Is this cache too dangerous?

iWikeCake

How would one rig a harness/rope to stop you from falling off of a log?

One could build a ropeway above the log, using trees on both sides as support.

And how would you propose getting a rope to the other side? Unless you have something to launch a rope across and into a tree then you would either have to cross the log or go down into the ravine and up the other side, at which point you could just log the cache, provided it is still there.

I would say the proper benchmark for "too dangerous" rests with:

Unknown CachePsycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...86-c332841529da

I mean...it's actually radioactive.

wow, that one is REALLY insane.

You're right, this one must get the prize for most dangerous.

In the logs someone actually did get trapped down at the bottom of the pit where the control rods used to be, for over an hour and a half (got left alone for 90 min while his buddy got rescue personel). the cache owner recommends getting out of there in 15 minutes!!

People have reported coming out of that one feeling sick for days.

A local resident had to have two limbs amputated because her husband stole some metal out of that building and used it as a table. The radioactivity did so much damage she had to have her limbs amputated.

There's a picture in there of a calf born nearby with a foot coming out of it's back. Really.

This stuff is not made up. Why someone would want to hide a cache there and put people in danger is beyond me. Why someone would want to find this cache and put themselves in danger is beyond me.

So far the local sheriff is putting up with it. Seems to have a good attitude anyway. I'm glad they are letting it go for now. Although I think it's nuts, I do think the law officials are great to let us decide how stupid we want to be.

Here is a good example of a location that is waaaaaay too dangerous for me, but this guy just goes strolling around like there's nothing to it.

(tsunami_KNUW posted this over in what/where in OT)

Wow, that is an amazing video. Thanks for posting it.

For those who don't want to follow the link, it is a 1 meter wide concrete walkway along a gorge.

It is the Camino Del Rey in Spain.

It was built in 1901 and has disintegrated greatly in the last 100 years. It was built when they put the dam in for dam workers and for the king to come and check out the work. (hence the name)

They finally closed it to travel in 2000 after four people fell to their deaths in two separate incidents.

They posted police and distroyed more of it after people kept sneaking through.

They just recently announced (last year??) that they are looking to restore this trail.

They have asked for people to submit bids on the work.

I guess it just was too popular. (especially after the u-tube video it is reported)

They expect it will be five years before anyone can use the new path, but since they don't even know who will work on it, who knows what the actual time will be.

I'm glad they are working on preserving this. So in some five or eight years someone can go put a geocache there :)

A new cache came up in our area that seems to be too dangerous for our sport. According to the logs there is as much as a 75 foot drop off! What do you guys think?

This Cache Will Make You Cross

It is a cute name though, I'll give it that.

It looks fine to me. This wouldn't be the first cache in California to need a harness to get, GCP6BM or GC17RFA come to mind off hand. It's rated correctly as a 5 terrain.

I'm a little curious about the mechanics here. Having done a lot of rock climbing, I'm familiar with being tied into a rope going to a point ABOVE my head, so that if I fall DOWN the rope ABOVE me will serve to stop my fall.

How would one rig a harness/rope to stop you from falling off of a log? Is there a skyhook far enough above the log that no matter where you fall, the rope won't just pendulum you over into the side of the ravine?

I'm certainly not saying this cache isn't viable -- I'm just questioning if there is an effective way to rope up for it.

You can rig a tyrolean traverse for protection. Edited by coggins

Putting a cache in an abandoned nuclear reactor is a little over the top, but I can make my own decision as to whether i will attempt the find or not. As for the cache that is the subject of the OP, there are other ways to get there and the CO informs all seekers not to attempt the crossing unless prepared for the task.

Its unfortunate that the cache is now temporarily disabled as this seemed like a truly unique hide in a beautiful place. Isn't that what caching is all about?

How would one rig a harness/rope to stop you from falling off of a log?

One could build a ropeway above the log, using trees on both sides as support.

I think the CO should just come out and carry me across.

After all, he put the cache there! :laughing:

Mountainman just log a NM on it... when he comes to check it ask him if he would mind taking the end of this rope and tying it to something on the other side! :P

Mountainman just log a NM on it... when he comes to check it ask him if he would mind taking the end of this rope and tying it to something on the other side! :P

Oh, yeah... like he'd trust THAT!!!

What? You think he'd tie it to an acme anvil?

meep meep!!!!

Acme_anvil.gif

Edited by knowschad
I find it very difficult to believe that an old nuclear reactor, emitting radiation, would be allowed open to the public.

:P

I find it very difficult to believe that Vinny would ever make up something absurdly surrealistic.

I've been to Vinny's mountaintop residence on a few occasions and ate dinner with him on others. The nuclear reactor is not to be taken lightly.

I have to agree with Bittsen on this. If the CO took the risk to place the cache and appropriately rates and describes the risks, terrain and difficulty, that's all that's required. The rest is up to us to use common sense when finding caches, as has been stated, knowing our own limitations.

For example, last winter I was out caching along the Mississippi in MN and took a slide about 300 feet down a gorge. When I finally stopped, I realized that I should have told my wife where I was going in the event that I got hurt. The next day, I was two stages into a four stage and had to take an icy trail about 10 inches wide over a 150' cliff used for ice climbing. I got about three feet into this, looked down and said to self "This will probably be the last dumb thing you do in life". That was the end of that cache. I didn't blame the cache owner, it was my own fault for not researching the cache more thoroughly and realizing that trying this in winter after melting snow then freezing temps is not a good idea.

Geocaching is a sport. Most sports can have an element of danger to them. That's why we have descritions, TWO different difficulty levels, & numerous attribute icons to stress dangerous conditions. Two things which caching doesn't need is:

1. More rules & guidelines

2. An agenda to make every cache 100% safe for every single cacher. Basically that would mean limit them to skirt-lifters in abandoned parking lots which have 24 hour security available.

If it ever came down to that, I'd quit. I'm an adrenaline junkie & look for that type of rush in the caches I seek, plus incorporate high difficulty into about 25% of the ones I hide. This includes situations you have to wade and/or swim to, caches protected by various wildlife, ones which you have to be roped off and/or rappell to, and night-caches which will lead you into the middle of a forest, several miles from any civilization.

I have yet to SEEK a dangerous cache which didn't have plenty of warnings associated with it, nor have I ever HID one which didn't include those necessary warnings either.

There's 1,000,000+ caches in the world right now. 90% of those are skill level 2 or below. So there's no need to try to phase out the difficult and/or dangerous ones. Those who don't feel comfortable doing them have 900,000 others to choose from.

I'm really just wondering why the OP didn't start this thread under their actual account, or was it too dangerous?:huh:

I did not see anything in the OP's profile to indicate that it was not their actual account. But perhaps I missed something. In any event, the cache that started this thread has been archived, primarily because it was in an area of the park where only virtual caches are permitted under current guidelines. It may have had other problems under the general state park guidelines, but that is for another thread. We are planning a hike in that area next month. The cache had been on my "to do" list.

I'm really just wondering why the OP didn't start this thread under their actual account, or was it too dangerous?:huh:

I did not see anything in the OP's profile to indicate that it was not their actual account. But perhaps I missed something.

The puzzle cache that they hid is a spoof video of the actress baking a cake. "I wike(like) cake". :ph34r: Based on the find history, I also suspect that they posted this thread in jest also. (about their own cache) :blink:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool