Trash Out pics

Mopar

Here is the perfect spot to collect all those "cache in, trash out" pics we see in the logs.

Add them here so everyone can see some of the great things geocachers do for the enviroment.

I think it's only fair to start with this picture, taken from the Cache Clean Up Event last year in South Carolina.

686058_2000.JPG

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

[This message was edited by Mopar on March 28, 2003 at 08:32 AM.]

I haven't got any pictures to add yet, as I've only just started taking a camera out with me when I go caching, but I have to say that every time I see the photo from the South Carolina event, I can't help but smile. Maybe it's the strategically placed branch, I don't know, but it's still an impressive sight.

Perhaps this photo should be forwarded to the LNT'ers?

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Here's my haul for today. The larger collection weighed a ton... lots of D batteries in it and waterlogged stuff.. but the killer was a bag that contained a carton of eggs..mostly broken and somewhat rotten.. it made for a not so pleasant ride home... of course I had to double the trip home...there was a new cache across the river.. after all... there might have been more trash there ;-)

1175440_400.jpg1175834_300.jpg

Groundspeak Cache Log for

Cache'n Trash Out -Memphis #1 by Salvo

October 13, 2002 by bitbrain

-HUMOR ON

I get into the general vicinity of the cache, and my GPS starts going bonkers due to tree cover. I line up and get cross bearings from a number of different compass points, and after marching around a bit, and 45 minutes later, I spot the cache and am about to pull the cache when I hear a snap. I come out of my cache find euphoria and look in the direction to see what.. a dog? No.. RAZORBACK!!

He's about 40ft from me. My first thought is the yell ''GIT!'', and I threw my GPS at him (Looking back on that, WHAT was I thinking!), then I threw my Cellular at him, then I threw my green cache bag at him -all missing the pig.

-HUMOR OFF

Heh heh heh That's great! I hope you've recovered, Salvo.

The girls and I found the cache box right away at about 4:45pm. We filled 2 bags to bursting & I had to go back to get more bags from the Ammo box. There's still plenty of trash out there, so y'all don't think we took it all -- you'll just have to go a little further from the cache to get yours.

669731_200.jpg

669731_300.jpg

669731_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by bitbrain:

Groundspeak Cache Log for

Cache'n Trash Out -Memphis #1 by Salvo

October 13, 2002 by bitbrain

-HUMOR ON

I get into the general vicinity of the cache, and my GPS starts going bonkers due to tree cover. I line up and get cross bearings from a number of different compass points, and after marching around a bit, and 45 minutes later, I spot the cache and am about to pull the cache when I hear a snap. I come out of my cache find euphoria and look in the direction to see what.. a dog? No.. RAZORBACK!!

He's about 40ft from me. My first thought is the yell ''GIT!'', and I threw my GPS at him (Looking back on that, WHAT was I thinking!), then I threw my Cellular at him, then I threw my green cache bag at him -all missing the pig.

-HUMOR OFF

Heh heh heh That's great! I hope you've recovered, Salvo.

If you're interested in, as Paul Harvey says "the rest of the story", see Salvo's 9/29/02 log at Lorance Trail Cache

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

Here's a picture of my kids at the starbase12's cache.

Jeff

Awesome, Jeff -- want to get an "official" cleanup going for B'ham area's Earth day? I'll do what I can to help.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Here's the result of my CITO day clearout at GC9C7B.

You should be able to spot:

Old Gate, satellite dish, rusty car wheel, half a tricycle, and three bags of generic trash. Sad part is, the amount of effort it must take to get the stuff there is about equal to that which it would take to get it to the nearest city dump.

1306751_300.JPG

While trashing out, a few dog walkers commented that it was 'about time' that someone did something to help, assuming I was working for the council - they were rather shocked to discover I was doing it in my spare time!

I tried to encourage them to join me, but alas, no luck, although one did promise to bring bin-liners with her next time she walked this way.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Here's a pic from our CITO this morning. Most of the trash was already in the dumpster before we realized that we had no pictures...

1308204_200.jpg

ArkansasBugman, Bitbrain, Megan, Tori, eStorm (w/board), Tori's pal, Geocop's older boy, Baddogg, geocop (w/visor), Matthew.

TriadGeocachers (in Piedmont North Carolina) held their first CITO event on April 26, 2003. People from several cities converged to give a helping hand to a newly developed park. We're not talking plain ole litter here -- this was an illegal dumping area, full of the nastiest kind of trash imaginable (including dirty diapers and syringes).

What a change our efforts made! In a relatively short period of time, the mess was bagged and hauled off to the dumpster.

CITO-small.jpg

52813_3100.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

The GGA does its part at our CITO event today!

_All of this came out of a National Park Area!_

_Does anyone need a spare tire?_

WOW, mtn-man ... at a NATIONAL PARK, no less! We should be sure that somehow the President and the Secretary of the Dept of the Interior get those pictures, along with the query "Now, WHY again was it that geocaching is not allowed in National Parks?????"icon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Happy Trails,

Candy

quote:
... I can quit any time I like ... really, I CAN!!

Candy (Moosiegirl)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

This was taken at my first Hidden Cache, 'Stop at the Bank/Delaware Overlook' on the Delaware River PA. The reason I'm sitting and only have one small bag of bottles and such is that as I was walking bent over at the Cache Site I walked head first into a Tree, the hat is covering a nice big purple bump.

Take Care, Michael

Here in the Tri-Cities of Washington we got a small group together to pick up some trash near two of my caches for International CITO Day.

First we went to WYE Park at the Mud Hole. This is the whole group:

62983_200.jpg

Names (left to right, back row): J, M (of J&M), Sugar (holding Ryan), Sweet-Pea and Daisy-Mae.

(front row): Sluggo, and Quartermaster (Sweet-Pea, Daisey-Mae, and Quartermaster are all part of a family called the quartermasters).

And here is the next generation of geocachers and land stewards:

62983_300.jpg

Ryan (J&M's son) Sweet-Pea and Daisey-Mae

Then we moved to Sluggo's Delta Hairlines cache. This place once was a trash heap and now it's so clean that we had to work hard to find any trash. (We found out later that another group had cleaned up the area a week before).

4265_900.jpg

- Sluggo and the East Cascades Geocachers

This 'flying saucer' situation is not at all imaginary or seeing too much in some natural phenomena. Something is really flying around. The phenomenon is something real and not visionary or fictitious. - Gen. Nathan Twining Chief of Staff, US Air Force, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

[This message was edited by Sluggo on April 30, 2003 at 05:24 PM.]

Hi Alabama guys and girls. I originally had a CITO planned for the home of the site of the first GeoCache in Alabama with about 50 people coming. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a CITO of 1, me! Park was pretty clean and I was only able to snag 3 bags by myself. Here's the pictures.

timsuggs@bellsouth.net

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

quote:

Jeff

Awesome, Jeff -- want to get an "official" cleanup going for B'ham area's Earth day? I'll do what I can to help.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

HI Alabama Folks! I snagged the home of the first GeoCache in ALABAMA for my CITO, here's the pictures...

timsuggs@bellsouth.net

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

quote:

Jeff

Joel (joefrog)

trash%203.jpg

Natureboy carring out a bag of trash from Purgatory Chasm!!!!! Northbridge MA

Do you get funny looks from co-workers -when you say your going into the woods with a 200$ gadet to find kids toys?

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

[This message was edited by Natureboy1376 on May 21, 2003 at 01:04 PM.]

This is part of my log for a cache where picking up the trash was a money-maker...

GC2972 'Waterfalls at CampBuckeye' "Lots of trash around,including a Wal-Mart bag. While searching for the cache I also picked up lots of beer cans and other trash. When I got back to my car there was a lot more trash there so I continued to clean-up the area. Found $1.00 in the brush by the stream, so I thought to myself 'hmmm,maybe there is more $$'. Sure enough, when I went for the Wendy's cups in the stream (only a couple inches deep) there I found a 5$ new bill in the water. Great day to cache. Found the cache, cleaned up the area, and found cash! Thanks for the hide Blueyedkansan and Rick! "

The harder you work,the harder it is to give up.

Vince Lombarde

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Here is the perfect spot to collect all those "cache in, trash out" pics we see in the logs.

Add them here so everyone can see some of the great things geocachers do for the enviroment.

I think it's only fair to start with this picture, taken from the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=37783 last year in South Carolina.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/686058_2000.JPG

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

[This message was edited by Mopar on March 28, 2003 at 08:32 AM.]

That's disgusting.... I'd really like to be here going 'YAY FOR CLEANING IT UP' but the whole time I just want to find the ****ers responsible for it and kick their asses!