March 2010 Photo Competition

Thanks to Happy Humphrey I'm judging this time, so please get your photos posted on this thread before the 1st of April.

A reminder of the rules (the latest version from the original January 2010 thread);

1) The only hard and fast rule is that the photo must be cache related and to do with a specific cache, caching series or caching trip. There should be a hyperlink(s) to the cache(s) in the post. The cache(s) must be from the UK or Ireland.

2) Two photos per cacher per month (give or take).

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

5) Photos should be recent if possible. (No debates as to what recent means! This rule is flexible.)

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. This should give sufficient time for the winner (or other person if necessary) to start the new thread.

As this is 'just for fun', I'm not going to be strict about rules 2 or 5, although rule 1 will have to be adhered to. However, if there are several good photos to choose between, I might be tempted to pick one that was actually taken in March 2010 and even more tempted if it's associated with your own caching log! And is the photo is REALLY old, it might only get recognition for Historical Interest.

Obviously, this is going to be highly subjective, so don't get disheartened if you thought your photo was better than the eventual winner. Please keep on trying - especially as the judge will change monthly.

If you haven't already uploaded a photo, a good tip might be to upload to one of your log entries (it can just be 'post a note'). Then, display the photo and copy the URL to provide a link to the post. If it's not actually relevant to the cache you've used, delete the note and the photo - the URL will still work.

GC10G1M - Chapel In The Ferns

Here is my Found it Log:

After a the third set of root canal was unsucessful, back in folkstone at the dentist's.

I Arrived in the lane and got funny looks from the two builders in the graveyard as i sat in the car coughing blood and holding a muslin gause where my tooth use to be!!

after a short wait they left and so onward to GZ.

thinking of seeping sap i went straight for the tree, then when it wasnt there a look around and the only other place it could have been the cache was in hand.

in the log i said that i left a coin, but being a little light headed and not able to feel half my face i still had it in my pocket when i got home.

Uploading a picture of the church taken on my blackberry and also a image to show you what tooth i had pulled to make my great smile greater

and my two images listed with the cache:

The church from GZ taken on my blackberry

03018feb-7ef6-4a3e-8b77-0fe1b762ab39.jpg

My great smile made Greater

aac47606-4b20-41dd-8987-b1b08464c413.jpg

I quite enjoy following this topic, but the previous months are already becoming a little difficult to find. I wonder if a link to a list of rounds would not be in order. Here are the first few.

201001Start http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...239694&st=0

201002 http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4211067

201003 http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4244333

Anyone else having trouble uploading photos to the gc.com site?

I keep getting the message;

Server error

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Yes, I've just got the same when trying to add some pics to cache logs.

MrsB

From a failed attempt at GC1J1H4.

63d0498c-7ac5-40ba-8098-159e6184f281.jpg

Not really up to the standards of other pictures on here, or my usual standard. It was quiet beautifully lit really, but the phone camera wasn't really up to catching it. Upping the levels has got the details, but at the expense of a very strong yellow cast. It won't win, but it just shows that there are some nice places round Warrington. ;)

Got the following pictures of frogs (or maybe they're toads I dunno) whilst walking to the Unseen Heroes cache.

3b6f52d3-1cbe-4ff7-a6ed-fd2f15878fd1.jpg

Are you sure you weren't at Fratton Park?!! :unsure:

avram-grant1.jpg

Nice pics btw.

My favourite so far is the first one - I'm fascinated by the Severn Bore!

Hope to add some of my own soon - when I get the hang of all this!

Edited by Je5ter

1) The only hard and fast rule is that the photo must be cache related and to do with a specific cache, caching series or caching trip. There should be a hyperlink(s) to the cache(s) in the post. The cache(s) must be from the UK or Ireland.

2) Two photos per cacher per month (give or take).

OK so I'm going to fail to win due to the first rule. And I've chosen two photos for two caches, well you did say give and take.

Mount Sinai (Earthcache)

Sunrise

5c4a7f31-6d65-45f5-a6e0-6fab8251776a.jpg

Camera capturing sunrise (no, not the photo above)

dd65080b-95c5-4fe8-b352-5e418a51cc80.jpg

Sharm El Sheikh Naama Bay - 2 (Traditional Cache)

Underwater – MP’s peanut captured this, I’m uploading more as I think it’s wonderful.

3a727f25-7a31-4439-8014-adf943b092ea.jpg

bird bath – suppose fresh water is limited so I don’t blame this LBJ (little brown job)

a578ef0f-b13b-4b4a-aef1-344c3d2fff51.jpg

• keehotee's swans are lovely, with great contrast given it's a shot into the sun.
  • The_Street_Searchers got a good snap with their iPhone, especially as it was dusk; you need a steady hand for that.
  • I really like Jenny&James's icy tree; it says 'Winter', loud and clear!
  • Alibags's take on the same theme is quite a 'sweet' shot. Add a man with a horse and cart and it'd be perfect.
  • daveindeal shows of his teeth with his grinning church; a decent shot for a Blackberry.
  • markandlynn's wind-swept tree shows the power of cropping a picture 'just right' - it adds a lot of interest to the shot.
  • Combining the two topics -trees and swans- Lydford Locators' photo is striking.
  • Cmc401's waterscapes are all about the reflected sunlight on the sea; very nice.
  • You have to chuckle at Smithbats's lambs, all rowed up. A charming photo.
  • camjocotem's swamped trees is amazing; almost tropical. You can hear the frogs calling to each other...
  • Haggis Hunter's toads have something of the 50's B-movie sci-fi about them... or a rather different sort of film all together!
  • The eerie yellow light on Guanajuato's picture of a church also has something of the other-worldly-ness about it.
  • hobgoblinkiteflier posted two great, sharp pictures; both with a little white shed... and trees. Only one ticks the waterfowl box though... :) The second shot is particularly evocative I think.
  • Treating us to a Welsh sunset, Ian1959's picture really is beautiful. I bet it wasn't as warm as the colours make it look though!
  • ivanidea's dramatic chopper photos freeze the action of a close fly-by very nicely. Clearly something fascinating to watch.
  • keehotee's second shot, of the weathered cross obeys the Rule of Thirds, and that sky is very cinematic.
  • veedub-girl delivers another stunning sunset, with the rays really making the view 'pop'. A little fishing boat paint-shopped in would have sealed it!
  • Alibags' take on keehotee's new theme lacks some of its textured feel, but has a lot of depth with that heavy sky and the road running off into the distance.
  • Cool photos from metal-bijou, but as he notes, they're only here to be enjoyed, not reviewed B)
  • Giving us a cat deep in thought and woodland close-up showing great depth of field, Siplumb's shots show
  • wonderful composition.
  • fuzzybears go sepia for a really dynamic shot of the tree in a building. Makes you realise just how old those walls are...
  • currykev finishes the March collection off with a nicely framed (and posed? :D) study.

But there can only be one winner, and this month it is...

...Hard to pick. Thank you to everyone who took the time to post a shot or two. I love Siplumb's cat; you can almost feel the fur, and the expression has that special cat quality; detached yet cute. However, I also like the Victorian-feel of fuzzybears' ruins over-run by nature. A very effective use of a digital colour edit. But the stand-out shot for me, the one which makes me wish I could step into the picture and explore is...

...hobgoblinkiteflier's second shot, the one with the hills mirroring the V of foliage in the foreground, with the enticing white building giving a distant point of interest and focal point. The colours really work to give the whole shot a warm tonal balance, there's a framing-effect on the left from bushes to balance the house/barn 'looking' into the shot from the right and there is interesting textures, lines and shapes in the fore, mid and background. The scene has a real 'lure' so that gets my vote this month - well done! Over to you to set up the April thread!