New idea to prevent lame caches

bittsen

In case anyone missed the connection:

b9c76234-f804-4a70-8a81-cb488e815032.jpg

Coins are accepted as well as paper or plastic.

You know...as soon as you add the right paypal address to that jug, we'll be getting somewhere(or the thread will get closed)

Incidentally... that is a real container and a real sign. I have it set up in my cubicle at work in case anyone cares to drop by and donate.

If you are serious, count me in for $20... but only if he agrees to walk across (as I did).

I think that is a fine requirement. I will match your $20!

I think it's an AWESOME idea! I just wish I had thought of it..

However, it may interfere with "Jeremy's Promise", which was to keep all of the site functions free, with only "P2P" being an option. I think only SBell111 and Briansnat may remember the promise and perhaps a few others, but perhaps we could try to get them to be silent about it by using threats, intimidation, bribery, hypnosis, psychokinetic nocturnal thought transmission, discreetly introducing lysergic acid diethylamide to the main water supply, or just plain reasoning, but it may not work..

Wait a second here. Why am I paying for pocket queries then?

:)

Easy...you made the choice to become a paying member...the free option is still there...your idea takes the free option out of the picture...

Do I think some of my caches are worth a buck...yes...

Do I think the idea is worth a buck...no...

Edited by ArcherDragoon

OK, we have all seen the threads about lame micros, Walmart Parking Lot caches, power trails, etc.

Well here at the bittsen think tank, we have come up with the new and improved concept of "Pay to Play".

Under the GCP2Pͭͫ program, cachers would pay each time they place a cache. Each cache placement would cost one US dollar with 100% of the proceeds from cache placement to be donates to a charity of worthwhile cause. Perhaps the "Send Bittsen to dangerous caches" fund or something similar.

It would almost guarantee much less lame caches because who wants to spend a buck placing a film can next to a mile marker when they won't even spend a quarter on a cache container?

I think this is a fine idea. Add the $1 to the rest of the investment I see in some of the not-so-enjoyable caches I've been to, and the total investment would be nearly a dollar.

Puzzle caches, by their very nature, are already valuable, so no fee would be needed for them.

Puzzle caches, by their very nature, are already valuable, so no fee would be needed for them.

I'm sure Bittsen would probably disagree. I'm surprised he hasn't already suggested a $5 surcharge on all puzzles.

Waived, of course, if you can easily obtain the coordinates without solving the puzzle.
I (and most cachers I know) go to a cache then do the Find Nearest thing on our GPS or PDA and just wander from cache to cache...

Wow! If we did that around here I could be driving miles and miles between hunts, and never knowing whether we would be hiking for a couple of miles or just parking and grabbing! We plan our day around a cache itinerary so we know what to wear and what to bring.

Very interesting insight. Thanks!

R

However, it may interfere with "Jeremy's Promise", which was to keep all of the site functions free, with only "P2P" being an option.

Why is it I have to pay to see some caches (premium only) in my area then? :anitongue:

Are those caches just considered optional? Would that still apply if they were the only caches in say a 50 mile radius of my house? Just curious.

However, it may interfere with "Jeremy's Promise", which was to keep all of the site functions free, with only "P2P" being an option.

Why is it I have to pay to see some caches (premium only) in my area then? :anitongue:

Are those caches just considered optional? Would that still apply if they were the only caches in say a 50 mile radius of my house? Just curious.

There are a lot of basic members that find and log premium caches, its all in knowing how :laughing:

Yes, they are optional. You could make a case if you lived in an area where there were only PMO caches available. I imagine that it would be extremely rare and only possible in foreign countries, but neverless, there still would be plenty of regular caches available somewhere. PMO caches make up a very small percentage of actual hides.

Yes, they are optional. You could make a case if you lived in an area where there were only PMO caches available. I imagine that it would be extremely rare and only possible in foreign countries, but neverless, there still would be plenty of regular caches available somewhere. PMO caches make up a very small percentage of actual hides.

Oh ok, that does make sense. :laughing: Might I ask why one might choose to make a cache premium members only?

Are those caches just considered optional? . . .

Yes, they are optional. . .
I would add that all caches are optional. :laughing:
Might I ask why one might choose to make a cache premium members only?

I had one cache which, at one time, was a premium member only cache. Because of how it was setup, it was a maintenance nightmare, so I wanted to reduce the overall amount of traffic to that cache. Eventually, I got wiser and changed what made it such a PITA, and switched it back to a regular cache. The PMO feature seemed to have the desired effect, as it gets more finds per year now, than it did as a PMO.

Another reason some folks will make their hides PMOs is to ward off cache maggots.

With the possible exception of the infamous Mr Repack, folks who are heck bent on cache thievery are usually unwilling to pay $30 a year for the privilege of stealing hide-a-keys. If you start seeing an increase in PMO caches in your area, it may be an indication that there's a maggot afoot.

I would add that all caches are optional. :anitongue:

LOL That's certainly true but in that line of reasoning they could just make the website pay only, and people have the "option" of paying to use it if they want the "option" of finding caches listed there, IMHO.

At any rate, I was more debating the fact of whether being able to find any listed cache was in line with keeping "all of the site basic essential functions free". However I now realize that since the option of making a cache PMO is a user decision, Groundspeak can't really be faulted, even if they were the ones to implement the feature. Heck I'm a newb; for all I know they did so at the request of those who came before I ever picked up a GPSr and made this sport possible :laughing:

Edited by euicho

Me and my son went on our first hunt today, I have to say I'm thankful for the lame caches. We did 5 of the park and grabs, it was good for getting him hooked on GeoCaching. Having said that, I'm now ready to get out in the woods and work for one! LOL

I deal with lame caches by not visiting them. If more folks played this way there would be less lame caches.

How so? Wouldn't the caches still exist or are you implying that if the cache never gets visited it would disappear miraculously?

Because they would never win the coveted annual Signal Award, of course.

I deal with lame caches by not visiting them. If more folks played this way there would be less lame caches.

I'm trying to do my part. I don't hunt micros (unless I read that there's something special/unique/crafty about one of them). If I'm on a trail, I'll pass right by one and only look for the larger size caches in that area. I feel, that by finding and logging them, I would be contributing and encouraging the profileration of "just-for-the-numbers" micro caches.

I'm not in it for the smilies. If I could I wouldn't even display my find count -- I think the find count inadvertently promotes lame "just-for-the-numbers" hides.

How so? Wouldn't the caches still exist or are you implying that if the cache never gets visited it would disappear miraculously?

I believe he would be implying that if enough people ignore all the lame hides, lame cache hiders would see that their caches receive lower traffic, and not hide any more. But of course the opposite is true, and the turds receive many more visits than the classic old school type caches.

For $5 a month you can email me all the complaints you want. First month is on me. Send your complaints to complain2gof@gmail.com
Complain sent.

Now, how do we unsubscribe before the next month's billing cycle?

Are there benefits to this service, such as free whining?

Edit: Holy carp! I got a response already!

from GOF <complain2gof@gmail.com>

to Too Tall John <me@gmail.com>

date Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 1:41 PM

subject Re: Complaint

Your complaint has been received and will be given due consideration.

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Too Tall John <me@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't think you should offer the first month free. It's too enabling.

>Stop enabling me.

>Whaaaaa!!!!

>Too Tall John

Edited by Too Tall John
For $5 a month you can email me all the complaints you want. First month is on me. Send your complaints to complain2gof@gmail.com
Complain sent.

>Stop enabling me.

>Whaaaaa!!!!

>Too Tall John

Thank you for your interest in complain2gof. You will please note that at no point did we at complain2gof ever promise to provide any service past the acceptance of your email. If you feel that you no longer wish to use our complain2gof service all you need to do is stop sending emails. This is due in part to our great customer service but mostly a result of us being too lazy to set up a billing department to begin with.

From all of us at complain2gof please, have a nice day.

Sincerely

GOF

Chief cook and bottle washer.

complain2gof@gmail.com

Complain sent.

>Stop enabling me.

>Whaaaaa!!!!

>Too Tall John

Thank you for your interest in complain2gof. You will please note that at no point did we at complain2gof ever promise to provide any service past the acceptance of your email. If you feel that you no longer wish to use our complain2gof service all you need to do is stop sending emails. This is due in part to our great customer service but mostly a result of us being too lazy to set up a billing department to begin with.

Sincerely

GOF

complain2gof@gmail.com

How about charging a $20 early terminations fee? LOL

Complain sent.

>Stop enabling me.

>Whaaaaa!!!!

>Too Tall John

Sincerely

GOF

complain2gof@gmail.com

How about charging a $20 early terminations fee? LOL

I can assure you that if you choose to pay a $20 early termination fee we will be happy to let you.

Complain sent.

>Stop enabling me.

>Whaaaaa!!!!

>Too Tall John

Sincerely

GOF

complain2gof@gmail.com