water caches

reneescaches

if you mean under water caches...it's simple (explanation wise).... get yourself a waterproof cache container (pelican case or something along those lines) get some some scuba gear and go hiding in the water...if it is in shallower water maybe the scuba gear is not required and people can wade out to it or swim and use a mask and snorkel... make sure you add the "special equipment" attribute to the cache page and provide an explanantion of what it is cachers will need / need to do to get the cache.

You need to decide if its fresh or sea,

if its sea you will need to pick a cache container where the water seal is an internal one or the salt will eat thru eat, i have a cache in the english channel that uses a specimin pot, screw top lid, and the seal is behind the screw section!!

if its not sucured it will need to be weighty, or you will have to add weights (fishing ones are cheap and easyily replacable)

Chose your location wisely, is there undercurrants, does its get dangerous during or after rain,

what ever you chose make sure you put every detail that people will need to know on the cache listing, even if you think if there going after it and should be something they know, you will alwise find that one person that sais i didnt think of that or that didnt occure to me.

You need to decide if its fresh or sea,

if its sea you will need to pick a cache container where the water seal is an internal one or the salt will eat thru eat, i have a cache in the english channel that uses a specimin pot, screw top lid, and the seal is behind the screw section!!

if its not sucured it will need to be weighty, or you will have to add weights (fishing ones are cheap and easyily replacable)

Chose your location wisely, is there undercurrants, does its get dangerous during or after rain,

what ever you chose make sure you put every detail that people will need to know on the cache listing, even if you think if there going after it and should be something they know, you will alwise find that one person that sais i didnt think of that or that didnt occure to me.

We have one that is under about 2-3' of fresh water. It has been out since 10/08. As of the last find last September it was in great shape.

It is a pelican box inside a .50 cal ammo can. The ammo can itself is bone dry but the pelican box is a back-up just in case. According to the tag on the pelican box it is not made to be continuously submerged.

Edited by Knight2000

I have used Nalgene water bottles and they work great. You will be surprised how much weight you will need to keep it down. I attach mine to a small rope with a carabeener *SP hook to a large log / rock. I also put the little moisture absorbing packs in it. (think beef jerky) You can get them for free at any Pier 1 imports or furniture store, they just toss em.

I have used Nalgene water bottles and they work great. You will be surprised how much weight you will need to keep it down. I attach mine to a small rope with a carabeener *SP hook to a large log / rock. I also put the little moisture absorbing packs in it. (think beef jerky) You can get them for free at any Pier 1 imports or furniture store, they just toss em.

What do you put in the containers??? :)

What do you put in the containers??? :)

Generally stuff that won't get ruined if it gets wet. Coins, plastic figurines, etc.