GPSr and the TSA

Zero Montana

I couldn't get past the search function without having an error returned. So apologies if this has been addressed before. This is one for the traveling cachers out there:

Any issues with TSA? I'm heading to CA tomorrow and don't know if I should be (gasp!) checking my Garmin, or if it can go carry on. I'm assuming I can't just clip it on my belt! B)

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

tnx!

tv

But never a boot bomber.

Not quite.

Back to topic. You should be allowed to bring a GPSr (ones without a radio transmitter of course) on the aircraft. I once had to remove the batteries in order to be allowed to take the GPSr in the hand luggage. The girl at security didn't complain about the spare batteries in my bagpack.

To put it in a nutshell: Lots of people take their GPS on board. But you don't know how the individual TSA officer acts. Best thing is to put it in the handluggage without the batteries installed. And ask the cabin crew before switching it on.

GermanSailor

Never had a problem, even if I was traveling with multiple units in a carry on.

Have any of you guys brought a GPSr INTO the US in hand luggage since 12/25/09?

In January, in Calgary, AB, the TSA was doing full body pat downs, and the largest carry permitted on was a camera or purse. The checker ran a sniffer swab over my camera and confiscated two screws from my change holder.

Have any of you guys brought a GPSr INTO the US in hand luggage since 12/25/09?

In January, in Calgary, AB, the TSA was doing full body pat downs, and the largest carry permitted on was a camera or purse. The checker ran a sniffer swab over my camera and confiscated two screws from my change holder.

Just came back into the US last weekend with both my Garmin units. No complaints. They're not on any lists of prohibited substances or devices. If given grief, hold your ground.