DeLorme Data Cables

In the past, I have read several posts about the DeLorme data cables having a problem or being defective, I myself am having on again off again dependability with my cord. Is this as common as it reads here? Has DeLorme admitted any kind of defect (with the cord) other than replacing the cable?

Thanks

Yes, your cord is probably going bad. That is one of the signs.

The problem is that the cord has very thin wires, and the wrap around the ferrite bead strains the wires and they break there (I cut open my bad cord and found this.) It is poorly designed. The cable should have a thicker outer cover, with a bead molded in. When I got my new cord delivered to me, I unwrapped the cable from the bead and just ran it straight through. It should last longer than the first one.

I just got a replacement cable last week and it does appear to be the same design. As suggested here and elsewhere, I've popped the ferrite bead off and ran the cable through it w/o looping it.

Something else occured to me that I haven't seen mentioned. When connecting or disconnecting it to the GPS, you should probably avoid twisting, tugging, or even touching the cable itself. Just push on the hard plastic part to slide it on or off.

I just got a replacement cable last week and it does appear to be the same design. As suggested here and elsewhere, I've popped the ferrite bead off and ran the cable through it w/o looping it.

Something else occured to me that I haven't seen mentioned. When connecting or disconnecting it to the GPS, you should probably avoid twisting, tugging, or even touching the cable itself. Just push on the hard plastic part to slide it on or off.

Where did you get your replacement cable?

No changes have been made to the cord?

So when you get your replacement cord, the same thing can happen again?

What is the purpose of the ferrite?

Thanks

1.No changes. The replacement cord I got was the same as the original.

2. It can happen again, but removing the turn around the ferrite bead, and pushing/pulling only the connector and not the cord will make it last longer.

3. The ferrite is a radio frequency choke. It suppresses currents that can travel on the wires and interfere with the electronic functioning of the GPSr. It is probably most useful when attached to a car power supply. Wrapping an extra turn can increase its effectiveness at certain frequencies.

Not a problem Lemonhead. I hope my comment wasn't taken in a negative way. My thinking is that the more customers that bring up cable problems on the Delorme forums, the more likely it is that the issue will be addressed. Even the biggest Delorme fans acknowledge the USB cable has been a weak spot. I have directed a number of people, both on these forums and the Delorme forums to call support and ask for a new cable when their problems have pointed in that direction. The first cable I received worked intermittantly as well. As for the concern about bias, be aware that many of the folks that offer help and support here for those with Delorme related questions are the same folks offering help over there, including myself.