Will I run out of space?

3isamagic#

I too have the eTrex Venture and what I do is offload all my caches onto my mapping laptop and then dump all caches out of the GPS itself. Then I can start fresh and load just what I want.

One thing that has helped tremendously is the creation of a custom symbol for my caches, and a custom symbol for my friends caches that I want to keep. What I need to do is create another symbol for possible hide locations. :D

You can get 1000 waypoints on a Colarado. You can expand that by inserting a memory card (in the slot in the batt compartment). Do'nt worry about going over 1000 caches (waypoints) because you can delete the ones that you have found or the ones you aren't gonna need that day. If you are a premium member, just run a query for the day you are heading out, load it and after you are done for the day, log the ones you found, delete the query and re-load a new ne the next time you are going out. The next query will not include the ones you previously found providing you set your pocket query to "not include" previously found.

You can get 1000 waypoints on a Colarado. You can expand that by inserting a memory card (in the slot in the batt compartment). Do'nt worry about going over 1000 caches (waypoints) because you can delete the ones that you have found or the ones you aren't gonna need that day. If you are a premium member, just run a query for the day you are heading out, load it and after you are done for the day, log the ones you found, delete the query and re-load a new ne the next time you are going out. The next query will not include the ones you previously found providing you set your pocket query to "not include" previously found.

I have a Garmin 60CSX and I was running into that same problem. Downside to trying to load more than 2 500-count PQs at the same time. Ended up deleting what was there, and loading up a PQ for the trip of the day. Just involves a lot of delete and loads if you go different places often. However, if you pretty much go out and around the same places frequently, not as much of an impact.

Actually I believe the Colorado can hold 2000 geocaches or 200 GPX files, in addition to 1000 waypoints.

With the geocaches (that you write into \Garmin\GPX directory) it will NOT warn you when it is full. Instead, it will quietly discard those extras.

Checking for the file limit is fairly easy - just count the # of GPX files in there. For # of geocaches, it is rather more difficult. There is a GSAK macro that will do it.

Periodically you should delete all the geocaches and load in a new set.

Like some of the other posters have pointed out - the Colorado is one of the newer paperless units from Garmin. Unlike older units like the 60cx or Venture, it keeps geocaches stored in their own category and file(s), separate from waypoints.

You can have up to 2000 geocaches or 200 files - whichever limit you hit first. If you are downloading waypoints one at a time from geocaching.com you will most likely hit the 200 files limit first. I see you're a premium member so you might want to consider using pocket queries. They'll let you download up to 500 caches at a time in one file that is emailed to you. You can drag and drop the gpx file onto your Oregon or you can use a program like GSAK to keep track of your caches. I use GSAK to combine 3 pocket queries covering the area I usually cache in so at any time I have around 1500 caches on my GPS - I can just hit "find nearest geocache" and off I go. It's very convienent.

Yes, I think this is what we do. If I have caches on there already (from a previous pq) then when I send it to the garmin, it only loads the new info right? We use GSAK, but we are not confortable using poking around much inside GSAK. We learned how to use it per Geosnippits and have left all the settings alone. How do I check if it is full. Please keep in mind that it has taken me months to get really comfortable using it....

i have a nuvi 500. . didn't know about the gpx file limit.. but it explains a few things.. i have like 8 or so in there.. just keeps displaying them all .. nice to know i'm a ways from the limit.

i never read this in the manual either..

thanks for the info.. very enlightening..

To transfer from GSAK to Colorado / Oregon, I use this macro:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...ost&p=97225

To count the number of geocaches in the GPX directory of the Colorado, I use this macro:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry71125

I may be mistaken about no warning message when the limit is reached. I read somewhere that it is fixed in firmware 2.3.

Edited by Chrysalides
um...whats a macro?

It's a little script that runs inside GSAK. It is what makes GSAK so powerful - there's a macro for just about anything.

When you click on a macro (e.g. the ColoradoGPXMan), your browser asks if you want to open it with GSAK. When GSAK starts up, it asks if you want to run or install it. Choose install.

Plug in your Colorado. After Windows is all happy, go to the Macro menu, choose "Run/Manage", click on the macro (in this case, ColoradoGPXMan), then click the "Run" button.