Cache Containers

I have a personal dislike for fake outlet caches (any cache that has to do with an electrical appliance, really) and other things that should not be tampered with, like sprinklers. Although the hides are good, I am sure there is more than a few geocachers who have almost destroyed a real sprinkler head or even got hurt fiddling with an electrical appliance trying to find a cache. Are there ways to know if a cache is a disguised electric thing or sprinkler, etc. w/o dismantling it???

If you can't tell if it's fake, and you can't find the cache anywhere else, DNF that cache.

Sometimes the geocaching logo is on the cache, or some other giveaway such as the gc number or something like that.

People that open real electrical boxes, outlets, etc. because they saw a fake one once, are just not that smart.

I have a personal dislike for fake outlet caches (any cache that has to do with an electrical appliance, really) and other things that should not be tampered with, like sprinklers. Although the hides are good, I am sure there is more than a few geocachers who have almost destroyed a real sprinkler head or even got hurt fiddling with an electrical appliance trying to find a cache. Are there ways to know if a cache is a disguised electric thing or sprinkler, etc. w/o dismantling it???

- If there are no other sprinklers around.

- If it is a different brand/style than the others.

- If the others are 8 feet apart and this 4 feet from the ones on each end.

- If it is sticking out the top of an ammo can.

I have seen many sprinkler heads damaged at GZ of caches. No, i can't prove geocachers are responsible.

I have seen many electrical boxes "tampered" with at GZ. No, I can't prove it was geocachers.

In some ways I agree with you but remember, geocaching.com is just a listing service. They can't stop anyone from making fake sprinkler caches. Really, all they could do is have a policy to not list caches if they are fake sprinkler heads or electrical boxes. It's up to the cache owner to use good judgment.

If you can't tell if it's fake, and you can't find the cache anywhere else, DNF that cache.

Sometimes the geocaching logo is on the cache, or some other giveaway such as the gc number or something like that.

People that open real electrical boxes, outlets, etc. because they saw a fake one once, are just not that smart.

I've seen a couple threads here where someone has sair their cache requires a screwdriver to open the fake electrical box. I find that as being that fine line that's crossed. If you need to open one with a screwdriver, then a screwdriver will be used on real boxes.

I have a fake electrical box out there. It's magnetic so if you touch it, you know its the cache container. Plus, I added wingnuts instead of regular screws to make sure it doesn't seem to be a real electrical box.

I have one (1) sprinklerhead cache.

It's in a bush and the top simply lifts off, no unscrewing.

I don't think fake sprinklerheads or fake electrical are the problem, but how they are implemented.

If it comes apart at a touch: good

If it requires unscrewing: bad

If it requires tools: very bad

If it is the kinds of thing where the cacher could be seriously injured or killed if they were to open the wrong thing: worst.

I found such an "electrical" cache myself. The very first day of caching my wife and I went to look for a cache hidden at the University where she works. We DNF'd it.

I (making my living as an electrician) looked right at the fake outlet, and thought to myself "who puts an outlet on the side of an electrical transformer"! I never imagined it was actually the cache. It was tucked well out of normal view!

The CO stated in the description he would give a hint if asked. I sent him an email. His response was " look at the transformer, what doesn't quite belong there?" I responded immediately to his email, saying I knew right where it was!! I explained my vocation/ thoughts to him. We got a good laugh out of it!

When we went back the next day to sign the log, I noticed an outlet on the side of the brick building had its cover removed and left lying on the grass. I speculate another cacher, after receiving the hint, removed the cover!!! This was a live circuit! Had to go to my truck to find a screw for the cover as the previous one had been lost in the grass, and replace it. As I was doing so, another cacher walked up and said "dont put that back on yet!" Still not sure this was a good location/container for this hide!!

The "real" cache was a weatherproof "bell box" with an outlet and cover installed, and the side cut out with a circle of rare earth magnets glued around the opening holding it on.

I found such an "electrical" cache myself. The very first day of caching my wife and I went to look for a cache hidden at the University where she works. We DNF'd it.

I (making my living as an electrician) looked right at the fake outlet, and thought to myself "who puts an outlet on the side of an electrical transformer"! I never imagined it was actually the cache. It was tucked well out of normal view!

The CO stated in the description he would give a hint if asked. I sent him an email. His response was " look at the transformer, what doesn't quite belong there?" I responded immediately to his email, saying I knew right where it was!! I explained my vocation/ thoughts to him. We got a good laugh out of it!

When we went back the next day to sign the log, I noticed an outlet on the side of the brick building had its cover removed and left lying on the grass. I speculate another cacher, after receiving the hint, removed the cover!!! This was a live circuit! Had to go to my truck to find a screw for the cover as the previous one had been lost in the grass, and replace it. As I was doing so, another cacher walked up and said "dont put that back on yet!" Still not sure this was a good location/container for this hide!!

The "real" cache was a weatherproof "bell box" with an outlet and cover installed, and the side cut out with a circle of rare earth magnets glued around the opening holding it on.

Yup, speculation only....but most very likely.

I've found the same thing but the cache wasn't even near an electrical cover.

I can only speculate.

I have a fake electrical box out there. It's magnetic so if you touch it, you know its the cache container. Plus, I added wingnuts instead of regular screws to make sure it doesn't seem to be a real electrical box.

You disappointed me. I was sure you were going to say that you had it equipped with a charged capacitor. Not a bad idea, though, huh? :laughing:

(for those that don't know anything about high voltage and heart failure... I'm only kidding!! Do not do it, even if you can.)

Edited by knowschad

You disappointed me. I was sure you were going to say that you had it equipped with a charged capacitor. Not a bad idea, though, huh? :laughing:

(for those that don't know anything about high voltage and heart failure... I'm only kidding!! Do not do it, even if you can.)

HAHA! Mr Michealacus didn't think so when I took his auto shop class in high school. :laughing:

Ok... as someone mentioned earlier Maybe I need a pill. I could have sworn I replied to this thread earlier today. Turns out I did!! Its further down the page!!! I was freaking out there for a minute.
Sorry, but you are already at the bottom of the page. At this time, there is nothing further down except for what I'm about to post. I'd go for that pill, if I were you. :laughing:
Ok... as someone mentioned earlier Maybe I need a pill. I could have sworn I replied to this thread earlier today. Turns out I did!! Its further down the page!!! I was freaking out there for a minute.
Sorry, but you are already at the bottom of the page. At this time, there is nothing further down except for what I'm about to post. I'd go for that pill, if I were you. :laughing:

I would respond "not this page, the topic page" but I'm ignoring you.

My biggest preference when it comes to container selection is waterproofing, not disguisability. I'll likely never own a sprinkler head cache, as the concept just seems a bit lame to me, but an electrical outlet/box cache is a fun find. I've managed to find several of both types, without wreaking mayhem upon my surroundings or electrocuting myself, so I know it can be done. Blaming the owners of such hides for damage to other sprinklers or injuries based on idiotic assumptions seems like a sad attempt to shift responsibility.

You should avoid old food containers, even if thoroughly cleaned. No matter how hard you try there will be some animal who still smells the potato salad or peanut butter. I had two of my caches eaten by some large rodent that must live in the huge bush I hid my cache in!

that happened to me with a plastic kool-aid container. it was boiled but the lizards could still smell it.

You should avoid old food containers, even if thoroughly cleaned. No matter how hard you try there will be some animal who still smells the potato salad or peanut butter. I had two of my caches eaten by some large rodent that must live in the huge bush I hid my cache in!

What you need is one of these:

main_DW1265.jpg

and one of these:

1246810077-49366_full.jpg

main_DW1265.jpg

and one of these:

Yup!

I suspect that I have found far more peanut butter/mayo jar caches than I have found ammobox caches, and I can only think of one that was chewed up. I've seen a couple that had some little "test" tooth marks in the lid, but apparently they either didn't like the taste, else gave up on that tough plastic. The old wisdom of "don't use 'em" no longer flies with me.

main_DW1265.jpg

and one of these:

I tried this the other day. It didn't work so well for me.

So I emptied the dishwasher then put all the dishes in the clothes washer, shut the lid and placed the bottle of bleach on top. I left the dishes running in the clothes washer all night. Eventually the bleach fell off the spasmodically wobbling washer and my peanut butter jar still smells like peanut butter. And mold.

Your plans never work. :)

main_DW1265.jpg

and one of these:

So I emptied the dishwasher then put all the dishes in the clothes washer, shut the lid and placed the bottle of bleach on top. I left the dishes running in the clothes washer all night. Eventually the bleach fell off the spasmodically wobbling washer and my peanut butter jar still smells like peanut butter. And mold.

Your plans never work. :)

You misunderstood!!! The first pic is of the cache container itself!! The second is the recommended swag!! Please try to trade equally or up in value!! A teaspoon for a gravy ladle would not be a fair trade!! And the Cache container needs better camo and a Geocaching sticker!!! :(

Edited by NeecesandNephews

:lol::D

main_DW1265.jpg

and one of these:

Your plans never work. :lol:

You misunderstood!!! The first pic is of the cache container itself!! The second is the recommended swag!! Please try to trade equally or up in value!! A teaspoon for a gravy ladle would not be a fair trade!! And the Cache container needs better camo and a Geocaching sticker!!! :D

;) Still laughing like crazy over that one! :D Ur a nut. Everyone knows you have to use some kind of fabric softner in the water. :lol:

You misunderstood!!! The first pic is of the cache container itself!! The second is the recommended swag!! Please try to trade equally or up in value!! A teaspoon for a gravy ladle would not be a fair trade!! And the Cache container needs better camo and a Geocaching sticker!!! <_<

I have found such a container! It's also one of my favorite finds.

Never saw that the odor of the former food product caused problems with bugs or critters with people who use old Altoid's tins for their cache containers... then again the bugs and critters probably couldn't get the crusty, corroded, rusted to crap lids off to find out the former log sheet now glob of slimy mush wasn't worth eating... <_<

Never saw that the odor of the former food product caused problems with bugs or critters with people who use old Altoid's tins for their cache containers... then again the bugs and critters probably couldn't get the crusty, corroded, rusted to crap lids off to find out the former log sheet now glob of slimy mush wasn't worth eating... <_<