makeing the hardest

Followers 2

i want to make the hardest one there is one that whould just be for ppl that want it hard i need some ideas ???????????? what whould u want to see???

It's easy to make a cache hard to find (or solve if it's a puzzle). The trick is in making the find/puzzle fun while being difficult. I'd recommend getting some experience doing hard finds or puzzles before trying to make a really hard one yourself.

The problem is that it is really easy to make a needle-in-a-haystack hide or what we call a "moon logic" puzzle and then think that because your hide is difficult it is a "good" one.

i want to make the hardest one there is one that whould just be for ppl that want it hard i need some ideas ???????????? what whould u want to see???

If you want to be the only finder then go for it. Most people think of this as a fun game though. Your idea does not strike me as being fun. Just my response. YMMV.

Sorry if we seem to be picking on you, "Barry Adams", or whoever you really are. What do you mean by "the hardest"? A puzzle cache? A tough hike? Rock climbing? A teensy nano in a rock pile? You need to be more specific.

Being less suspicious than knowschad and willing to forgive spelling mistakes or overlook find totals, I can give you lots of ideas.

Develop two puzzles that require knowledge of something truly obscure -- computer programming, higher math, or twisted leaps of logic always seem to be popular. Take a couple of very small containers. Leave one 50 feet in a tree after walking two thirds of the way up one side of a mountain. Put one of your puzzles in there. Then hike 5 miles up the other side of the mountain (one way), bushwhack to some overhanging rocks, scramble up to the top by following a deer trail (if you can find it) but be sure to add some decent rock climbing. Leave the other container there. Make sure that neither container can be seen. If you find yourself face to face with a rattlesnake it will add even more mystique. Publish it as a multistage mystery cache, using one of your puzzles to get you to the first stage, requiring the finder to solve the second to get to the final. If you do it right, you will develop a loyal following.

Or you can spend a year developing a perfectly designed camo for a cache no one can find. It might get deleted by the powers that be. If so, be sure to destroy all traces of it. People might or might not believe that you ever had a cache in place. But if you do it right you might become legendary (or infamous) in at least some circles.

Or you can take a small bison tube wrapped in camo, toss it in a random bit of ivy or juniper. Give coordinates that are at least 60 feet off. If you find a spot with lots of trash and noncachers around, it works even better. If you do it right, everybody will put any cache you place on their ignore list.

Other than that, what fizzymagic said.

Edited by Erickson

You're already half way there. Just jumble some more nonsense words into the description and guesstimate the coordinates. :)

I want to make it hard and that might not be fun it would be to just see if u got what it takes tofind it thinking about working in where u won't use a gps to find it use a compas and pace count make it dangerous not for kids at all and if a kid finds it ill buy him a beer I realy don't like the puzzle part maybe a lil but I want to make an adventure and on the way see some great things I was in the army and when u find one point all u will get will be walk 900m on an azmisth of 153° then the next stage u might get to use ur gps might have to swimm across a lake or something and there is a cash I have waded to make its just go in the woods find a pipe line and follw it and where it comes to a t go north and at the next t go that way and so on but it goes under ground sometimes to it would be hard to do might ned a metal detector im jut loking for what u want to see something tha might not be fun but just to see if u can do it and that's the fun part

I want to make it hard and that might not be fun it would be to just see if u got what it takes tofind it thinking about working in where u won't use a gps to find it use a compas and pace count make it dangerous not for kids at all and if a kid finds it ill buy him a beer I realy don't like the puzzle part maybe a lil but I want to make an adventure and on the way see some great things I was in the army and when u find one point all u will get will be walk 900m on an azmisth of 153° then the next stage u might get to use ur gps might have to swimm across a lake or something and there is a cash I have waded to make its just go in the woods find a pipe line and follw it and where it comes to a t go north and at the next t go that way and so on but it goes under ground sometimes to it would be hard to do might ned a metal detector im jut loking for what u want to see something tha might not be fun but just to see if u can do it and that's the fun part

:) Psst...periods and basic punctuation are free on this forum... :laughing:

Sort of a hard to read post...

Before you get too involved in something enventually...you may want to consider running your idea past your local reviewer...may have some concerns/insights about the cache...

All though I understand the above is just listing of ideas...the guidelines have the following statement in them that may/may not run against some of your ideas above...your local reviewer would be best able to clear that up for you...

GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

I want to make it hard, and that might not be fun. It would be to just see if you have got what it takes to find it.

Thinking about working in where you won't use a gps to find it, just use a compass, and count paces. Make it dangerous; not for kids at all, and if a kid finds it i'll buy him a beer.

I really don't like the puzzle part. Well, maybe a little, but I want to make an adventure, and on the way see some great things.

I was in the army, and when you find one point, all you will get will be, "walk 900 meters on an azmisth of 153°", then the next stage you might get to use your GPS. You might have to swim across a lake or something, and there is a cache I have wanted to make. It's just: "go in the woods, find a pipeline, and follow it, and where it comes to a tee, go north and at the next tee, go that way", and so on... but it goes underground sometimes, too. It would be hard to do. You might need a metal detector, too. I'm just looking for what you want to see... something that might not be fun, but just to see if you can do it, and that's the fun part!

I hope you don't mind my editing of your post, but I think you will get a much better response if people can actually read and understand what you are asking.

The guidelines state that the use of a GPS is neccessary for hiding a cache. It is not required for finding one, however. What you are referring to in your description is what is known as an "offset" or "projection".

You will probably find very few that would actually attempt your cache, but those that do would probably love it.

I'm not so sure about buying a beer for a kid that manages your cache, though :) .

Argh.

well I did type on my phone I typed all my post on my phone lol

Yeah, using capitalization, punctuation and spacing on a phone is tough. Just like the cache that you say you want to put out. If you're going to insist on posting with your phone, then it might be time to start doing some punctuation pushups and spacing situps, if you know what I mean.

I think it should go without saying that you should find at least one cache before you hide one. :)

Yeah I think there should be a guideline somewhere about that. Personally I decided to find several of each type of cache before hiding one. That will give me an idea of how it should be, and shouldn't be, done.

I definitely like your spirit on hiding a cache, I just think you need a little bit better understanding of the game before you place your cache. My advice to you is to do a PQ that results in higher difficulty caches, start at like 3/3 and work your way up. Go out and find those caches and see what you like and dont like, and then start to develop your cache based on that.

Personally I love more difficult caches, especially ones that involve more than just following your GPS to ground zero. The problem with those caches are they also require a ton more planning to implement and get right. Hook up with some local cachers and have them suggest some difficult caches as well, or have them tell you which ones didn't work and go get all of them. Experience finding is the key to making a great hide.

i dont no if youll succeed in makeing the hardest cache or not but i do no that youve probably made the most difficult post to read ever your complete lack of punctuation and capitalization is more than i could take i decided to give you an example to read and see if you realize what youd done also not only did u neglect punctuation you also mispelled alot of words and abbreviated some simple ones i understand your typing on your phone but in my opinion thats no excuse so congratulations on your new status owner of the most difficult post in these forums good job lol

(Whew, that was hard. It's not easy to intentionally not use the caps key, not use punctuation, and misspell that many words. I also had to end the post with "lol" so that the younger crowd would accept it. I didn't actually laugh at my own post.)

well I read that just fine I no I should work on that.

and I have the hardest one around. and I have found like 30 just haven't loged them. I want hard ones that take hrs to find or days something that u have to work hard at I want to know what things I can take for outher cashs and just make it hard realy I want someone else to make hard ones so I

i dont no if youll succeed in makeing the hardest cache or not but i do no that youve probably made the most difficult post to read ever your complete lack of punctuation and capitalization is more than i could take i decided to give you an example to read and see if you realize what youd done also not only did u neglect punctuation you also mispelled alot of words and abbreviated some simple ones i understand your typing on your phone but in my opinion thats no excuse so congratulations on your new status owner of the most difficult post in these forums good job lol

(Whew, that was hard. It's not easy to intentionally not use the caps key, not use punctuation, and misspell that many words. I also had to end the post with "lol" so that the younger crowd would accept it. I didn't actually laugh at my own post.)

I guess you didn't see my translation ?

well I read that just fine I no I should work on that.

and I have the hardest one around. and I have found like 30 just haven't loged them. I want hard ones that take hrs to find or days something that u have to work hard at I want to know what things I can take for outher cashs and just make it hard realy I want someone else to make hard ones so I

Once again, please work hard on your typing first. I translated one post of your, I'm not going to do another. :)

Are you trying for the record of longest time for an FTF? I think the cache on the ISS would be found before someone would even look at this one.

Why does everyone assume that some random person already on the ISS won't log a find? People seem to think that the only way that will be found will be by a special trip. I don't think it will be that long.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Are you trying for the record of longest time for an FTF? I think the cache on the ISS would be found before someone would even look at this one.

Why does everyone assume that some random person already on the ISS won't log a find? People seem to think that the only way that will be found will be by a special trip. I don't think it will be that long.

There is an article about an astronaut that lives not too far me that is going to be spending 6 months on the ISS. I wonder if I could get in touch with him and ask him to sign my name in the log.

There is an article about an astronaut that lives not too far me that is going to be spending 6 months on the ISS. I wonder if I could get in touch with him and ask him to sign my name in the log.

You'll wait in the car, huh? :)

I think I willput the last stage under water that should make it hard! But that would be hard to place too. one will be up in a tree. one in a cave one on the side of a cliff and part of it will be a night cash

I don't know where else I could put it ? I will just tell u to follow a stream un till u get to this point and say look on the right side of the bank.

this will be an adventure. you will go places not meny ppl have been.

gps are for finding ur way way off the beaton path and I plan to take u way off that path!!!!!!

Maybe keep it more above board, and ask them to take a TB up there for you.

I think it should go without saying that you should find at least one cache before you hide one. :(

Yeah I think there should be a guideline somewhere about that. Personally I decided to find several of each type of cache before hiding one. That will give me an idea of how it should be, and shouldn't be, done.

I totally don't agree. I'm pretty new to geocaching and have yet to log a single find (going out this weekend though and expect to log a few) and yet I've already hidden my first cache. While I like both solving and creating puzzles, I accept that there are some people who don't like the hunt but enjoy creating pieces of the game. And while I understand the logic that 'experience hunting gives a better understanding of hiding', I think one can understand the 'rules' of a good hide by simply reading the site and reading about other hides. Sure, it's not as much fun by any means and robs the hider or the fun of the hunt, but for those who just aren't interested in hunting, it's a good way to participate.

Just my $0.02. I'm new so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Anthony

Edited by CajunTechie

I totally don't agree. I'm pretty new to geocaching and have yet to log a single find (going out this weekend though and expect to log a few) and yet I've already hidden my first cache. While I like both solving and creating puzzles, I accept that there are some people who don't like the hunt but enjoy creating pieces of the game. And while I understand the logic that 'experience hunting gives a better understanding of hiding', I think one can understand the 'rules' of a good hide by simply reading the site and reading about other hides. Sure, it's not as much fun by any means and robs the hider or the fun of the hunt, but for those who just aren't interested in hunting, it's a good way to participate.

Just my $0.02. I'm new so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Anthony

I can get on board with that in some cases. If you read the OP(here), you might reconsider whether that person has a grasp on it though. There certainly are SOME people who will be able to hide a great Cache with no finding experience, but for the average and below crowd, there might be a benefit to learning some things first. I didn't hide one until I had nearly 100 finds, and I think I did a better job than I would have without that experience.

I think it should go without saying that you should find at least one cache before you hide one. :(

I totally don't agree. I'm pretty new to geocaching and have yet to log a single find (going out this weekend though and expect to log a few) and yet I've already hidden my first cache.

Is it a micro in front of someone's house?

As far as I can tell from what you have written, it sounds like you are talking about a multi or a puzzle. If that's the case, then just write the cache description the same way you've written your posts here. The final could be under a lamp post skirt in a WalMart parking lot, and it will be impossible to find.

I don't know where else I could put it ?

That's where a little more experience finding some really difficult caches might help. (And if you spell it "cash" one more time, I'm never reading anything else you post!)

I think I willput the last stage under water that should make it hard! But that would be hard to place too. one will be up in a tree. one in a cave one on the side of a cliff and part of it will be a night cash

I don't know where else I could put it ? I will just tell u to follow a stream un till u get to this point and say look on the right side of the bank.

this will be an adventure. you will go places not meny ppl have been.

gps are for finding ur way way off the beaton path and I plan to take u way off that path!!!!!!

I see that you already have one pretty tough multi in play (GC1KKAZ An Epic Adventure) with some very positive log comments.

Keep in mind that you will be responsible for maintenance on all stages.