Do you save a particular cache for an important milestone?

shiltonpig

So with our first minor milestone coming up (100 finds, only taken us 2.5 years to get there lol) I was wondering whether everyone out there saves a certain or special cache for whatever milestone you have next?

And if so, what type of cache you save to hide? B)

Thinking about GC1H7F9 as GC1Q6Y2 was funny (although the bat has now since gone....boo hiss!)

I always try to, but most of the time it goes wrong! I think it's because what I consider a "special" cache is usually one that's harder and found less often, hence [a] it's not reported as quickly if it goes missing and you don't have the benefit of a "cacher's trail" to help you find it. Plus, of course, I'm rubbish.

Events are much safer B) Or, do what I did for my 400th (which I haven't logged yet - tsk tsk): do a group of caches you think are somehow particularly notable, and let whichever one happens to fall on the milestone count for the whole lot.

Cheers

Richard

I now try to time my milestones to coincide with events (100th event/3700th cache this week) but once you get into the thousands (it can/will/does happen!) the hundreds seem less of a big deal -no disrespect. It took me over a year to find my first 100 too!- so I aim to hit my thousands on interesting caches. Easier said than done though, as it only takes a DNF or two on a day out to muck up my plans.

Edited by Simply Paul

So with our first minor milestone coming up (100 finds, only taken us 2.5 years to get there lol) I was wondering whether everyone out there saves a certain or special cache for whatever milestone you have next?

And if so, what type of cache you save to hide? B)

Thinking about GC1H7F9 as GC1Q6Y2 was funny (although the bat has now since gone....boo hiss!)

If I'm near a milestone and there's a good cache nearby I may try and align them, but unless it's something that drops neatly into place I don't worry too much about it. To be honest I'd struggle to tell you the precise sequence of finds - sometimes if I've found a lot on a particular day I don't necessarily even log them in the order I found them.

Good luck and well done on your first century. :D

We always try to get a none traditional for our 100's although we have failed a little recently. With our 3,000 not far away we will try to get something special for that one, but have no idea which one to do. As we did for our first and second 1,000 cache finds. As has been mentioned sometimes the best plans can go wrong our 2,800 should have been an old cache but due to an error I forgot to log a previous virtual so when I did it threw the others out.

We used to but not so much now

Our 1000th took a vast amount of preparation and was very rewarding to complete.

We DNFed the one we'd chosen for our 2000th and had to settle for a simpler Multi instead, so after that disappointment we more or less gave up trying to select special ones for milestones (as long as it's not a throwaway drive by it will do! :D )

Might choose a biggy for our 4000th though :D

Mark

Don't really bother too much for the 100's.... some of them have even been micro's for heaven's sake :D but I did make a bit of an effort for my 1000th.

I went out on the Saturday and collected 14 to bring my score up to 999, then drove through the night to South Wales. I arrived at the car park north of Pen-y-Fan at about 05:30 and climbed up Cwm Llwch to do the 'Tommy Jones' cache on Corn Du for my 1000th. I sat on the summit with a ham roll and a bottle of the Wychwood Brewery's excellent 'Circle Master' to celebrate. The clouds lifted and the sun came out as I sat there, it was magic. Not another soul on the mountain, just a few inquisitive sheep. Walked back along the Cefn Cwm Llwch to complete the circular walk and two legs of the 'Fan Dance'. Then drove up to the Blorenge for my second and this time successful attempt at 'The First in Wales' before driving home, completely knackered. T'was a grand weekend :D:D

tommyjones.jpg

nice map.....how?? :anibad:
The track-log from my 60CSx was uploaded to Memory Map running the OS 1:25k Brecon Beacons Nation Park map. From there, it was just a screen dump... crop to size... upload to my website and link to it in the forum post. Not exactly rocket science :laughing::laughing:

It is nice to mark your milestones with a special cache, it helps to remember the caches that you have done.

However it can be difficult to work out which is the special one! it is worth asking around as other cachers can normally recommend something good.

So get to some local meets and these always count as good caches too. :anibad:

nice map.....how?? :laughing:
The track-log from my 60CSx was uploaded to Memory Map running the OS 1:25k Brecon Beacons Nation Park map. From there, it was just a screen dump... crop to size... upload to my website and link to it in the forum post. Not exactly rocket science :laughing::laughing:

:anibad: thanks......trying to get to grips with memory map at the moment. Linking in photos I have finally mastered :laughing:

#100 Katie's Cache (Girlfriend at the time was called Kate)

#200 AQ-Y Winderton series. By Messe -9 caches to get bonus. Alpha Quest -Y Bonus Cache #201

Started the series (got my first two FTF's) and carried on to the bonus.

Not really planned, just happened. Second to find the Bonus.

#300 Fox's Trail Series Bonus. By Silver Fox -6 caches to get bonus.

Happened to be the right number of caches to reach a milestone.

#400 Spiders from Mars. By Wrighty, 8 Wrighty caches (with a David Bowie theme) for the day

#500 The Wicker Man -A missing child. By Simply Paul. 3 caches as 499/500/501

Holiday in Scotland, liked to look of the caches -theme of The Wickerman film.

#600 Wrightys 100th cache walk (bonus). Day of Wrighty caches, placed to mark Wrighty's 100th cache.

Seems I'm starting to select caches with a theme to mark milestones! :anibad:

I would love to save a puzzle cache for my 100th, which I'm not far away from, it's just finding another 5 in close proximity to each other that are definately there so that they don't mess up my numbers! Mind you if I had my way I'd be closer to 1,000 or more by now!

I have to admit that I did "save" a particular cache for my 500th! :laughing: I had previously tried to complete "Spy Versus Spy" (GCTYGF) but fell into the trap!! :laughing: I worked out where I had gone wrong and, having reworked the correct location(?), and having enjoyed the challenge so much, I deliberately "saved" it. Fortunately, I was correct!!! :laughing:

This particular cache is still one of my all time favourites but has been surprisingly neglected by other cachers! :laughing: Perhaps it is too great a challenge as it involves getting out of the car and walking up a hill!! :anibad::laughing:

Edited by Phil100

One thing to be careful about, especially if you use one of the automatic stats generators that GSAK or Cachestats can produce - don't enter any caches retrospectivly because it screws the whole thing up. I found out the hard way after entering some logs for a few YOSM sites (GC45CC) which I had previously visited but hadn't known I could log them at the time.

I now try to time my milestones to coincide with events (100th event/3700th cache this week) but once you get into the thousands (it can/will/does happen!) the hundreds seem less of a big deal -no disrespect. It took me over a year to find my first 100 too!- so I aim to hit my thousands on interesting caches. Easier said than done though, as it only takes a DNF or two on a day out to muck up my plans.

I know what you mean. Those hundreds just flick by.