Extreme Canadian Caches

GeoTrailGuy

A post in another section of the forums got me wondering where the extreme cache series (or single caches) are in Canada.

I'm fairly new to caching and seeing some of the Psycho Urban Caches (Maryland I think) really caught my eye. I don't know that I'm interested in exploring an old nuclear research facility for a smiley but am certainly interested in some challenges when I don't have the kids (2 & 4 years old) with me and large containers with tradeable items are the goal.

Are there equivalent series or single caches that stand out in Ontario or elsewhere in Canada?

Thanks

hmmm i think your best chance to find them is to run a PQ for terrain 5 rating

Yeah, I thought of that but didn't want to turn up the caches placed on an island in the middle of a river. The cool part of the Psycho series is that they're challenging as well as unusual.

I'll still give the PQ a shot but wondered if anyone knew of a series of list that was equivalent.

hmmm i think your best chance to find them is to run a PQ for terrain 5 rating

Yeah, I thought of that but didn't want to turn up the caches placed on an island in the middle of a river. The cool part of the Psycho series is that they're challenging as well as unusual.

I'll still give the PQ a shot but wondered if anyone knew of a series of list that was equivalent.

you can always filter out some based on their attributes, in your case the wading, boat, swimming etc...

its not guaranteed full proof but should certainly shorten the list a bit

Here is some that I think would be extreme:

Have to climb very high into the trees and fallen tree trunk hangs over electrical wires:

GC21MQB

Have to go deep into a cave\crevice

GC1RJM9

Event on top of a remote mountain. Difficult to get to but the rewards are great and a once in a lifetime experience.

GCZMHM

Thanks for the input. I've started a small bookmark list.

Thanks for reminding me of the Kelso one. I had seen it before and am going to try for it soon since it's right in my backyard.

The tree cache looks interesting.

I love the event idea. Do you anticipate being to the top and back within the day from the cabin you're staying at?

Yes for my event we plan on doing the trip from the cabin to the top and back down to the cabin all in one day and spending several hours on top. Instead of ATVing and Canoeing we decided yesterday that a better option would be to ATV and then hike the rest. The hike part will be completely unknown for us or anyone so that will be an adventure in itself.

A post in another section of the forums got me wondering where the extreme cache series (or single caches) are in Canada.

I'm fairly new to caching and seeing some of the Psycho Urban Caches (Maryland I think) really caught my eye. I don't know that I'm interested in exploring an old nuclear research facility for a smiley but am certainly interested in some challenges when I don't have the kids (2 & 4 years old) with me and large containers with tradeable items are the goal.

Are there equivalent series or single caches that stand out in Ontario or elsewhere in Canada?

Thanks

Lots of caches around BC fall into some sort of extreme category, mostly for being remote or HIGH.

I guess the big question is what constitutes extreme for you... each person has their own opinion of that.

Things that I find second nature, can be very intimidating for someone else lacking the training or equipment. Weather / climatic conditions can effect the situation too... a simple cache can be extremely dangerous if you only hunt during violent electrical storms... or a bit of ice can turn a T2 into a survival exercise trying to keep your footing.

I'd consider a caching trip to Ontario to be a major expedition... from BC, even by car... would that count.

I do a search for local caches here... lots are within 20 kilometres of here... only a handful can be reached without changing valleys, trespassing through private areas, walking a whole lot over the mountains etc.

None of which are easy from HERE... but the caches are mostly regular, traditionals once there.

Good luck and if you find any hiding around here, come and I'll go along... maybe...

Doug

Here is some that I think would be extreme:

Have to go deep into a cave\crevice

GC1RJM9

I know those caves though I never knew there was a chache down there. I know what I am doing this weekend. Its a bit tight if you are closterphobic but other than that its great fun.

Ok, it isn't a mountain peak but looks like one of the more 'extreme' or unique caches I've stumbled upon so far in southern Ontario (noting my relatively few finds so far):

GC12TA8

Looking at the logs, it appears a lot of the local cachers on this forum have already made the find. I'm going to give it a shot next week while hiking the beginning portion of the Bruce Trail.