muggles?

transamforever

i am a little confused on the muggles situation. so first i didn't know what a muggle was, i think i got that figured out. (its other people that are not involved in geocaching. right?) but i see people writing too many muggles. so are we not supposed to let people know what we are doing? is the goal to find it without being seen? or are we just trying to protect the cache?

thanks

transamforever

i had gotten a cach's a few days ag0 and someone park across the street from where i was @ i simlpe took the cach with me i didnt try to hind it back --i drove around the block a few times and than they left and then i repace the cach;s sometimes i guess you have to do that??

i am a little confused on the muggles situation. so first i didn't know what a muggle was, i think i got that figured out. (its other people that are not involved in geocaching. right?) but i see people writing too many muggles. so are we not supposed to let people know what we are doing? is the goal to find it without being seen? or are we just trying to protect the cache?

thanks

transamforever

We are just trying to protect the Cache from theft and other demise.

Its good to try to protect the cache, but sometimes there is only so much that can be done. A cache placed in a lamp post in the middle of a garden surrounded by benches where people sit from morning to night is going to have only so many options.

People have different theories as to how to go about such searches. Generally, I believe that if you act too stealthy, you may only end up attracting attention to yourself. I go with the assumption that the cache placer had "adequate permission" to leave the cache in that particular spot; if people want to know what I am doing I will explain the game to them; I will not try to draw attention to myself but I will act like I belong there.

If the area is busy, I read the description and the hints very carefully and try to narrow the search area as best I can. But its situational. There have been times when we have had eight people all over a bus stop in a busy urban area. And other times when I am in a neighborhood, on a median strip surrounded by houses, and my daughter starts to cringe with embarrassment when someone stops to look at us - it may be better to try for the cache at a later time.

It is sometimes surprising to me how little people pay attention to what I am doing. But I always recall what one person said to me after I pulled the cache from lamp post described above, "People look strange when you don't know what they are doing."

Edited by Erickson

is the goal to find it without being seen? or are we just trying to protect the cache?

Both. We're protecting the cache by not letting others see us retrieve or replace it.

That's one way to protect the cache. Another way might be to walk right up to someone near the cache and tell them exactly what you're doing. Sometimes the best way to protect the cache may be to walk away and come back to search for it on another day. Each situation may be different so you have to judge what approach makes the most sense.

If youn stick your GPS to your ear and start talking about something you can get away with practically any random behavior.

i've done this, and lol the other day i was at cache the other day and it was next to a electric meter. i had several muggles pull up at once to do business at the ajoining building. so i started just pressing buttons on the ol' GPSr like i was reading the meter, it seemed to work. :):(

If youn stick your GPS to your ear and start talking about something you can get away with practically any random behavior.

i've done this, and lol the other day i was at cache the other day and it was next to a electric meter. i had several muggles pull up at once to do business at the ajoining building. so i started just pressing buttons on the ol' GPSr like i was reading the meter, it seemed to work. :):(

Its good to try to protect the cache, but sometimes there is only so much that can be done. A cache placed in a lamp post in the middle of a garden surrounded by benches where people sit from morning to night is going to have only so many options.

People have different theories as to how to go about such searches. Generally, I believe that if you act too stealthy, you may only end up attracting attention to yourself. I go with the assumption that the cache placer had "adequate permission" to leave the cache in that particular spot; if people want to know what I am doing I will explain the game to them; I will not try to draw attention to myself but I will act like I belong there.

You can get away with almost anything, if you carry a clipboard with you. A hardhat or reflective vest can help, too. Just walk right up to the LP, act like you're looking up something on the clipboard, maybe flip through a few pages. Grab the cache as you appear to be looking for a serial number under the skirt, and scribble down something on the clipboard (at this point, no one is paying any attention to you). Sign cache, replace an leave.

If you drive a truck or SUV, you can totally sell it by illegally parking, putting your flashers on, and setting out a traffic cone or two.

I once had to explain in detail to two police officers after we saw them remove the cache at a nearby railroad station (not a dangerous cache or potentially viewed as dangerous).

One of them seemed kind of intrigued and asked a lot of questions about the web site!

:D

I don't worry about muggles unless I get a particularly bad vibe from someone. I rarely get approached by them while looking for a hide; I think caching with a child helps -- people are used to little ones being curious about *everything* for no apparent reason. When I am approached, I have a few geocaching mini-brochures on hand to give out as I talk about the game.

You can get away with almost anything, if you carry a clipboard with you. A hardhat or reflective vest can help, too. Just walk right up to the LP, act like you're looking up something on the clipboard, maybe flip through a few pages. Grab the cache as you appear to be looking for a serial number under the skirt, and scribble down something on the clipboard (at this point, no one is paying any attention to you). Sign cache, replace an leave.

If you drive a truck or SUV, you can totally sell it by illegally parking, putting your flashers on, and setting out a traffic cone or two.

great idea!

Have just tried out the Hi-vis vest and clipboard "camouflage" today, and it worked fantastically :)

Although I like to approach staff if there are any onsite, and explain what I'm doing, it's not always that easy (especially when out in the countryside). So having a few "props" does make you look a little less suspicious, and as people say, it's always a good idea to have a few "Geocache Brochures" with you in case anyone does ask what you're doing <_<

I bought a reflective vest and clipboard for some urban caches. I found one on a series of electrical panels with meters from the local power company. I had a city cop roll up and wave at me as he continued on his way. Just a moment later, a rep from the local power company in one of the company trucks drove by and waved at me, too. My truck parked right there is not even the same color as what their meter readers use. I now call the orange vest and clipboard my "cloak of invisibility".