Poor college kid needs a GPS

DannyCaffeine

So I want something reliable and fairly cheap. What do you reccomend.

Also is there a place that rents GPS?

I recommend a Garmin eTrex Venture HC. Reliable, can display maps, high sensitivity, connects to computer through USB. Look for a second hand unit in the GPS Garage Sale forum.

The eTrex H is even cheaper, but connects through serial port.

You only need to connect to the computer is you're uploading waypoints (instead of entering by hand) or transferring maps to unit, or tracklogs from unit.

I recommend a Garmin eTrex Venture HC. Reliable, can display maps, high sensitivity, connects to computer through USB. Look for a second hand unit in the GPS Garage Sale forum.

This is what I use and got it because it was the cheapest upgrade from the lame-o Magellan Explorist 100 that I was using. I've used it for 2 and a half years and it works just fine even though I admitedly don't take very good care of it and let get pretty beat up.

This is what I use and got it because it was the cheapest upgrade from the lame-o Magellan Explorist 100 that I was using. I've used it for 2 and a half years and it works just fine even though I admitedly don't take very good care of it and let get pretty beat up.

A little too late for you, but maybe it can help DannyCaffeine - I got the Garmin pouch for it, and it did a great job of protecting the finish on my Venture HC. The disadvantage is that it makes the screen a little harder to read.

You only need to connect to the computer is you're uploading waypoints (instead of entering by hand) or transferring maps to unit, or tracklogs from unit.

I would get what he said I would get what i got and dont do like i did i bought a cheap one just thought i can get by with it///NO way i could not do anything with iti tryed to work it intill i was blue in the face it was good for a paper wieght thats all ,i to0k it back and got Garmin just as he said and i am telling you its all that you need it is a little bit m0re money but you will be happy †

Actually yes the Etrex H will work OK for Geocaching, if you're on a super tight budget. As long as there is an "H" in the etrex description that means it should have a decent sensitive receiver. Beware of older models like the original translucent blue "etrex Legend" that thing was great when it was new but nowdays it is horribly slow and not good at holding a signal lock in challenging terrain

Thanks!

The library in which I work (at Cornell University) has three GPS units available for checkout. If I recall, they may be checked out for up to 4 days. I believe our outdoor education department at the university also has GPS units for rent.

You might check to see if your college library or PE department offers a similar service.

I saw a garmin etrex H for pretty cheap. Would that one be any good? I don't know what serial port is. (I think its those funny prongs on the back with the 2 nuts)

I'm sure I can figure it out by hand (I am good with computers and gadgets)

eTrex H is black and white only (not a big deal), cannot display map (might be important to some) and connects to the computer through a serial (a.k.a. COM, RS-232) port. If you have a laptop bought in the last 5 years, or a desktop in the last 3, it does not have a serial port. This is what it looks like on the computer:

DB-9.jpg

If you see 3 rows of pins instead of 2, recessed instead of protruding, that's your VGA port.

You can get a USB to serial converter and Garmin's cable (expensive!). Some 3rd party makes a combination converter / cable as one unit. Garmin does not guarantee that their latest software will work with serial units.

Now that may not be a big deal to you. I like connecting the GPSr to the computer, and transferring waypoints that way. It is (way, way) faster, and I don't make silly mistakes. If you don't mind keying in coordinates by hand, however, then ignore the limitation.

I saw a garmin etrex H for pretty cheap. Would that one be any good? I don't know what serial port is. (I think its those funny prongs on the back with the 2 nuts)

I'm sure I can figure it out by hand (I am good with computers and gadgets)

The eTrex H does not come with a data cable. That is an additional $30 from Garmin. And if your PC doesn't have a serial port it will cost you another $30 or so for a serial to USB converter. Factor in those costs and the eTrex H isn't so cheap.

The Garmin Venture HC is a good, inexpensive choice, or if you can find it, the DeLorme PN20.

Another option for quite a bit cheaper is the super basic Bushnell 200CR available from Radio Shack for $50.

Bushnell Onix 200CR Refurbished unit - Radio Shack $46.99 plus free site-to-store shipping

I got this one and although it has a steep learning curve, I found that it keeps very good satellite signals even in thicker trees/clouds and is very accurate. Mine also included the USB cable to load the maps, updates and so on.

Edited by screwballl

Another option for quite a bit cheaper is the super basic Bushnell 200CR available from Radio Shack for $50.

Bushnell Onix 200CR Refurbished unit - Radio Shack $46.99 plus free site-to-store shipping

I got this one and although it has a steep learning curve, I found that it keeps very good satellite signals even in thicker trees/clouds and is very accurate. Mine also included the USB cable to load the maps, updates and so on.

I would not get the Bushnell you can not do anything with it i had 0ne before i got the one thta i have now

I would not get the Bushnell you can not do anything with it i had 0ne before i got the one thta i have now

except for the learning curve, it works as well as any other GPS unit I have had, and for half the price of the others, is a good starting point. The major downside is the lack of maps or having to pay on a per map basis for small poor resolution shots on their website. I am still looking for a way to hack that process since these units are discontinued.

Does the eTrex Venture HC do paperless? I'm guessing not. I have the app on my iPhone, so I'm thinking I don't really need paperless anyways, I can take screen shots of descriptions and such just in case I don't have a signal. I plan on going on my first hunt this weekend after I pick up my son, just a couple simple ones I can do on my iPhone. I want to get a hand held unit for more involved hunts cause battery life on an iPhone sucks if you use the GPS for very long. I have to lie to my friends if I buy a Garmin, I been bashing their car units for years. LOL. I love my Magellan for the car. Garmin seems to be the leader in hand held though. I'm really looking forward to getting involved!

Does the eTrex Venture HC do paperless? I'm guessing not.

You're right, none of the Garmin eTrex or GPSMap series does paperless.

You can load the info into custom points of interest but I find it extremely unwieldy. One cache is stored in many waypoints because each one only store a few words.

I'm not familiar with the other paperless units, but for Garmin, the cheapest would be a Nuvi with custom POI generated using PilotSnipe's GSAK macro. Or a used Oregon 200.

A Megellan Triton 400 supposedly does paperless, has free maps available, the ability to create/display imagery, expandable memory, and USB interface, high sensitivity, waas enabled antenna and is available for $100 on Ebay, NIB. A lot of people don't like Magellan's customer service, but if price is your #1 issue, and you want paperless, it supposedly does it. (Never played with one, so I can't confirm.) The DeLorme PN-20 has solid paperless features, but doesn't have the high sensitivity antenna, and draws a bit slow, from what I've read. DeLorme's customer service is outstanding, however. I personally have a PN-30 that I got on Ebay for $150, shipping included, and it's led us to our first 106 finds pretty reliably.

Just do your homework, and make an educated decision.

Later!

Quick note about serial ports. As mentioned up-thread, not many newer computers have them. However, you can buy a USB-RS232 serial port adapter for a few buck from eBay. Unfortunately, most of these are CH341 devices and the supplied drivers don't work with Windows Vista (unless someone knows otherwise, in which case a link to the Vista driver would help) and I'm unsure whether they work with Windows 7. CH341 devices are supported out of the box (as ttyUSBx) with some newer Linux distributions (e.g. Ubuntu 9.10) - but I suspect you'd then need to persuade the manufacturer's (Garmin etc.) software to work under WINE (has anyone done this?)

Now there are other USB-RS232 adapaters that have Vista drivers, but if you need to use it with Windows Vista you have to be very careful that you're getting one of those and not the more common CH341.

Bottom line is that it's probably worth staying clear of any GPSr that needs an RS232 serial port if you need to hook it up to your computer unless your computer runs Windows XP (or perhaps earlier) and you know that it will outlive the GPSr!

HTH,

Geoff

Check out the Lowrance Endura Out&Back.Paperless,touchscreen,Second to none onboard Geocache features,color screen,usb.micro sd mem slot,plenty of onboard memory,all for $200 new.You only need a data cable,which is the same one that most MP3 players use.I baught one a Big Lots for 3 bucks.Excellent customer support too.