What's in your geocaching backpack?

Boxergurl

I'm a newbie! I became very interested in geocaching a few years ago, but never invested in the GPS to actually start. Well, hopefully my GPS will be here this week so that my husband and I can go on our first caching adventure this weekend (finally!!).

We were actually just planning on packing a lunch and making a day of it (going to do some hiking as well). I just wondered what essentials or must have items would you suggest a newbie to bring? I don't want to get out into the middle of the woods and think, "Gosh, why didn't I bring THAT?". Of course, maybe I really don't need much more than my GPS. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. :D

I have:

Camera

Baggies for cache maintenance

Extra log book

Extra batteries for the GPS

Extra Sharpies for signing the logs

waterless soap

neosporine

kleenex

munchies

trash bag(s)

chapstick

sunscreen

bag of trackables I need to move

bag for trackables I pick up

a few bandaids

Winter:

watch cap

thin gloves

ice cleats

Summer:

rain gear

local area trail map(s)

Yeah that about covers it. OH!!..... the pack is a hydration pack so it has water in it too.

edit to add bandaids

Edited by ngrrfan

I carry a daypack whenever I'm out whether it's caching or a dayhike. Obviously for a park & grab I don't strap it on, but I'll often have it in the car. It always has:

water

first aid kit

lighter/matches

swiss army knife (with knife & saw)

bug spray

sharpie

pencil

pen

spare batteries for GPS

flashlight

UV flashlight (not actually for caching)

headlamp

clipboard & pad (mostly not for caching)

I may add a leatherman in the near future. If I know I'm going to be out for a day there's room for lunch or a snack. If the weather is cool I keep a fleece jacket in the pack (stuffed into a ziplock bag, works as a poor-man's space saver bag when you squeeze the air out). I always have a point & shoot camera with me, if I'm on a photo-trip I have an insert that fits in the pack and holds a dSLR and a couple of lenses and spare battery packs.

The first aid kit is based on a cheap $1 from walmart. I added a few things that are useful for outdoors (tweezers, small bottle of hydrogen peroxide instead of neosporin [allergies on my part], better band-aids).

It won't hurt to carry a spare log (you can print them out online) and a few spare small baggies to replace damp logs. I haven't printed any out yet but I probably will soon. I don't have a dedicated "swag bag", but I carry a couple of trade items in a side pouch of the backpack.

It all depends on the kinds of caches I'm going after. Fir urban and suburban hunts all I carry are my GPS, some trade items, my digital camera and maybe some insect repellent and water.

For caches that involve hikes I take everything I take on all hikes and that includes enough equipment to spend a night or two outdoors.

Here is my pack when I emptied it out a couple of years ago. This is my summer bag. I've also since added a small emergency bivy sack which is always in my pack. I've also ditched the PDA since I now have a paperless GPS. For winter I add a down vest, wool hat, a thicker fleece pullover, neck gaiter and extra gloves.

26f969a4-ed83-480a-810a-da08d1fccffd.jpg

Edited by briansnat

You should certainly check out the previous discussion on what items to take... and another thing I find particularly useful is having a simple pencil sharpener handy! I generally always have something with me to sign the log but I personally dislike trying to sign with a dull pencil so I sharpen them along the way so the next cacher doesn't have to! :anibad:

Wow, thanks for all the replies!! Definitely a lot of items I would not have thought of, so I'm definitely glad I asked. Honestly, I know to be as safe as possible, but it wouldn't have dawned on me to bring things like a whistle or a mylar blanket. You never know when a sticky situation will present itself!

Something I have not seen listed here but that I have frequently needed is a pair of leather gloves. They are handy when turning over rocks and logs and looking through cedar trees. Spider-proof gloves are best.

Wow, thanks for all the replies!! Definitely a lot of items I would not have thought of, so I'm definitely glad I asked. Honestly, I know to be as safe as possible, but it wouldn't have dawned on me to bring things like a whistle or a mylar blanket. You never know when a sticky situation will present itself!

Pocket knife

matches

lighter

socks

rain jacket/pants

hat

mylar blanket x2

compact poncho

whistle

insect reellant

first aid kit

lightweight rope