Regional Geocaching Accents

shiltonpig

One of the things I love about our island also known as Britain...is all our accents.

Where I live within a 10/15 mile radius you can have around 5 or 6 different accents dependent on what town you are in.

Granted if you look on my profile we would be considered just starting out by some....but having lived in 2 areas, I have noticed that the caches in each area are quite different. Its almost like they have their own "Geoaccent". For those of you that have found caches around the country, do you feel each area has a different feel to them or am I just simply talking out my behind? :D

No - you're dead right!!!

I was chatting to someone recently who said that they'd never seen an Ammo can - yet in Wirral over the years we've had loads. Someone else said that they thougt using Lock N Locks was a great idea, they'd never seen it - yet that's all I tend to see around here these days!

I find that this extends to terrain ratings too - what I would think of as a 3 terrain I've seen as a 2 in the Yorkshire Dales, where they're used to big hills... we don't have hills here, so a bit od a scramble is a 2.5!!!

No - you're dead right!!!

I was chatting to someone recently who said that they'd never seen an Ammo can - yet in Wirral over the years we've had loads. Someone else said that they thougt using Lock N Locks was a great idea, they'd never seen it - yet that's all I tend to see around here these days!

I find that this extends to terrain ratings too - what I would think of as a 3 terrain I've seen as a 2 in the Yorkshire Dales, where they're used to big hills... we don't have hills here, so a bit od a scramble is a 2.5!!!

Hazel,

Have to agree here never mind canister type, as you know I am up that way some times with relatives. Ironically there is a local cacher down here that is up that way quite often and we both agree Wirral Caches are hard!

Here in Hampshire normally there is pile of sticks or obvious hide easy to find. I did the same when I placed my cache up on the Wirral.

Last time I was up there I checked in on my cache and nearly DNF'd it! Some one had turned a simple hide into what down here would be called an ingenious hide...

My sister lives in the South of France and is plagued by under the rock and all you can see is rocks for miles around syndrome... I have done a few down there and know what she means...

So yes I do think caches have a regional feel, just adds to the fun of the game..

I notice this very much when I visit different countries. Germanic speaking countries are very much into huge multis- often with a very complex formula to work out at the end! Now I like multis but I'm currently in Vienna working and haven't much time to cache but only 6 out the nearest 40 caches to me as I type this are trads.

Try finding a cache in the NE where the clue helpfully tells you it's a 'disco' and so you picture cachers Us 4 and Jess in 70s disco outfits and boogying on down in the back of a model of land rover... but are non the wiser when it comes to finding the cache.

I agree with Hazel about the interpretation of terrain ratings as apparently 1.5 in the NW means that the trail is only a 1 in 1 muddy, root infested bank for less than 200 metres at a time. LOL

Edited by Alibags

Try finding a cache in the NE where the clue helpfully tells you it's a 'disco' and so you picture cachers Us 4 and Jess in 70s disco outfits and boogying on down in the back of a model of land rover... but are non the wiser when it comes to finding the cache.

After writing "We had no idea what was meant by a 'micro disco' and still haven't after finding the cache" in a log (NOT in the NE) I received a rather patronising email from the owner explaining what a disco is. I'm glad we weren't the only people in the dark :blink: .

I'm glad I know what a Disco is now, thank you - I'm sure I would have been none the wiser the first time I found one (or more likely didn't find one) otherwise. I'd probbly have been looking for a large Landrover.

The one that baffled me was "ICT" in a number of clues for caches round Worcestershire. I assumed "Information & Communication Technology" and was looking for telegraph poles or phone boxes, until someone put me right by explaining it meant Ivy Covered Tree. :anitongue:

Are there any more local abbreviations I might need to know?

One of the things I love about our island also known as Britain...is all our accents.

Where I live within a 10/15 mile radius you can have around 5 or 6 different accents dependent on what town you are in.

Granted if you look on my profile we would be considered just starting out by some....but having lived in 2 areas, I have noticed that the caches in each area are quite different. Its almost like they have their own "Geoaccent". For those of you that have found caches around the country, do you feel each area has a different feel to them or am I just simply talking out my behind? :D

Back on Topic....yes, there are regional accents to caches and what D/T ratings are given. That's what makes this game so unique and interesting. Even within regions, each cache setter may have their own take on what size a small is for example, which may be classed as a regular in other areas.

I like the geo speak variations in the logs too, such as POP cache, p&g, cnd, MTT, ICT, QEF, Disco etc.

Every region I've cached in has its own 'accent', especially with regard to container terms and types. Here in the West Midlands I've learned what bison tubes and decon containers are, and we also have Joy Jars - which are special cache containers that were first released at the January Jovialities meet (GC1K0FQ). Search for keyword J. J. Joy Jar to see the original ones. There are lots of them around now.