Geocaching Events

redjada

It depends on what you mean by promoting it to non geocachers. Events and CITOs are supposed to organized for geocachers by geocachers. That said nobody is going to say anything if you invite some friends who are not geocachers.

Where do you get that "Events and CITOs are supposed to organized for geocachers by geocachers"?

If that's true the hosts of the almost 200 events I have attended and the ~30 events that I have hosted are doing it wrong, because I can't recall a single one where the public wasn't invited to come and learn about our game!

I think you are talking about the guideline that geocaching events cannot be part of another organized event, such as the Moss Rock Art Festival where I host an AGA (Alabama Geocachers Association) booth and conduct Geocaching 101 training for the public every year. Or the 100th Annual Boy Scout Camporee where I taught Geocaching yesterday to over 400 of the attending 1000 Scouts. We can't list these as an event because they are part of a larger non-geocaching event which is not "for geocachers by geocachers".

But as far as a geocaching event being open to anyone, they are, and they are a great way to promote the game to the public.

Where do you get that "Events and CITOs are supposed to organized for geocachers by geocachers"?

The guidelines. Though the wording has changed somewhat over the years that is still the gist of an event. It organized by geocachers for geocachers. You don't organize a CITO for the Boy Scouts.

The guidelines. Though the wording has changed somewhat over the years that is still the gist of an event. It organized by geocachers for geocachers. You don't organize a CITO for the Boy Scouts.

No, you don't organize a geocaching.com-listed event specifically for Boy Scouts, but when you do have a listed CITO event it is open to all comers, and is often advertised on calendars, forums, web pages, even local newspapers, and anyone is welcome to attend and participate.

Whether it is open to all is what the OP asked, and it in fact is.

Yes, you can invite anyone. I think you would want to make sure you didn't cross into inviting sooo many people that it became something other than a geocaching Event.

There's nothing wrong with having a Geocaching event and then ALSO inviting your local Cub Scouts, and/or your local hiking club...the line in the sand when it gets so large or mixed that geocaching is not the primary focus anymore. Like the example, inviting geocachers to another groups event does not turn it into a geocaching event. It will be a matter of how much, and what type of cross promotion you attempt.

I was just curios, I have couple non-geocachers that want to help out at my events. I was just wondering if it would be OK if they attended with out having to sign up on geocaching.com first.

Thanks for your answers.

Sure they can. They don't even have to sign up afterward.

What I meant above by "organized by geocachers for geocachers" means that you can't organize a CITO for the local Kiwanis and list it as an event here, or list your town's spring festival as an event.

There is nothing wrong with non geocachers attending events or CITOs. In fact it is encouraged. It is a good way to introduce the sport to people.

Edited by briansnat