Is this cache too dangerous?

iWikeCake

As long as the terrain rating is appropriate (and it is, with a 5), I don't see a problem.

I probably wouldn't try it, but the cache owner is honest about what is involved, so people know what they are getting into and to bring safety equipment.

I get very annoyed at "sneaky" cache owners who put a cache 50 feet up a tree and call that terrain 2 or 3 :D

dangerous?...not at all, i've seen worse

as others said, the decision is upon each one of us to decide if we can or can't do it

this for example, even though is not translated, the attributes and the pictures in the listing as well as the gallery speak for themselves

the trip to the cache is through an abandoned sewer, and obviously you will have no GPS reception :D

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...47-514df2c67cfd

Edited by t4e

Looks fine to me.

I'm a wuss sometimes with danger involved but I would do that one.

From the listing

Not every cache need be converted to a smiley. This is one of those caches. I implore you to put this one on ignore. If you do attempt to retrieve this cache I highly suggest looking for a route down to the creek and back up the other side. DO NOT attempt to cross this log without a rope and harness, doing so will put you in great peril. Geocaching is not worth putting your life at risk.

Rated at a 5 terrain...

Looks like a good one. And, really, a girl is crossing the log in the picture. How dangerous could it really be?

As other have said I do not see anything wrong with this cache. The owner clearly warns seekers about the dangers and even suggests an alternate route to reach the cache! I think it's the owners have done everything in their power to ensure people know the dangers if they do choose to go after it.

There is nothing in the guidelines that address cache safety...

There's your answer! Groundspeak nor the Reviewers consider safety when allowing a cache listing.

This whole game is built on trust - apparently they trust geocachers to make their own decisions about what is safe for that individual cacher.

If you feel unsafe or endangered in ANY situation, not just geocaching, stop immediately and avoid the risk.

Looks fine to me.

Got any vacation time coming?

And, really, a girl is crossing the log in the picture. How dangerous could it really be?

Oh, flask!!! That statement alone rates 5 stars!! Edited by knowschad
Looks fine to me.

And, really, a girl is crossing the log in the picture. How dangerous could it really be?

Oh, flask!!! That statement alone rates 5 stars!!

Time, yes. Finances, no.

Buy my plane ticket and I'm all over that cache!

Looks fine to me.

Oh, flask!!! That statement alone rates 5 stars!!

Time, yes. Finances, no.

Buy my plane ticket and I'm all over that cache!

b9c76234-f804-4a70-8a81-cb488e815032.jpg

as others said, the decision is upon each one of us to decide if we can or can't do it

this for example, even though is not translated, the attributes and the pictures in the listing as well as the gallery speak for themselves

the trip to the cache is through an abandoned sewer, and obviously you will have no GPS reception :D

Yes but still, on that cache one misstep wont send you to your death!

In life, one misstep can cause you death.

In life, one misstep can cause you death.
I drove my car today. On the freeway, nonetheless. Oh... and its a Toyota. But I made it.

The really important thing on that cache is to make sure your shoes are tied before starting out. :D

I just hope nobody gets killed trying to get that cache.

Sometimes people dont know their own limits and accidents can happen at any moment.

In my area not long ago someone got himself some serious cuts on his hand trying to climb a tree to get a cache.

The point is that the person thought he could climb a tree and never thought he could get hurt. After all it was just climbing a tree.

For this particular cache, it doesnt look that dangerous, the tree is large enough that I think alot of people wont have second thoughts about doing it wothout thinking of the consequences.

Yes I think this cache is too dangerous and there was no need for the owner to put a cache in a place that clearly can put someones life at risk. This is not what geocaching is about.

If something ever happens to someone I hope the person(s) that put that cache there will be held responsible. You cant just put a container in a dangerous place and just put a disclaimer and then get away with it if something goes wrong.

Edited by ZeMartelo

Sometimes people dont know their own limits and accidents can happen at any moment.

In my area not long ago someone got himself some serious cuts on his hand trying to climb a tree to get a cache.

The point is that the person thought he could climb a tree and never thought he would get hurt.

This particular cache, it doesnt look that dangerous, the tree is large enough that I think alot of people wont have second thoughts about doing it.

We call that the Darwin effect

If something ever happens to someone I hope the person(s) that put that cache there will be held responsible. You cant just put a container in a dangerous place and just put a disclaimer and then get away with it if something goes wrong.

I hope no cache hider EVER gets held responsible for an accident that someone suffers. That will be the day geocaching dies.

If people can't determine their abilities and risk for themselves, then the Darwin effect remains.

I can see it now. Someone suing a cache owner because they got hit by a car doing a WalMart LPC...

The point is that the person thought he could climb a tree and never thought he would get hurt.

This particular cache, it doesnt look that dangerous, the tree is large enough that I think alot of people wont have second thoughts about doing it.

Yes I think this cache is too dangerous and there was no need for the owner to put a cache in a place that clearly can put someones life at risk. This is not what geocaching is about.

If someone dies jumping off of a bridge, is it the engineer that designed the bridge that is at fault? As in all things, cachers need to know and respect their limits. People die every year trying to climb Mt Everest. Maybe we need to rope it off?

Life is not safe, and some of us find life with risk to be more exciting and worth living than a safe life. If you want total safety, check yourself into a padded cell somewhere.

How's this cache to make the OP look tame? GCHVV2 Deathwish?

As other have said I do not see anything wrong with this cache. The owner clearly warns seekers about the dangers and even suggests an alternate route to reach the cache! I think it's the owners have done everything in their power to ensure people know the dangers if they do choose to go after it.

I don't care if the listing didn't mention anything about the hazards. It is a five star terrain rated cache. You have to know that it is not a p&g. But even if it was rated wrong at, say, 1.5 stars you should know when you look at it if it is beyond your ability. If you think it is to dangerous walk away. Only you can decide such things for you.

The point is that the person thought he could climb a tree and never thought he could get hurt. After all it was just climbing a tree.

For this particular cache, it doesnt look that dangerous, the tree is large enough that I think alot of people wont have second thoughts about doing it wothout thinking of the consequences.

this isn't a genuine response right? this is one of those posts in a forum just designed to stir things up for fun.

i'm kinda new to these interweb forum things, i think i'm supposed to just insert a frog eating popcorn and watch other people point out the absurdity of ZeMartelo's post.

this isn't a genuine response right? this is one of those posts in a forum just designed to stir things up for fun.

i'm kinda new to these interweb forum things, i think i'm supposed to just insert a frog eating popcorn and watch other people point out the absurdity of ZeMartelo's post.

Pretty close.

:D

Oh. Goodness gracious! This one's a 400' drop! And not nearly as frightening as the next one (of which I did not get a picture.)

632ef8be-ca01-4190-b669-d23048a06232.jpg

Scenic overlook of the Hudson River and the Spuyten Duyvil, from the Jersey Palisades.

Next one has six finds and six DNFs. Six people were smart enough to say "Nope. Not going to try that. Thanks anyway." They assessed the situation, and decided it was not safe enough for them to try. And that's what it's all about. The warnings are there. If you don't feel safe attempting it, then DON'T!

:D What is it we're watchin again???

Sumthin' called The Dangerous Geocache, I think.

Pass the Jr Mints, please.

:D This is kinda boring! Is Finding Caches in Trees still playing next door??

gratuitous on topic comment- I wouldn't try that!!

Please contribute to the Bittsen Fund or this thread will go on and on and on.

Keep in mind I only fly first class.

sure, that's in line with the typical sad state of afairs we face this days

"lets punish someone else for my own lack of judgment"

ever heard of loss of orientation in dark enclosed spaces, and no GPS?

there is a very good reason the "death" icon is there

Edited by t4e

Fly ? :D And miss all those caches along the way?? I'm thinkin more like Greyhound!!

Y'all can waste your time watching the shows.

I'm attending Dragon School of Law. It's awesome. I've already learned how to be an amateur lawyer while waiting for my case to be heard.

I actually discovered that judges will hear from the general public on minor misdemeanor cases.

Just today we learned that as long as you got facts, you can affect an arrest and conviction. I have to admit that I fell asleep in class. When I woke up he was saying something about bullying people into plea agreements and such.

I wasn't really sure if it all made sense. But since he said he was a criminal in his youth, then I figured he has to know what he's talking about.

Nope, they'll be no shows for me. I'm all about using my time to learn useful, life changing skills.

One thing I did know before taking his class was that I should know my own limits when deciding whether or not to attempt a cache. There are caches that are too dangerous for me, but quite doable for others.

There are caches that I feel comfortable doing and someone else might not.

As long as this cache is rated as a 5 terrain, then it is up to anyone attempting it to determine if it's too much for their skill level.

Y'all can waste your time watching the shows.

I'm attending Dragon School of Law. It's awesome. I've already learned how to be an amateur lawyer while waiting for my case to be heard.

I actually discovered that judges will hear from the general public on minor misdemeanor cases.

Just today we learned that as long as you got facts, you can affect an arrest and conviction. I have to admit that I fell asleep in class. When I woke up he was saying something about bullying people into plea agreements and such.

I wasn't really sure if it all made sense. But since he said he was a criminal in his youth, then I figured he has to know what he's talking about.

Nope, they'll be no shows for me. I'm all about using my time to learn useful, life changing skills.

One thing I did know before taking his class was that I should know my own limits when deciding whether or not to attempt a cache. There are caches that are too dangerous for me, but quite doable for others.

There are caches that I feel comfortable doing and someone else might not.

As long as this cache is rated as a 5 terrain, then it is up to anyone attempting it to determine if it's too much for their skill level.

Hold on just one second... did you say FACTS?!? Where? You mean like REAL, TRUE facts? Here?

Hold on just one second... did you say FACTS?!? Where? You mean like REAL, TRUE facts? Here?

Hey, that's what the guys said. The way I understood it led me to believe that as long as you got facts, you don't even have to have a real crime either. All you need is facts.

It's a fascinating course. There's still room in the class. I can probably get you in if you like.

If for anything this forum is predictable.

Some of the replies to my post are exactly what I expected.

It doesnt change the fact that just because you put a disclaimer does not get you a free pass at negligence.

Its one thing have a cache in a lamp post and another putting it in a place that is visibly dangerous and to not take the necessary steps to make it safe and a disclaimer is not enough.

Sooner or later someone will get hurt and take it to their lawyers and then it will not be a popcorn show... Its only a matter of time.

It doesnt change the fact that just because you put a disclaimer does not get you a free pass at negligence.

Its one thing have a cache in a lamp post and another putting it in a place that is visibly dangerous and to not take the necessary steps to make it safe and a disclaimer is not enough.

Sooner or later someone will get hurt and take it to their lawyers and then it will not be a popcorn show... Its only a matter of time.

Your "safety first" post was also predictable. We are all responsible for our own actions. I don't want life to be completely safe in this already terribly overprotective world. If I were out caching, had that cache loaded in, came up to it, but wasn't prepared, I'd turn away.

Hey, that's what the guys said. The way I understood it led me to believe that as long as you got facts, you don't even have to have a real crime either. All you need is facts.

It's a fascinating course. There's still room in the class. I can probably get you in if you like.

YAWN.gif

YAWN.gif

Yeah, I don't blame you for being bored. I just checked and those so-called "facts" were really nothing but a overrated egotistical opinion. Bored me, too. Here, I thought we had some real, solid facts.

Fly ? :D And miss all those caches along the way?? I'm thinkin more like Greyhound!!

Hell! Why not UPS ground? Chuck a couple of water bottles and a few twinkies in the box with him and he'll be fine.

Hell! Why not UPS ground? Chuck a couple of water bottles and a few twinkies in the box with him and he'll be fine.

I'm thinkin' more like D.B. Cooper, since our contribution jar isn't filling up too quickly. Hopefully we will at least be able to raise enough for a parachute, but so far it isn't looking too promising.

Look, I understand your sentiment, I really do. But you are WAAAAY off base.

Telling someone "hey, there's something really cool on the other side of that canyon, and here's a log to cross it", isn't negigence. It's a log, over a canyon. You have a choice to cross it or not, for whatever reason. If there isn't a cache there and someone falls, who should you sue then?

Now, if you say it's safe, when it's not...different story. If you say a gun isn't loaded, and it is... different story.

Unfortunately this society has become a "It's not my fault, it's YOURS" when people do stupid things. That mentality is slowly fading with all the stupid lawsuits that have been brough with this mentality. It's not to say there won't be another stupid lawsuit blaming someone else when a person does something foolish. The day the burglar sued the homeoner because he got hurt breaking into their house, and won, was the day the world started looking at those lawsuits. But, the damage is done.

Again, the day someone wins a lawsuit against a CO because they overestimated their own abilities or made a mistake, or nature gave a little twist, is the day geocaching dies.