Logging DNF

jgaiser

Do you *always* log DNF?

Went out a couple of days ago to look for a cache just down the road. Knew the area and thought it would be an easy find. By the time I parked, it was pouring down rain and I spent about 10 minutes wandering the road getting wet. Found an approximate, but it was out in the wet weeds. Gave up for the day.

I did not mark DNF because I intend to return on a better day and find it. Right or Wrong? B)

On that one, I would log the DNF, stating it was pouring rain. Keeps it simple, there's no suggestion that the cache is "missing" or anything of the sort.

But yes, making any type of attempt, I log it.

"Drove up. Too many muggles, I left w/o getting out of the car". Still a DNF.

EDIT: Returning or not is actually immaterial.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

On that one, I would log the DNF, stating it was pouring rain. Keeps it simple, there's no suggestion that the cache is "missing" or anything of the sort.

doesn't make sense, how is something you don't make the slightest attempt to look for a DNF? :D

I don't log a DNF unless I have made a reasonable search. A quick look around to figure out if I want to come back another day or a "too many muggles to look thoroughly" does not get recorded unless I feel I've given it at least a reasonable try before quitting. Too many DNFs discourage others from looking, as they may think the cache is missing or the coords seriously off. If I've given it a reasonable shot but run out of time, I'll log the DNF. If it's a situation where I hope to make a quicky but time, muggles, weather, or some other factor mean I've only given a cursory look, then I don't log it.

That's the long answer. The short answer is it's up to you.

doesn't make sense, how is something you don't make the slightest attempt to look for a DNF? :D

I would imagine that depends on your point of view. Going to look for it, whether you drove there, walked the trail, pushed brush out of the way or quit because it was too cold, wet or hot is all the same. You still made an attempt to find. Being thwarted for whatever reason is still a DNF, IMO. If I decided not to make an attempt, I probably would not have even gone there.

Posting a DNF because of high muggle activity is actually a good thing. It alerts other cachers and the CO to a possible problem.

Is common locally, being a summer high(er) volume tourist area. Many don't post a DNF, some do. I am one of the latter.

I suppose if it hurts your "score", then you shouldn't do it! :D

how is something you don't make the slightest attempt to look for a DNF?

Because you thought it would be a park-and-grab, and it’s not. That’s useful in the log -- others may also mistakenly think it’s a fast find. If the OP thought it was a well-hidden cache, and didn’t know what or where to look, they wouldn’t have gone searching in the rain.

Many people won’t let others know they “Did Not Find” a cache. They make up all kinds of justifications to not make a useful log. So the log has less info, the next guy comes along in the rain, hoping for a park-and-grab, and the cycle goes on. :D

Edited by kunarion

i log all dnf's, it might be i couldnt find it, too many muggles about or i didnt have the right footwear to get it from the middle of the stream. It might be a case i have searched every possible place and its not there.

I dont see logging dnf's as hurting your count, it if anything shows that you might have found 20 that day but actually you have tried for 25 of which five you couldnt find.

I have noticed on a couple of my caches people dont log dnf's they might do all 9 of 10 on the circuit and one which they have to walk past isnt logged either as found or dnf (bet they did attempt it).

A log of DNF isnt bad, in my books it could be helpful to a cache owner as if 3 people in a week suddenly log it as dnf it gives the CO a warning that something is up, if all three dont log it then the CO will think nothing else of the cache, just wished a couple of my caches were logged as DNF earlier and i could have done something about them i.e. replace them or with one contact the tree surgeon which turns out was working on the tree my cache was in.

The reason I asked, because my gut feeling was that because I'd made an attempt, I should log the failure. I probably wouldn't log if I didn't make ane attempt.

Think I'll go ahead and log a DNF, with an explanation of the cause (crappy weather :D ).

Thanks folks for helping a newbie..

Do you *always* log DNF?

Went out a couple of days ago to look for a cache just down the road. Knew the area and thought it would be an easy find. By the time I parked, it was pouring down rain and I spent about 10 minutes wandering the road getting wet. Found an approximate, but it was out in the wet weeds. Gave up for the day.

I did not mark DNF because I intend to return on a better day and find it. Right or Wrong? :D

There is no right or wrong. I would have logged that as a DNF because I started the hunt and didn't find the cache. As you see from the other responses here others might not have.

Look at it this way. Say the cache was missing. You don't log a DNF because you intend to go back on a nicer day. Cacher2 hunts the cache and doesn't find it but doesn't think he searched hard enough so he doesn't log a DNF. CacherA comes along and doesn't log a DNF because he doesn't like documenting his "failures". CacherX then looks for it, fails to find it and logs a DNF. NewbieCacher then hunts it and doesn't log a DNF because he's afraid that he isn't experienced enough and doesn't want to alarm the cache owner.

There were actually 5 DNFs but the cache owner only knows about 1. Several consecutive DNFs will usually catch the owner's attention, but if he sees just 1 he probably won't give it a 2nd thought. Meanwhile others will be wasting their time looking for a missing cache.

I have only logged a DNF twice. One was a 50degree down slope and if I slid down it, I might not get back up again. Will not go back to that one

The second was a series of micros that were at a park, put the hider decided to put them all off in the heavy

brush at the very edges of the park. Won't go back to that one either.

The others, I intend to go look for when there isn't snow on the ground. If I can't find it, then I will log it DNF.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

Mulvane,Kansas

I have only logged a DNF twice. One was a 50degree down slope and if I slid down it, I might not get back up again. Will not go back to that one

The second was a series of micros that were at a park, put the hider decided to put them all off in the heavy

The others, I intend to go look for when there isn't snow on the ground. If I can't find it, then I will log it DNF.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

Mulvane,Kansas

So you're not going to be a friendly cacher by logging DNFs on the too-snowy-to-find caches? DNFs like that are helpful to those searching for caches that would be snow friendly finds.

Do you *always* log DNF?

I did not mark DNF because I intend to return on a better day and find it. Right or Wrong? :D

If you log a DNF , then return to the cache another day and still can't find it , should you log this second failed attempt or maybe edit your original log ? This happened to me and I logged a DNF twice - was I right to do so ?

In the "Drove up. Too many muggles, I left w/o getting out of the car" scenario, I've left a note instead. I don't think it's a DNF because I didn't look. I do think the cache is there, others are finding it. I did want to post something so others would realize how busy the area is.

Do you *always* log DNF?

If you log a DNF , then return to the cache another day and still can't find it , should you log this second failed attempt or maybe edit your original log ? This happened to me and I logged a DNF twice - was I right to do so ?

I write a new log for every visit (within reason, if I visit multiple times in the same day I'll combine them into one). I recall one cache where I had 5 DNF logs over a 4 month period.

So you're not going to be a friendly cacher by logging DNFs on the too-snowy-to-find caches? DNFs like that are helpful to those searching for caches that would be snow friendly finds.

There is nothing 'unfriendly' about not logging a DNF. It is not a requirement, unless you want a frownie. What is unfriendly is telling her that she is not being friendly.

You should log the 2nd separate attempt (don't think of it as a failure -- there is no pass/fail here) as another DNF. Go ahead and tell why, it may be a different reason for the DNF, or you searched a different area you just 'discovered' within GZ!

A number of consecutive DNF logs may well clue the CO into the fact that something may be wrong. The CO can determine which DNF logs are/aren't important.

EDIT: highlighting.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

This is another area of this sport that many do not feel the same about. You need to read the ideas of others, then decide how you want to play it. No real right or wrong.

My philosophy is, if the reason I didn't find it has to do with the cache. Just couldn't find it, weather, muggles etc. I log a DNF. If the reason I didn't find it is personal. My knees hurt too much to look anymore, or I drive up and find the dogs need to stay in the car, and I don't want to leave them. Maybe a phone call that has a reason to call off the search, etc. I usually will not log a DNF.

Personally I wish more people would log their DNFs, I hate to see a cache that has 100 finds, and I'm the only DNF, or maybe one other DNF. (usually with several logs that say "This was my third try for this one". :D )

I guess some people would feel a DNF is a failure, but I never have. I do not expect to find every cache I search for.

I would imagine that depends on your point of view. Going to look for it, whether you drove there, walked the trail, pushed brush out of the way or quit because it was too cold, wet or hot is all the same. You still made an attempt to find. Being thwarted for whatever reason is still a DNF, IMO. If I decided not to make an attempt, I probably would not have even gone there.

Posting a DNF because of high muggle activity is actually a good thing. It alerts other cachers and the CO to a possible problem.

Is common locally, being a summer high(er) volume tourist area. Many don't post a DNF, some do. I am one of the latter.

I suppose if it hurts your "score", then you shouldn't do it! :D

i couldn't care less about the "score" :D

to me a DNF is warranted when i made a real attempt to finding it and came out empty, seeing DNF's for caches doesn't stop me from going and trying it for myself, you never know

not a big deal, each one of us is free to do what they see fit

i guess we just have to agree to disagree :D

The reason I asked, because my gut feeling was that because I'd made an attempt, I should log the failure. I probably wouldn't log if I didn't make ane attempt.

Logging a DNF is not a failure. There is no shame in it. Take pride in knowing that you're letting the owner know about your rain delayed hunt. :D

Check out my geocoin for more info: Please Log Your DNF's!

Edited by simpjkee

Do you *always* log DNF?

I think that is the right thing to do. IMO, if you visit a cache 5 times and find it on the fifth visit then you should have 4 DNF's logged and 1 Find.

In the "Drove up. Too many muggles, I left w/o getting out of the car" scenario, I've left a note instead. I don't think it's a DNF because I didn't look. I do think the cache is there, others are finding it. I did want to post something so others would realize how busy the area is.

I have posted this sort of scenario as a note before. I can see it being a DNF or a note. The important thing here is that it was at least logged.

My philosophy is, if the reason I didn't find it has to do with the cache. Just couldn't find it, weather, muggles etc. I log a DNF. If the reason I didn't find it is personal. My knees hurt too much to look anymore, or I drive up and find the dogs need to stay in the car, and I don't want to leave them. Maybe a phone call that has a reason to call off the search, etc. I usually will not log a DNF.

In the two bolded scenarios, I think those are obvious DNF logs. You were searching for the cache, and left without finding it. How would those not be DNF's?

I'm not sure why Princess Caroline saw this as 'unfriendly'.

I think you logged these appropriately. The slope cache was a DNF, which you logged. Of the series of micros, you only attempted one of them, which you logged as a DNF, and did not attempt the others in the series. That looks right to me. If anything, maybe you coulda logged the other micros in the series as a note saying "I was caching in the park, but decided not to hunt until the snow melts. I'll be back." But if no real attempt was made, the notes would be a little unnecessary.

I enjoy hiding caches and the logs are my guide to success. If I have a DNF in my log I contact the hunter and check the cache if necessary. If a searcher indicates there were muggles in the area or it was pouring rain I will still thank the geocacher for their kind words and hope they return.

If I create a 5/5 cache (And I doubt I ever will!) I would expect to see more DNFs with a smaller percentage of Smiley Faces. On the opposite end of the spectrum if I find a DNF on a 1/1 I would investigate the reason and just possibly give the individual a hint or even meet them for some caching company and mentoring.

But as all have said; it is your game and only you can set the rules to interface with others. :):D

Bringing myself back into this discussion.

I've only got 11 finds so far, but I've made my decision to mark DNF on any cache I make an attempt at.

For me that doesn't mean just driving by. I need to make an active attempt. If the weather sucks, too many muggles asking what I'm doing, afraid I'm going to slide down a steep slope, it's still going to be marked DNF with an explanation.

Thanks for everybody's input.

In the two bolded scenarios, I think those are obvious DNF logs. You were searching for the cache, and left without finding it. How would those not be DNF's?

I can see I wasn't clear in what was in my mind. :) I was thinking more along the lines, I get to the cache, and decide not to even get out of the car, because of the knees (With my knees that does happen.)

I have plenty of DNFs logged when the knees wouldn't let me look as long as I would like. :D

Hopefully that won't be as big a problem soon though. I'm getting the first knee replaced at the end of this month, and the second as soon after as the Doctor will allow. ;):unsure::anibad:

Do you *always* log DNF?

DNF has nothing to do with your intention to come back again.

It means I looked for the cache, but didn't find it. A DNF without the attempt to find is bogus.

--> In your case, I wouldn't have logged a DNF, just because you didn't really look for the cache.

GermanSailor

NEWBIE alert:

Went out yesterday to find one close to my house.

This was our first venture out at all, so completely raw!

Happened to be a multi, and we stayed at it a long time with no success.

For my own history, I feel like I want to log a DNF, but since we are so new,

I feel it not fair for the cache log to reflect a DNF.

I am pretty frustrated and can't wait to get out this morning to see if we can get some success

(to keep the kid hooked.)

NEWBIE alert:

I am pretty frustrated and can't wait to get out this morning to see if we can get some success

Thanks for alerting us to your newb status :anitongue:

Your DNF log is not an unfair reflection of the cache. There is absolutely no harm in logging a DNF and saying something like: "My first attempt on a cache ever. We looked for a while, but weren't able to find it. We are gunna try this one again after some more experience." That log would in no way reflect poorly on the cache. If I got a log like that on one of my caches, I would appreciate you letting me know my cache was visited (even though it wasn't found). I might even drop you an e-mail to say thanks for visiting and to offer tips if you wanted since I like newbies.

If I create a 5/5 cache (And I doubt I ever will!) I would expect to see more DNFs with a smaller percentage of Smiley Faces. On the opposite end of the spectrum if I find a DNF on a 1/1 I would investigate the reason and just possibly give the individual a hint or even meet them for some caching company and mentoring.

You'll probably find exactly the opposite is the case - you'll get a more drawn out series of smileys, with hardly any DNFs.

If people are going to the effort of completing the 5* difficulty section of your cache (solving a really difficult puzzle for instance), they'll be far less likely to let the 5* terrain put them off the find :D. People won't tend to log a DNF if they haven't got any specialist equipment required - unless it's equipment they didn't know about beforehand and wouldn't be prepared to use in the end.

NEWBIE alert:

I did the same thing yesterday. Me and my son went out for the first time and didn't find on the first attempt. Decided to do some quick park and grabs so we could find some easy and get him hooked. Found one that had a travel bug in it, that really got him hooked! You may want to try that. Once he's hooked, I plan to start doing some more harder ones where hiking is involved. Start them out small with some quick successful hunts to turn them on to it, that's my thinking anyway.

NEWBIE alert:

You looked and didn't find it, so it's a DNF. Being new should not be a consideration. Logging DNFs are neither fair or unfair to the cache, they are a simple fact. You hunt and find it it's a "Found it". Hunt and come up empty it's a Didn't Find It".

Edited by briansnat

I did not mark DNF because I intend to return on a better day and find it. Right or Wrong?

I write a new log for every visit

Right. Even people who come up with great reasons to not log a DNF, can at least do a Note ("I looked for 2 minutes, but it was raining" -- that sort of thing). This is the kind of game that works best with accurate activity logs.

Do you *always* log DNF?

I did not mark DNF because I intend to return on a better day and find it. Right or Wrong? ;)

I mark EVERYTHING as a DNF (whether I search for it for 5 min or not). However, I log all my logs at the end of the day so in this case (assuming i found it later that day) I would log a smiley -- just a smiley. In the description I would say: DNF'd earlier today.... (or something like that)

I'm still pretty new at this (only 93 finds in 2 months), but I think it would be better to just log a note instead of a DNF if you were unable to really look. For example, there is a cache hidden under an old train caboose near me. I drove there, but there were several city workers in the area that would have probably not liked me crawling under that caboose. So, instead of searching, I left. I think it would have been useful information to post a note about the muggle activity without posting a DNF. If I did not search for it, then I don't feel right about logging a DNF. If I spent time actively looking and came up empty handed, it gets tagged. I had 13 finds yesterday with 5 DNFs. This newbie will improve with time!

Edited by alldatndensum

I enjoy hiding caches and the logs are my guide to success. If I have a DNF in my log I contact the hunter and check the cache if necessary. If a searcher indicates there were muggles in the area or it was pouring rain I will still thank the geocacher for their kind words and hope they return.

But as all have said; it is your game and only you can set the rules to interface with others. ;):)

I appreciate the CO's contacting me if I log a DNF. Met some great Cachers this way. I log everyone that I look for but don't find. I am proud of my DNF's.

Edited by BrrrMo

I log a DNF if I choose to press "goto" on my GPS unit (the start) and I for any reason fail to find the cache (the end). I started a hunt and it ended in failure - that is a DNF to me.

I've seen this idea a couple times on the forums. If you press "goto" that becomes the start of your hunt. While I don't disagree that it works for you. I don't feel the same for my hunts.

I see a lot of people in here load their GPS up with a couple hundred caches, and I assume they do not expect to go for all of them on one outing.

I usually will load several caches for the area I'm going to, and at the end of the day, any I didn't look for I will delete. I like to try to assure the information I'm using is as up to date as possible.

I try to load more in than I will have time to look for. So if I put 10 caches in, search for and either find or DNF 5, but called off the other 5 for reasons that have nothing to do with the cache, those last five do not get logged. either as a note or as a DNF. In my thinking it doesn't matter if one of those five I had hit "goto" or not.

Please note I am not saying you are wrong. You are doing what works for you. I am just saying we all may feel a little different, and logging DNFs is important. However, not everyone will agree with what is a DNF. :P

I log a DNF if I choose to press "goto" on my GPS unit (the start) and I for any reason fail to find the cache (the end). I started a hunt and it ended in failure - that is a DNF to me.

I've seen this idea a couple times on the forums. If you press "goto" that becomes the start of your hunt. While I don't disagree that it works for you. I don't feel the same for my hunts.

I see a lot of people in here load their GPS up with a couple hundred caches, and I assume they do not expect to go for all of them on one outing.

I usually will load several caches for the area I'm going to, and at the end of the day, any I didn't look for I will delete. I like to try to assure the information I'm using is as up to date as possible.

I try to load more in than I will have time to look for. So if I put 10 caches in, search for and either find or DNF 5, but called off the other 5 for reasons that have nothing to do with the cache, those last five do not get logged. either as a note or as a DNF. In my thinking it doesn't matter if one of those five I had hit "goto" or not.

Please note I am not saying you are wrong. You are doing what works for you. I am just saying we all may feel a little different, and logging DNFs is important. However, not everyone will agree with what is a DNF. :P

I see what you are saying as being 100% in agreement with what you say you are disagreeing with. In your example, you pressed Find for 5. Those 5 get either Found It or DNF logs. You did not press Find for the other 5. Those last 5 do not get logged by your way or by StarBrand's way. Aren't you both saying the same thing?

As to this concept of "I only post a DNF if I really give it a good try"... are we seeing more and more of these recently? It sure seems that way to me.

....As to this concept of "I only post a DNF if I really give it a good try"... are we seeing more and more of these recently? It sure seems that way to me.

Seems to me that we are. Problem is - there is some HUGE difference in what exactly "a good try" means.

I've seen anywhere from "if I only have 20 minutes for the search" to "if I try hard" to "when I am serious about looking" to "if I give up in 5 minutes or less" and more. In my book - you either searched for a cache or didn't. Hard to measure the 'effort'.

In my first few weeks caching, I didn't log all of my dnf's, but I started to after I read the posts on this forum about them. But, there were two caches that absolutely drove me crazy for awhile--turns out they were hidden in chain link fence post caps, and we didn't know about those yet. I logged the first dnf or two on each of those caches, but then I stopped until we found it. It was really embarrassing that lots of other cachers were logging "easy find" and "park and grab" while we just couldn't locate it!! For one of them, we found it on the 5th try. I was soooo happy to cross that one off my list!

I see what you are saying as being 100% in agreement with what you say you are disagreeing with. In your example, you pressed Find for 5. Those 5 get either Found It or DNF logs. You did not press Find for the other 5. Those last 5 do not get logged by your way or by StarBrand's way. Aren't you both saying the same thing?

As to this concept of "I only post a DNF if I really give it a good try"... are we seeing more and more of these recently? It sure seems that way to me.

Slight difference at least the way I see it. With those last five if I entered a "goto" for one of them, but didn't look for it for some reason, (changed my mind before I got to the cache area, or what ever.) I would not see that one as any different then the other four I didn't look for. EVEN IF I HAD HIT A GOTO.

StarBrand would log the one with a Goto different than the other four unfound ones. Not wrong just different.