS prize

and then one of Grodan's christmas coins, also as FTS prize.

Since then I've been plowing through coins, figuring out which ones to get

and gathering ideas for designing some coins myself.

Nowadays my collection is up to five coins, but it's growing slowly and steady.

I'm also fascinated by mystery coins and the mystique they bring.

My journey along the coin road has just started... let's see where it leads!

mbit, friend of Grodan

I've been caching for about 5 months now. My very first cache had a coin from Australia. I didn't take it cause I wasn't sure what to do with it. I went home and did some looking and reading. I've released one coin and have two more that will probably go out this week. I've got 2 that I bought to match the ones being sent out and I have won 2 through different cointests on the forums. I am going to be buying one to use in my own cointest soon.

Just curious if there are new coin collectors out there within the last 6 months? Speak up here, I have a coin for you. :laughing:

We are just getting started with geocaching. We found our first coin, wow. Our family will be collecting coins in the future as the budget allows.

We have a travel bug to put out soon.

The coin we found was not activated :) can it be? How can I get an activation code? It's an AR state parks coin, with a tractable number.

Thanks, pscwmoms

Just curious if there are new coin collectors out there within the last 6 months? Speak up here, I have a coin for you. :laughing:

We are just getting started with geocaching. We found our first coin, wow. Our family will be collecting coins in the future as the budget allows.

We have a travel bug to put out soon.

The coin we found was not activated :) can it be? How can I get an activation code? It's an AR state parks coin, with a tractable number.

Thanks, pscwmoms

If you found a trackable coin that has not yet been activated, Congrats - it was left in the cache as swag! It's yours to keep, however should you find unactivated coins in caches, you should trade for them with swag of equal or higher value (the paradox here is 'How do you know its unactivated until you get home?'). The motto for coiners (most of them) is "Trade even or trade up". Again, Congrats on the find!

~J

Just curious if there are new coin collectors out there within the last 6 months? Speak up here, I have a coin for you. :)

Yes! I bought my two sons their first geocoins for Christmas, and it sparked their interest in geocoins.

Since then, we've picked up another coin through a barter (an elaborately designed cache container for a coin), and won a coin through a local cache club challenge (who could find the hardest cache in the coldest temperature).

We just got into geocaching last September, and didn't feel comfortable moving travellers at first. But now the boys are choosing caches based on which ones have coins to move!

yes i started collecting coins because tennessee jed gave me one on the forums and that was all it took.

ive been collecting for about 3 months now. i now have about 150 of them some of them im still going thru.

ive only been geocaching since july so im still learning all of it but i do like the coins

thanks

Last September I started collecting pathtags - geocoins were so out of reach being so expensive. Then a few weeks ago I discovered fuzziebear3's milestone mission here in the forums and I got my first geocoin. And I was hooked! I love pathtags (I just submitted my 4th design) but coins are so gorgeous so I will try to get one now and then, when I can afford it.

I traded a few pathtags to get a geocoin to send to next participant in the milestone mission and then fuzziebear3 was very nice to trade me another coin for a few pathtags. So now I am up to 3 coins in my collection and I love them. ebay is too expensive so my plan now is to get some online, from coin makers that I found out about in the pinned threads in this forum.

Got my first geocoin at a meet and eat late last Oct. I seem to have zero'd in a couple of diferent coins and intend to try and get the whole set. 999' - Yemon Yime - GCF 2009 Sample coins

I do have other coins but am trying to put boundries on what I want to collect, there are so many great geocoins...... We have dealt a few times on that auction site. I'm learning to trade vs bid.

Cache on, phish_bonz

although a member of GC for almost a year (14/04/2009) i have only recently become a fan/collector of coins.

My first coin was a green Pure. Color that was given to me by Methospedia as a starter for my collection, and now have 6 coins for my personal collection (3 of them active and travelling to reach me)

The i found the Pay it forward thread, and have 5 traveling under my ownership.

I have recently won an (unactivated) lil dreamer coin in the dream cointest, also i have an (unactivated) Labrador wildman gold coin, that was given to me for christmas by LWM for sending some of his coins out thru europe.

my interest has grow more and more, and i have recently supplyed artwork to a mint to have my first coin produced (Jungle Grins)

I am that hooked that i have started the M.I.A Prodject to try and revive the lost coins and bring them back to life and into circulation agian.

I have recently bought a coin album (holds 200 coins) and plan that by the end of the year to be thinking of ordering a second.

Edited by daveindeal

OK I bought a few coins. Should I get the activation codes for them now? Can you get it and Not activate the coin? I don't plan on activating them. The ones I sell, should They too have the code or be treated the same as rest of my colection? Most all of my coins are new, trackable & unactivated. I've haven't done this before with the coins. I have logged and moved TB's. Cache Happy, phish_bonz :(

I'm almost embarrassed to respond. My son got me started into geocaching just this past Sept, shortly after he went to work for Groundspeak. I found a couple of coins in some caches and got hooked, big time!

I've purchased way too many coins over the past 6 months -- some from Avroair who started this topic. I had the pleasure of meeting Avroair, not too long ago (as I'm sure some of the others on this thread have). He's designed some amazing coins.

The variety, creativeness and beauty of geocoins makes collecting them quite addictive!

I recently started collecting them by buying them thru presales on this forum. I am up to 8 total now. Got started by winning one at an event. I just cant bear to let them out of my sight and send them out. Keeping them and looking at them is good enough for me, I dont even activate them. Occasionally I have ordered an extra one or two and gifted it to friends and relatives. Just ordered an extra one to donate to an event in April. Not sure why they fascinate me, the artwork is just so appealing and the weight of the coin. My caching relatives think I am nuts but I got one for Christmas as well as a notebook to start putting them in from my cachersister. Pretty sure that makes me a closet collector!

I guess it's safe to say I'm both new and addicted to collecting them. I started caching last fall, and I purchased my first geocoin on February 15th. I dove in head first, and now have 32 coins in my collection, with more on the way.

I started geocaching last year and I love both caching and geocoin collecting equally. There are a lot of very cool coins out there. I am not sure what coins are most sought after I just buy ones that I think are interesting. I have my own little things, like collecting Maine coins. I am finding out there is a lot more to these coins too, like the missions and cointests. Very cool stuff, I will be watching this forum more frequently now.

I think I am getting to be a collector as well. I won't be able to buy too often but I will. After I failed bidding on one coin at the auction site, I decided to purchase it (along with another one) directly from the manufacturer: geocoinstore; they are April Showers and May Flowers. Now I am so anxious to see them in my hands.

Well i just started with my own coin with a nice coin page.Then i was picking up coins and moving them but not much info on the coin said love to have one like this and i couls make a coin page about the coin and the set's you can get and who made them and so on.

I activated all the coins i get and try and get info, permission and has much info about how many and little history

129 so far and growing in 5 mouths

So yes i am hook

i never new just how many coins there are out there

Just love it

Thanks

Labrador Wild Man

I started caching on 20th July last year and I'm desperately trying to remember exactly which was my first geocoin.........It would have been about 6 months ago I bought it and I have fallen hook line and sinker. I dread to think how many I have now <_< Just can't resist them!

This has got me thinking - I'm going to try and work out which one it was!!!

I'm a total newbie to cacheing and geocoins. I bought my GPS unit about a month ago mainly because my friends and I love to go backpacking. Upon reading about geocaching I decided that it would be great to test out my GPS. I was hooked after my first cache. I don't have any coins yet, but I am looking to get into them.

Wife and I started caching last month... we're hooked. It's a great family activity! While out on a hike w/ my 5y/o we found our first geocoin. It was so cool! I'd love to collect coins, but who has the money? hehe. I hope to do some coins in the future. We'll see. One expensive hobby at a time.

My son is a Boy Scout so his Council created a coin. We bought one to set loose and one to keep. The Council to the south also made a coin that was cool so we bought that one too. These are our first coins that we kept.

We have passed other peoples between caches and have just the one of our own in the field.

Just curious if there are new coin collectors out there within the last 6 months? Speak up here, I have a coin for you. ;)

I started collecting sometime last year and am addicted as well. I really want to get Mickey Diver, Mystical Greenman and Project Fred 325 Face. But for the first two I hear you have to get from a mystery coin giver. So I guess I'll never see them except in pictures. I am not that special. I had a birthday on 3/3 does that count? Oh well can't help but try. These coins are really addicting though. I think I have about 50 or so. I seem to have a taste for the extremely hard to find though. And if I go looking on Ebay, I am there for hours. Good luck to the rest of you newbees on your quests. :rolleyes: