What to do with a spiteful geocacher?

mck681s

Spiteful also applies to finders as well. I had a finder who complained to Groundspeak, claimed I was violating the terms of use, and even started a forum thread all because I wouldn't let them claim a second find on one of my caches.

There are people out the there who think they are better than everyone else, want you to play the game their way, are bullies, or just plain jerks. They think the system is set up for them and what they believe and all others must comply with what they think and say.

My advice would be to try and work it out with them. If that does not work and you think you have been wronged then complain to Groundspeak. If the person is violating the the terms of use or the guidelines, they will most likely be dealt with.

Spiteful also applies to finders as well. I had a finder who complained to Groundspeak, claimed I was violating the terms of use, and even started a forum thread all because I wouldn't let them claim a second find on one of my caches.

Control freak! I'm joking! But I agree, there is "abuse" and "selfishness" on both sides of the equation.

In my previous post I agreed with what Briansnat said, and my addition wasn't meant to belittle his post, just to call attention to the other side of the "geocion".

I've gone on record with my views about the "rules" and always ended saying "play the way you want". This statement itself invites the problems Briansnat describes. Too many people, playing too many different games, in too many different ways. Someone is bound to whine.

But if you point out anything that even resembles "rules" the whiners come out of the woodwork equally as fast.

As far as signing the logbook in the cache, I agree there are many reasons (legitimate reasons!) someone might not be able to sign. I'm sorry but (IMHO) not having a pen/cil??? That is NOT one of them. You don't go geocaching without your coordinates do you??? I guess I draw the line between legitimate reasons and your irresponsibility. "Well I just forgot"... I actually had someone tell me this as a reason they did not sign in the log!!!!

I even got a long drawn out History lesson and a lecture about the "spirit" of the game and its "roots". When Dave Ulmer hid the very first geocache, what did he ask? I was not here but I am told it was "find the cache, write your experience in the logbook." There was no online logging. So when people argue with me (and even use this quote as part of their argument) about not signing the logbook... I just have to shake my head and think " and you think I am the one who doesn't get it".

I think the description in the OP is one case where the Owner took it too far. Just my opinion. I recognize his rights to enforce the "rules" as he sees them, but I think he could let it slide just as easily. As I stated earlier in the thread, Its not my call. Once the owner realized there was more than one container at the location, I think he could have allowed the log. Key word being "could".

Is it me or is this log deletion nonsense increasing? I rarely saw complaints like this until the past year or so. Now they pop up almost weekly.

Control freaks really should reconsider the idea of cache ownership.

It is not just you. I noticed yesterday that we had three active threads regarding deleted logs, (at the moment, they were even listed consecutively) on the first page of this forum.

How long has it been since we've had a good bomb squad thread?

There are people out the there who think they are better than everyone else, want you to play the game their way, are bullies, or just plain jerks. They think the system is set up for them and what they believe and all others must comply with what they think and say.

My advice would be to try and work it out with them. If that does not work and you think you have been wronged then complain to Groundspeak. If the person is violating the the terms of use or the guidelines, they will most likely be dealt with.

Ain't THAT the truth. I had a guy threaten to sue me over one of my caches. (a 5/5) :rolleyes:

He also threatened Groundspeak with a made up story and I produced a previous email from him to me that proved him a liar. :laughing::rolleyes:

This person was also a previously banned user (still banned from these forums to this day) who was using a different name. I did about 10 minutes detective work and figured out who it was, asked him, and he admitted it freely. :huh:

Funny thing. I never met this person. He lives on the East coast, but I knew of him not just from these forums (mostly OT) but by word of mouth and not the good kind. I had even predicted (a year earlier) that if someone had an objection to one of my caches it would be someone like him by name. It was a cool feeling to forward that email to him. :laughing::)

I get around the country and I had the opportunity to get to meet him at an event he was hosting, but my business trip to Smith & Wesson Academy got cancelled. I didn't post on his event that I wasn't coming after all and guess what? He was a no show until the end. I got quite a laugh from that. Still do. I picture him sitting in the parking lot all skeered until the coast is clear. :DB):D (I don't care if that's the real reason he was so late. That's what I choose to think.)

I'm sure I'll get to meet him some day if he keeps going to events and hosting them regularly. :anibad: I can't wait to see if he matches my mental picture of him in person. :D:rolleyes:

Ain't THAT the truth. I had a guy threaten to sue me over one of my caches. (a 5/5) :laughing:

You're gonna just leave us hanging after posting a thread with that many emoticons and such intrigue? B)

Jeesh... :laughing: Where are your detective skills? Clue: East coast cacher w/negative WOM, S&W Academy, frequent event host, previous caching account banned, still banned from the forums...

It's ALL there Sherlock. :D:)

Edited by Snoogans

Ain't THAT the truth. I had a guy threaten to sue me over one of my caches. (a 5/5) :laughing:

You're gonna just leave us hanging after posting a thread with that many emoticons and such intrigue? B)

Jeesh... :laughing: Where are your detective skills? Clue: East coast cacher w/negative WOM, S&W Academy, frequent event host, previous caching account banned, still banned from the forums...

I'm workin' on it. I'm workin' on it. :D Got a pretty good idea of which cache it was, know where the S&W Academy is.

I think I figured it out. The dude with the cutsie, green avatar?

I'm workin' on it. I'm workin' on it. :D Got a pretty good idea of which cache it was, know where the S&W Academy is.

Got it! Or, at least, I'm reasonably certain I know who. Still doesn't tell me The Rest of the Story, though.

Got it! Or, at least, I'm reasonably certain I know who. Still doesn't tell me The Rest of the Story, though.

OK... I'm seeing the angst now. Detective work complete.

Right you ARE Chumley!

hqdefault.jpg

Ain't THAT the truth. I had a guy threaten to sue me over one of my caches. (a 5/5) :D

You're gonna just leave us hanging after posting a thread with that many emoticons and such intrigue? :D

Jeesh... B) Where are your detective skills? Clue: East coast cacher w/negative WOM, S&W Academy, frequent event host, previous caching account banned, still banned from the forums...

Right you ARE Chumley!

hqdefault.jpg

It appears his little sandbox (since he can't post here) is all but dead now. Only one post this year in his OT forum and none anywhere else. Folks must be wise to his shenanigans. :laughing:

The other spiteful cacher I mentioned earlier in this thread did the same thing. Their forum was deader than a doornail in a year. Funny thing that. They called themselves "The Others." A prophetic cacher pointed out that as the title of a movie about dead people. :laughing:

My "Before you can torment, you must learn to annoy" has a decoy cache. It's very obvious and inside is a note that clearly states, "This is NOT the cache."
I've found one like that. And yet, eventually the decoy (complete with laminated "this is not the cache" note) acquired a "replacement" log, which was then signed by several people. And some of the on-site puzzles I've found have had "replacement" logs left in the puzzle equipment.

Any suggestions anyone?

Geocaching is a fun hobby.

What you experienced doesn't sound like fun. My advise: Forget about it. It's just not worth the worries. There is so much more to explore.

GermanSailor

I'd email the folks mentioned above. Then I'd make a mental note to ignore all this guys hides so I don't have this issue again. Then having done that, I'd let it all go and let face decide my two logs and get on with life.