Can Palm devices download all relevant information?

3bocas

Hello,

I currently own the Garmin 60CSx GPS. It is a great device but hard for geocaching as I currently am downloading, copying/pasting separately all of the relevant information (background/story, hint, etc.) on each cache while I would like to be able to do a multiple download onto one device if possible. While upgrading GPS units seems pretty expensive, I was wondering about getting an used Palm device online (there are some under $15.00 on Amazon) and then downloading clues onto that device.

First of all, is there an easier way to view the paragraphs of relevant information to each cache rather than visiting each cache online individually? (I thought that the touch-screen GPS units, Iphones and Palms had potential for applications that could download this information). Secondly, if yes to the first question, is it as easy as I believe to download (with a premium membership) relevant information for multiple geocaches onto a Palm unit?

Thanks for your time!

Yep a Palm PDA is a perfect device to supplement a "non paperless" GPSr. You can create Pocket queries using your premium membership (each holding up to 500 caches!) and load them to the PDA. That will allow the PDA to store ALL the relevant detail of those caches in the pocket query, including the 5 most recent log entries.

You can also load the same pocket query into your 60CSx. It won't be able to show you the cache description details or past logs but at least the coordinate location & cache name will be readily visible. Couple that with the PDA and you're all set :) I've been Geocaching exactly that way for years!

Edited by NordicMan

I have a Palm m500. I use Cachemate, and GCSAK to load the relevant information into the device.

It took a little reading of the forum and playing with it to get it working, but I can download all the info I need just as fast into the palm, as into the Garmin 60 CSX.

It gives all the information from the cache page, including the hint. Plus the palm will decode the cache if I decide to use it.

I understand you may have some problems if you are running Vista or Windows 7. Someone more tech savvy than I would have to comment on that.

I have a Palm m500. I use Cachemate, and GCSAK to load the relevant information into the device.

Actually you don't even need GSAK. Cachemate comes with CMConvert which also loads caches to the Palm.

That's good to know.

However, I already had GSAK, and used it to load the Garmin. I'm not very tech savvy and it took a while to figure out how to load both the GPS and the palm. :)

I understand you may have some problems if you are running Vista or Windows 7. Someone more tech savvy than I would have to comment on that.

32-bit vista is no problem at all, as long as you have version 6.22 of the desktop. It should work with windows 7 32-bit(getting very rare), but I have heard of reports of it not working. With 64-bit XP(very rare), Vista(rare) or windows 7(very common these days) you can for get about usb hot sync. Bluetooth will work, but very slow. IR hot sync will work but I have not found any 64-bit windows 7 compatible IR dongles. The easiest way with the 64-bit systems is to use the SD card to transfer files. There are a few wrinkles so if your faced with this let me know and I'll give you a hand.

I, from time to time, visit this possibility myself. Presently, I copy into a stenographer's notebook all the pertinent information and hints. It'd be nice to download it and have it in an easily readable format.

I read postings about the "deals" people have supposedly gotten on used devices, but when I go looking on Ebay, etc. I never seem to find the "deal" that others have gotten. All that could be my looking for too high of a level of PDA, or something. So, what I'd like to ask is which used PDAs work best to get all the cache information onto it. Maybe then I can adjust my "wants" down to something in line with what I "think" is an acceptable price.

Thanks

Edited by carolnbarney

I, from time to time, visit this possibility myself. Presently, I copy into a stenographer's notebook all the pertinent information and hints. It'd be nice to download it and have it in an easily readable format.

I read postings about the "deals" people have supposedly gotten on used devices, but when I go looking on Ebay, etc. I never seem to find the "deal" that others have gotten. All that could be my looking for too high of a level of PDA, or something. So, what I'd like to ask is which used PDAs work best to get all the cache information onto it. Maybe then I can adjust my "wants" down to something in line with what I "think" is an acceptable price.

Thanks

Look for a M500. Also check froogle.com, there are used one listed for $20.

Thanks

I found my Palm m500 on craigslist. I paid $25. for it, and feel it is just perfect for me.

I've used a Zire 21. It's a pretty basic model. No backlight, but the reflective screen is very easy to see in sun light. It has a USB port and 8 meg of memory. No problem running Cachemate on it. Cachemate is great! If you're a premium member you can download PQs and then convert and load them on the PDA. They'll have the cache name, description, terrain/difficulty, hint and last five logs.

Now, I use a Palm Treo phone. The Treo 650 and newer models have high-res 320x320 screens which are great. (I use mine a lot as an ebook reader.) I also have the Palm version of Street Atlas USA loaded for maps. I have a bluetooth GPS puck that it can connect to. So with Cachemate/Cachenav it can function as an GPS and PDA.

Treos are kinda big and heavy by today's standards for PDAs or phones, but I find the size and shape very easy to hold in my hand.

There's also the Palm Centro, which is lighter and smaller, but they tend to be more expensive if in good shape. I have a Centro which is active on Sprint, but for caching I use a Treo 700 which is currently not active as a phone. I like the larger screen on the Treo for PDA use, compared to the slightly smaller Centro screen.

You can find Treo 650s or 700s for $30 to $40 on Ebay. I used to have a 650 but the keypad went wonky. The 700 and 650 are very similar, the 700 has more memory and higher res camera, otherwise not much difference.

Edited by Mosaic55

Thanks

Look for a M500. Also check froogle.com, there are used one listed for $20.

Yeah, I think people tend to highly over exaggerate the deals they got on old Palm PDA's on ebay. I'm gonna give you a hot tip here. Go for the Handspring. Search for Handspring on ebay. More specifically the Handspring Visor. It was a rival company that used the Palm OS, that was eventually bought out by Palm. You can get them dirt cheap, trust me. B)

EDIT: Not that I'm dissing jholly. I see you can get plenty of M500's for $30 "buy it now". That is an excellent unit, and better than Handspring Visor. But if you're looking to spend $10, like everyone seems to say they found on ebay, check out Handspring Visor.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Go for the Handspring. Search for Handspring on ebay. More specifically the Handspring Visor. It was a rival company that used the Palm OS, that was eventually bought out by Palm. You can get them dirt cheap, trust me.

Oh wow huge tip. Even a cheesy fake pda that only does address book and won't hook to a computer is more expensive at the retail level.

Edited by Domandred