Requesting a Geocache

ipodguy

I live in New Jersey, but I own some remote property in Oklahoma. It's a secluded and beautiful place near a lake and there are few geocaches around that area, and I wanted to offer my property for geocachers to use. It is impossible for me to maintain a cache that far away, but I'd like to see a cache placed there.

Would it be bad etiquette to ask on the forums for a geocacher to place one on my property? I would offer to mail them a cache container, log books, swag - everything they needed.

Is this in bad taste and should I not do it?

Edited by ipodguy
I think it's a great idea. Find a respected local and have at it!

Darn! I was going to ask him what part of Oklahoma till I saw Riff say "respected"! :laughing:

It's in Red Oak off Cravens Road, Latimer County

Edited by ipodguy

Well that leaves me out. :laughing: I am on the other side of the state. I envy you though, that side of the state is a beautiful area!!!

I think its a great idea though!!!

edit to add- Someone from the Tulsa Area Geocachers club might be over that way. I agree with the suggestion above, go to the area forums. click on Oklahoma, and then the TAG. You should be able to pm them!! Good luck!!

Edited by NeecesandNephews

I disagree, its a bad idea altogether. You need to sell your property immediately, find a piece of land in Australia, buy it, open a pub on it, and have an Aussie place your cache on a bar stool for ya.

At the same time I will move back to my home in Sonoma County California and plan to visit that pub the next time I am there to visit and be the FTF as those pub crawling aussies would never see the cache if it bit them in the A**.

Another possiblity would be to place the cache yourself, but then adopt it out to a local cacher after he/she finds it. You would probably want to have the specific cacher in mind BEFORE attempting this. Nothing in the guidelines prohibit this. In this case you may also wish to place the cache on your watch list, just to keep tabs on it as well.

Another possiblity would be to place the cache yourself, but then adopt it out to a local cacher after he/she finds it. You would probably want to have the specific cacher in mind BEFORE attempting this. Nothing in the guidelines prohibit this. In this case you may also wish to place the cache on your watch list, just to keep tabs on it as well.

Only problem with that is getting the local Reviewer to publish it.

Only problem is I've owned the land for seven years and never went there. I've only seen photographs and satellite images. Looks like a jungle.

Edited by ipodguy

Only problem is I've owned the land for seven years and never went there. I've only seen photographs and satellite images. Looks like a jungle.

Time for a visit, don't you think? Who knows what the locals have been doing on your land for the last 7 years. Did you actually visit it before buying or buy it sight unseen? maybe it's not really there? :) Oh, and I've got some nice property here in Virginia I will sell you for a song just as long as you never visit it either. Want me to send some pics? <_<

Edited by KJcachers

Do a PQ in the area. Start reading the logs and checking profiles and look for someone who has a bunch of hides. Query him/her directly. Ask them to put out a cache that says in the text that you want to open up the property to cachers. It will be loaded with caches every 528 feet very quickly.

Time for a visit, don't you think? Who knows what the locals have been doing on your land for the last 7 years. Did you actually visit it before buying or buy it sight unseen? maybe it's not really there? :lol: Oh, and I've got some nice property here in Virginia I will sell you for a song just as long as you never visit it either. Want me to send some pics? :)

Sounds like I bought the Brooklyn Bridge, doesn't it? The couple who owned it before me were getting a divorce, decided to liquidate their stuff and I picked it up. It's really there. :huh: Price was right and I figured I'd just sit on it.