Hello! newbie and need advice please :)

alandsteph

Hi all :)

We are very new to this but kind of excited to get going but would like some advice please.

Which GPS unit would you recommend? easier to use the better as my (rather elderly) parents would like an easy ramble to an easy cache as well! money is not a major issue and it would be nice if it ha d acces to download cache info etc.

Will it/would it need extra software? if so where can we get it etc ?

any other info would be greatfully accepted!!

Thanks very much

Alex and Steph

(Manchester)

Hi all :)

We are very new to this but kind of excited to get going but would like some advice please.

Which GPS unit would you recommend? easier to use the better as my (rather elderly) parents would like an easy ramble to an easy cache as well! money is not a major issue and it would be nice if it ha d acces to download cache info etc.

Will it/would it need extra software? if so where can we get it etc ?

any other info would be greatfully accepted!!

Thanks very much

Alex and Steph

(Manchester)

If money isn't a problem you'll want to be looking at the high-end units, I'd suggest taking a look at Garmin's GPSMap60CSx or the high end Colorado or Oregon units. Although the Colorado and Oregon range are much newer than the 60CSx I've spoken to a few people who have upgraded only to find they preferred the older unit.

So go take a look at them and make sure you're happy with how the thing works before you splash your cash.

If you buy the high-end Colorado or Oregon units you may get detailed maps with the unit (I think they are the ones with a -t suffix on their names, e.g. the 400t). With the 60CSx you'll need to buy maps if you want anything other than the most vague outline where trunk roads go. For the UK I'd recommend the UK Topo maps - they aren't 100% accurate but are close enough for almost any purpose. The main issue I've had is the inconsistency in path mapping - sometimes a barely visible trail is shown and other times a gravelled track two cars wide leading to a car park isn't shown. But for the most part it's pretty good, I use it all the time.

Hi there. Sorry bit of a long reply! But hopefully will help explain what each different type of unit will offer you!

I think this depends largely on whether they want to go paperless or not and also whether they want to invest in additional mapping software to go on the unit.

Mapping GPS's are much more expensive. However you can buy the unit and upgrade the maps later if you want to spread cost.

They will need a basic level of understanding of computers if they want to go paperless caching, but in my opinion it's miles better than using paper.

Assuming they want mapping and paperless go for an oregon or dakota. These units will give you details from the cache page on the unit. You just drag and drop your PQ's in to the unit which I'm sure most people can manage even if they're not too computer savvy.

Or if you have more computer knowledge, you can use software such as GSAK to filter your caches before downloading them to the unit.

With the oregon and dakota you can also choose the level of mapping you want - discover maps (OS maps), topo maps, (not as good as OS but not bad, cheaper and if you get a 't' model garmin they are preloaded) or you can download free open source maps. These can be great, but the quality is variable depending on where you live in the uk. Some areas are better mapped than others.

This is the expensive option - you will be talking hundreds of pounds if you opted for an oregon and discoverer maps - but it will give you the ultimate caching gps!

The GPS60 series are pretty easy to navigate your way around and are much easier to use if you intend to enter coordinates manually. No touch screen though.

They also can be used with mapping (although I don't know if they can they be used with discoverer maps? - I'm sure someone else can answer that though)

You can download basic cache data to the unit and so can go paperless, but you don't get the whole cache page write up like you would with the oregon, dakota or colorado - just the coordinates. You also can't drag and drop your PQ into the unit, so a little more computer knowledge and some third party software is needed unless they're happy entering all their coords manually.

If you're not interested in maps on the unit, then there's nothing wrong with the entry level GPS such as the Etrex. No point spending a fortune on a mapping unit if you're not intending to invest in maps afterall! Just make sure it has a sirf3 gps chip (garmin call this 'highsensitivity') so you get the best signal.

Hope that helps!

Having used a few GPSr's in my time the Easiest to Use is most definetly the Oregon.

Easiest to load

Easiest to setup

Easiest to follow (with Maps)

Easiest to view info on

Easiest to find caches with

Easiest to get to the caches with ( using the Automotive Setting )

Easiest to write logs on

Easiest to download logs from

Easiest Allrounder!

But easiest does not make it the best. but it is my choice after many others having used the Etrex, Etrex Venture HC, Legend HCX, Colorado 300 and the Oregon 300.

Once you have set it up, its the best allrounder and i would not go caching without it.

To go caching all i do is upload staight from GC.com 1 Pocket Query and go! no printing no other software no fussing just go and that makes it easy.

Though not cheap and the maps are expensive too, i think the best setup is the Oregon with the Garmin Discoverer maps for you area.

So this is my recomendation :)

One thing I would suggest doing is making sure you're happy with the screen of whatever you buy.

The Oregon has a touch screen. A lot of people who use them think they are great, but some people (myself included) find the screens can be hard to read in sunlight. If you find the screen hard to read it will most likely reduce your enjoyment in using the device. If you don't then obviously that's not something you need to consider.

One thing I would suggest doing is making sure you're happy with the screen of whatever you buy.

The Oregon has a touch screen. A lot of people who use them think they are great, but some people (myself included) find the screens can be hard to read in sunlight. If you find the screen hard to read it will most likely reduce your enjoyment in using the device. If you don't then obviously that's not something you need to consider.

I can agree with the sunlight issue and Oregon but have found rechargeable batteries and cranking up hte brightness solves the problem pretty much.

I work away and do not use my GPS when away. I am glad I got the Oregon it is simple to use so I do not forget to much.

My only bug bear is why do radar ranges say plus to increase range and Garmin GPS's Plus to increase Scale?

You can easily find yourself navigating into port on the 24 mile range or searching for a cache on a similar scale B) .

Dam machines when will they know what you are thinking :) ...

Gerrit

Hi ya and Welcome to the world of Geocaching B)

I'm fairly new to Geocaching and was brough a Yellow Garmin eTrex H. To be honest it does everything I need. My mum and dad are able to work it as its nice and straight forward. I wouldnt spend too much money to be honest , not at the start anyway. The garmin is pretty sturdy going and the nice bright yellow means you not lightly to misplace it when your at home and not geocaching :)

Let us know how you get on :)

Edited by hothayley2000

I have used a GPSMap60CSx for the past three years and I have no desire whatsoever to upgrade to another device. It's very accurate and works under trees where other unit's won't.

I totally agree with Fuchsiamagic, the Garmin GPSMap60CSx is the best on the market, it is rugged reliable and very accurate, I think few of the other GPSrs can match it for build and reliability, and ruggedness in the field. Also it is easy to load with waypoints.

I have used a GPSMap60CSx for the past three years and I have no desire whatsoever to upgrade to another device. It's very accurate and works under trees where other unit's won't.

I totally agree with Fuchsiamagic, the Garmin GPSMap60CSx is the best on the market, it is rugged reliable and very accurate, I think few of the other GPSrs can match it for build and reliability, and ruggedness in the field. Also it is easy to load with waypoints.

I can second how robust the 60CSx is - I've dropped mine from waist height onto concrete more than once and each time it bounced and continued working. I've got a couple of scratches on the screen from when I forgot myself and put my backpack down (with the GPS, screen-side outward) on the side of a mountain. I've used it in torrential rain, and it just doesn't let me down.