Another unlisted benchmark.

Couch_Potato

While hunting for a triangulation station this weekend a local pointed out another benchmark in the area. It was not one of the ones on my list from geocaching.com so I was intrigued. I checked it out, took pics, got the coordinates, but couldn't read the station name. Checking here doesn't return any mark at the location, nor does the NGS database. That's not really odd, many survey marks aren't in the NGS database. The strange part is that this mystery mark is stamped as a USGS benchmark, not a local surveyor or private organization. I would've thought that all the USGS benchmarks would be in the NGS database. ( Didn't NGS used to be USGS? )

unknown_mark-2.jpg

unknown_mark-3.jpg

unknown_mark-4.jpg

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

quote:
Originally posted by Couch_Potato:

( Didn't NGS used to be USGS? )

No. The USGS is the United States Geological Survey and is part of the Dept of the Interior. They are the ones who make the topographic maps and maintain the geographic names database which can be searched from here. The NGS is the National Geodetic Survey, formally the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey and is part of the NOAA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which is part of the Dept of Commerce. The NGS database of benchmarks can be searched from here.