FTF

I have signed a blank log as the original finder a couple hundred times or so but have never used these three initials. It seems self evident if anyone cares. Nothing to claim. Nothing to vote for. Certainly not worth a half dozen smileys and a Wah-hoo in a log.

Edited by Erickson

Or should the rank of FTF be given out by a vote of other players?

Perhaps a committee should be formed to determine if a vote is necessary. A poll should be taken to ensure the committee is created properly and someone should be appointed to do that by group consensus..

Not to mention holding elections to determine who was the chairman of the committee and assign classes to insure that all members of the committee are familiar with Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure.

Perhaps a committee should be formed to determine if a vote is necessary. A poll should be taken to ensure the committee is created properly and someone should be appointed to do that by group consensus..

Not to mention holding elections to determine who was the chairman of the committee and assign classes to insure that all members of the committee are familiar with Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure.

Point of order. Robert’s Rules of Order discuss the rules of parliamentary procedure. And I would suggest the publishers of said book would think we are a pack of lunatics for even discussing such banal topics as who is the real FTF. :) But we enjoy it so carry on! B)

Surely every geocacher knows this?

Rule 52.6.3(e) : The FTF Approval Committee to be made up of no less than three Platinum members per geographical area (see Appendix XIX for Geographic Regions, Boundaries). If area has less than three Platinum mmbers, no FTFs will be awarded in that area. Any claim must be notarized and submitted in triplicate, together with photographic or video proof, with the required fee (See Appendix LXXIV for Fee Schedule). Fee is non-refundable and is forfeit if the claim is rejected.

I had not heard about rule 52.6.3 and always assumed that the title could only be awarded if the cacher makes a pilgrimage to the Great Frog and signs his/her name in the sacred scroll of the FTF, where it can be permanently recorded beyond all controversy. Very few people have actually returned from that journey so it makes sense to have an alternate method.

But I wonder if Keystone can waive the fee or does this power rest only with Jeremy?

anyone can claim anything, and they often do.

someone once tried to confer a FTF on me, when i clearly hadn't been the firstfinder.

it's not a juried award. you're either there first or you're not. having the cache owner declare "honors" on the cache page (crass, if you ask me) won't change reality.

Personally, I'm in favor of a lottery. The way I see it, only a lottery would truely equalize the opportunity. I mean, just because I'm watching my favorite TV show when a cache comes out should not mean that I should lose all chances for that important FTF. Other things can come in play as well... I might be cooking dinner, sitting on the can, clipping my toenails, or just plain maybe not in the mood right now for going after some cache that was just published at a most inopportune time for me. Should I give up all of my rights for FTF just because I wasn't ready or in the mood? OF COURSE NOT!!! The lottery method is the only way to go.
Ahhhh, what the heck. I'll just eat a pasty and not worry 'bout the FTF.
I'd pass on an FTF for a pasty any day.

(for those of you who are not from the U.P. but may vacation up there some time... that is prounced "paste-tee" (long "a"). Whatever you do, do not prounce it "pass-tee" or the locals will have a good laugh at your expense. Also, be sure to order it with gravy. If you can find a place that offers Mexican pasties or breakfast pasties... so much the better. I know one little secret hole-in-the-wall in Nissula, MI that offers them with fois gras and Italian white truffles.

OK... sorry... what was the topic again?

(for those of you who are not from the U.P. but may vacation up there some time... that is prounced "paste-tee" (long "a"). Whatever you do, do not prounce it "pass-tee" or the locals will have a good laugh at your expense. Also, be sure to order it with gravy. If you can find a place that offers Mexican pasties or breakfast pasties... so much the better. I know one little secret hole-in-the-wall in Nissula, MI that offers them with fois gras and Italian white truffles.

As the newly appointed U.S. FTF Czar (I'm sure that President Obama will announce my appointment any day now... he assured me in last night's weekly mind-chat that he would make this a personal priority of his Presidency) I am hereby and forthwith requiring an FTF Permit for all geocachers wishing to claim an FTF.

FTF claims made under a previously issued Provisional FTF Permit and all FTF claims made without a Provisional FTF Permit are hereby declared null and void.

Provisional FTF Permits (only issued to Groundspeak Platinum Members) must be destroyed and replaced with the new FTF Permit before an FTF may be claimed from this date forward.

FTF opportunities made available by the termination and cancellation of previous FTF claims will be awarded to the first geocacher claiming FTF on an unclaimed geocache who holds a valid FTF Permit.

YOU MUST APPLY VIA EMAIL TO THEALABAMARAMBLER@GMAIL.COM IF:

* You are applying for your first FTF Permit or

* You are under age 96 or

* Your previous Provisional FTF Permit was issued when you were under age 96 or

* Your previous Provisional FTF Permit was lost, stolen, or damaged or

* Your previous Provisional FTF Permit was issued more than 15 years ago or

* Your name has changed since your Provisional FTF Permit was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change.

Before You Start, Please Note:

* Special Requirements for All Minors Under Age 46

* Special Requirements for All Minors Ages 12 & 17

* Special Requirements for Lackey, Moderator & Reviewer No-Fee FTF Permits

STEPS TO SUBMITTING AN FTF PERMIT APPLICATION VIA EMAIL:

Read and understand Steps 1-5.

STEP 1: Complete and Submit E-Form GC-11: Application For An FTF Permit

Complete Form GC-11: Application for an FTF Permit. To submit Form GC-11, you:

* Must apply via email to an FTF Acceptance Facility or FTF Permit Agency

* Must include the additional documentation required by Form GC-11 (See Steps 2-5)

* Must provide your SSN, DOB and Bank Account Number(s) in accordance with 69 U.S.C. 6039E

STEP 2: Submit Evidence of Groundspeak Membership

When applying for an FTF Permit evidence of a current Groundspeak Free, Premium or Platinum Membership must be submitted with Form GC-11. A valid active geocaching.com username shall suffice as proof of an account.

STEP 3: Present Identification

When applying for an FTF Permit acceptable identification must be presented at the time of application.

Primary Identification (One of the following):

Previously issued, undamaged Provisional FTF Permit.

Groundspeak Platinum Membership Certificate.

Valid Driver's License.

Current Geocacher ID (Groundspeak, city, state or federal).

Current Military ID (military and dependents).

NOTES:

* If you cannot submit primary identification, please see Secondary Identification.

* If you apply to an Acceptance Facility and submit out-of-state primary identification, you must present an additional ID document, as well. For example, if you apply in Maryland with a Virginia Driver's License, you must present additional ID.

STEP 4: Submit a Scanned Image of the Identification Document presented (STEP 3)

The scan must be of the ID document that you will present when you apply.

* Scans must be printable on plain white, 8 1/2 x 11" standard paper stock, showing the front and the back of your ID

* Scans must contain images displaying first the front of the ID and the second displaying the back of the ID.

* The scan should be free of other images and/or markings.

* You may enlarge the image of your ID, but you may not decrease the size of the image.

Other situations that require a scanned image of identification, but are less common, include:

* If you are presenting Secondary Identification, you must provide a scan of each document being presented with your application.

* If you submit out-of-state primary identification, you must provide a scan of each additional identification document submitted with the primary ID.

* An assistant to a disabled applicant who witnesses the signature or signs on the disabled customer's behalf must present a scan of his or her ID.

* A person acting as an Identifying Witness must present a scan of his or her ID.

STEP 5: Pay the Applicable Fee

Submit the application fee of $15.00 to Paypal account edmanley@bham.rr.com

STEP 6: Provide Two FTF Permit Photos

We can help you submit clear and correctly exposed FTF Permit photos the first time - especially when applying for the FTF Permit Wallet Card. See Quality Requirements for FTF Permit & FTF Permit Wallet Card Photographs to avoid photo processing delays.

Your Photographs Must Be:

* Identical

* In color

* 2 x 2 inches in size

* Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance

* Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background and clearly showing your GPS receiver alongside but not obscuring your face

* Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head

* Taken in normal street attire:

o Groundspeak Lackey Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except as religious attire that is worn daily

o Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline

o If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture

o Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required)

NOTES:

* Vending machine photos are not generally acceptable

* See Digitized U.S. FTF Permit Photos for information on acceptable digital photos

* Professional photographers see Guidelines for Producing High Quality Photographs for FTF Documents

NEED AN FTF PERMIT IMMEDIATELY?

You may expedite your FTF Permit Application by submitting a $50. Hurry Up And Do Your Job Fee to your Regional FTF Agency at Paypal account edmanley@bham.rr.com if:

* The FTF Permit is needed in less than 2 weeks in order to beat out competing geocachers.

* The FTF Permit is needed within 4 weeks to assert FTF CacheMaster Playa status in your local forum.

Contact the National FTF Information Center to make an online contact appointment or locate an FTF Agency.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I love Tom Wait, but had never thought to look for his YouTube videos before... that was great! Thanks.

As the newly appointed U.S. FTF Czar (I'm sure that President Obama will announce my appointment any day now... he assured me in last night's weekly mind-chat that he would make this a personal priority of his Presidency) I am hereby and forthwith requiring an FTF Permit for all geocachers wishing to claim an FTF.

FTF claims made under a previously issued Provisional FTF Permit and all FTF claims made without a Provisional FTF Permit are hereby declared null and void.

Provisional FTF Permits (only issued to Groundspeak Platinum Members) must be destroyed and replaced with the new FTF Permit before an FTF may be claimed from this date forward.

FTF opportunities made available by the termination and cancellation of previous FTF claims will be awarded to the first geocacher claiming FTF on an unclaimed geocache who holds a valid FTF Permit.

* Your name has changed since your Provisional FTF Permit was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change.

* Must include the additional documentation required by Form GC-11 (See Steps 2-5)

* Must provide your SSN, DOB and Bank Account Number(s) in accordance with 69 U.S.C. 6039E

When applying for an FTF Permit evidence of a current Groundspeak Free, Premium or Platinum Membership must be submitted with Form GC-11. A valid active geocaching.com username shall suffice as proof of an account.

When applying for an FTF Permit acceptable identification must be presented at the time of application.

Valid Driver's License.

NOTES:

* If you cannot submit primary identification, please see Secondary Identification.

* If you apply to an Acceptance Facility and submit out-of-state primary identification, you must present an additional ID document, as well. For example, if you apply in Maryland with a Virginia Driver's License, you must present additional ID.

STEP 4: Submit a Scanned Image of the Identification Document presented (STEP 3)

* Scans must be printable on plain white, 8 1/2 x 11" standard paper stock, showing the front and the back of your ID

* Scans must contain images displaying first the front of the ID and the second displaying the back of the ID.

* You may enlarge the image of your ID, but you may not decrease the size of the image.

Other situations that require a scanned image of identification, but are less common, include:

* If you are presenting Secondary Identification, you must provide a scan of each document being presented with your application.

* If you submit out-of-state primary identification, you must provide a scan of each additional identification document submitted with the primary ID.

* An assistant to a disabled applicant who witnesses the signature or signs on the disabled customer's behalf must present a scan of his or her ID.

* A person acting as an Identifying Witness must present a scan of his or her ID.

We can help you submit clear and correctly exposed FTF Permit photos the first time - especially when applying for the FTF Permit Wallet Card. See Quality Requirements for FTF Permit & FTF Permit Wallet Card Photographs to avoid photo processing delays.

* Identical

* In color

* 2 x 2 inches in size

* Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background and clearly showing your GPS receiver alongside but not obscuring your face

* Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head

o Groundspeak Lackey Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except as religious attire that is worn daily

o If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture

o Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required)

NOTES:

* See Digitized U.S. FTF Permit Photos for information on acceptable digital photos

* Professional photographers see Guidelines for Producing High Quality Photographs for FTF Documents

You may expedite your FTF Permit Application by submitting a $50. Hurry Up And Do Your Job Fee to your Regional FTF Agency at Paypal account edmanley@bham.rr.com if:

* The FTF Permit is needed in less than 2 weeks in order to beat out competing geocachers.

* The FTF Permit is needed within 4 weeks to assert FTF CacheMaster Playa status in your local forum.

Contact the National FTF Information Center to make an online contact appointment or locate an FTF Agency.

Awesome! :D

I was going to suggest that the special language dialect of "mumbo jumbo" be used, but I see someone beat me to it.. :D

A slightly different branch on this topic. My most recently published cache was first discovered by muggles that helped themselves to the cash prize contained therein. Though they were thoughtful enough to put the cache back where they found it, I reserve the honor of FTF to the Geocaching Member that located it by design and signed the log. Therefore, I hereby move the name of the honorary award be changed to FTS, First To Sign. Is there a 2nd (to the motion)?

A slightly different branch on this topic. My most recently published cache was first discovered by muggles that helped themselves to the cash prize contained therein. Though they were thoughtful enough to put the cache back where they found it, I reserve the honor of FTF to the Geocaching Member that located it by design and signed the log. Therefore, I hereby move the name of the honorary award be changed to FTS, First To Sign. Is there a 2nd (to the motion)?

Wow, they didn't even sign the log??

a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community

Ah...Found it...I guess I'm the middle one??

If I had posted that in the other FTF thred, then might I be the first one??

So by that definition you cannot be a troll in the initial post that started a thread. Someone posting to insult you can be though so ironically that means the person who accused you of being a troll. Ironic huh?

a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community

Ah...Found it...I guess I'm the middle one??

If I had posted that in the other FTF thred, then might I be the first one??

So by that definition you cannot be a troll in the initial post that started a thread. Someone posting to insult you can be though so ironically that means the person who accused you of being a troll. Ironic huh?

extraneous: not forming an essential or vital part

Some folks might think the whole topic is extraneous. That would make me a troll.

I reserve the honor of FTF to the Geocaching Member that located it by design and signed the log.

However you justify it, or whatever you call it, you're still refusing to accept that the First person To Find the cache was the first person to find the cache.

The muggle was FTF.

Put that on your cache page, be pleased that the muggle will have as much fun spending the money as a cacher would have, and enjoy the rest of your day.

Or, "reserve" some perceived honor by incorrectly saying that the second person to find the cache was actually the first person to find the cache, and enjoy the rest of your day.

:anicute:

Edited by Mushtang

I like the term "rank of FTF". Sounds distinctly militaristic. Do you get to wear a patch on your shoulder?

It actually refers to the distinct odor of someone who bolted out the door in a mad panic, dripping with perspiration and excitement.. :rolleyes:

Yes, the ones who show up for work the next day having forgotten to shower, because they arrived at home at 3 in the morning.

Valid Driver's License.

NOTES:

* Identical

* In color

* 2 x 2 inches in size

NOTES:

Hold on! Not so fast! Wait until the surveys, petitions, voter initiatives, public hearings, private hearings, sub-committee meetings, background checks, and law suits are complete.

I like the term "rank of FTF". Sounds distinctly militaristic. Do you get to wear a patch on your shoulder?

It actually refers to the distinct odor of someone who bolted out the door in a mad panic, dripping with perspiration and excitement.. :D

... and then arrives at the cache location only to find half a dozen other fanatics who all had the same idea and who will all log the find as "Co-FTF".

Valid Driver's License.

NOTES:

* Identical

* In color

* 2 x 2 inches in size

NOTES:

Will this FTF czar be a member of the Republican, Democrat, or third party (Green, Reform, etc.)?

Valid Driver's License.

NOTES:

* Identical

* In color

* 2 x 2 inches in size

NOTES:

Will this FTF czar be a member of the Republican, Democrat, or third party (Green, Reform, etc.)?

Valid Driver's License.

NOTES:

* Identical

* In color

* 2 x 2 inches in size

NOTES: