GCzII is now Approved!

Andronicus

See post here

According to this post by one of the forum admins, GCzII is now approved software!!!!! :laughing::laughing::ph34r::)

Everyone with Windows Mobile Phones should realy try out this program. It is clearly the best Geocaching app for a smart phone. And it is free!!! (the developer, Tom Hiro, will not even accept donations). It real allows cable-less (forget paperless, that is soooo old-school) and spontanious caching. Similar to some of the newer Android apps (that are not approved), but much more mature.

Here is the program

The best way to keep your version up to date is to install ApptoDate.

Edited by Andronicus
It real allows cable-less (forget paperless, that is soooo old-school) and spontanious caching.

Some of us just don't think it's worth the Smartphone cost, so "paperless caching" is quite good enough, thanks.

Nothing to do with "old school".

Dude!! I was not attacking people who still use paperless caching! Personaly, I got my smart phone for free, and my data is $15 Canadian per month (including call display, call answer, unlimited texting). That is quite cheep (IMHO). And, if you don't want to pay for data, GCzII will work via Wi-fi (if your smart phone has wi-fi). If your phone doesn't have wi-fi, then GCzII can import GPX files and work just like any other paperless software.

It would be more precise to say that discussions of this application are now permitted in the Groundspeak Forums. Posts must comply with the forum guidelines. Consistent with that, I've removed an unauthorized solicitation from the OP.

Thanks for clarifying that! So, if discussions are now permitted, is it also permitted to use GCzII to access data from the Geocaching.com web site?

I didn't intend to post a solicitation (athough I realize that is what it was), I was just trying to empfisize that the developer (Tom Hiro) is not even accepting donations.

It would be more precise to say that discussions of this application are now permitted in the Groundspeak Forums. Posts must comply with the forum guidelines. Consistent with that, I've removed an unauthorized solicitation from the OP.

Thanks for clarifying that! So, if discussions are now permitted, is it also permitted to use GCzII to access data from the Geocaching.com web site?

I didn't intend to post a solicitation (athough I realize that is what it was), I was just trying to empfisize that the developer (Tom Hiro) is not even accepting donations.

Does this mean discussions are allowed ? Or the app is permitted ? Or both ?

Edited by ScoutGopher

Tried this app today for the first time. Downloading is great and I am looking forward to using it some more. Have one complaint though. The compass is very lacking or I am not using it properly. If any one has any ideas on how to work it better please give me and the other readers a post.

Tried this app today for the first time. Downloading is great and I am looking forward to using it some more. Have one complaint though. The compass is very lacking or I am not using it properly. If any one has any ideas on how to work it better please give me and the other readers a post.

Like any GPSr without an electronic compass, you have to be moving for the GPS receiver to be able to tell which way you are moving. Once you are walking at a reasonable (walking) pace, it should have no trouble working out whether you are going N, S, E or W.

This is one reason why I still love my Summit HC (with electronic compass) - it tells me which way I am facing even when standing still.

Hope this helps!

That's great news the Win-Mo people have an app available now that works well. I'm surprised it works for "free" though.. Aren't the iPhone people still needing to pay for their app? Aren't they gonna get jealous/upset?

not really, they're used to paying for stuff that's either cheaper or free elsewhere :wub:

My guess is that GC.com is just getting more aggressive about blocking activity that violates the TOU and so they are not trying to ban software directly as before. This is, of course, just a guess on my part. The reason I think this is because there have been a few threads on the forums (Thread1 and Thread2) about people recently getting messages that they were moving through the site faster than humanly possible and that they would be blocked from the site for a period of time.

There is nothing on the approved list that will work on my Windows Smartphone. GCzII worked great until recently. I'd love for it to work again.

It works great for caches you have already looked at, (my guess is the data is cached) but it won't load any new cache detail. It will do searches and show you the summarized list and even show you those caches in google maps.

Why has Groundspeak ignored Mobile windows for so long? There are a lot more windows mobile devies than iphones and now that win mobile has an app store there is an easy way to package and distribute apps.

I just downloaded this and it seems like it was made to not work. Would be great to have work again, it seems like a pretty good program. Does anyone know if it will work again?

There have been multiple attempts to contact the author with no luck yet.. we're still hopeful though.

I got this message today from Groundspeak.

"Thank you for writing to us.

The GZCII application is using Groundspeak's registered Trademarks and other intellectual property without consent. The GCZII application is an automated tool that scrapes data from the geocaching.com website without authorization in violation of the Geocaching.com Terms of Use Agreement. You might try looking into the Trimble navigation.

More info can be found here: http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/default.aspx

We do have iPhone apps and are in the process of developing an app for the new Android phone sometime in Q1 of this year.

Hope this helps!

Happy caching."

So it doesnt look like we will have any luck anytime in the near future.

i still think Groundspeak is going the wrong way with this. instead of having created an iphone app and a dedicated infrastructure for it, they could have just created the infrastructure and made the specs semi-public and open and leave it to the community to create the apps. kinda like the way google or twitter is going with their APIs.

I just don't understand this - does anyone really know what's happening with GCzII???

It seems we have a generous, nerdy programmer who has written the best geocaching program available for a Windows Mobile phone and has donated it to the user community free of charge yet there is a continuous attempt to block it's use??? The programmer won't take and doesn't ask for any money. The program is well liked and encourages and promotes the sport of geocaching. It seems pretty positive all around.

Of course there is a penalty - somebody is supporting it's operation and that somebody appears to be Groundspeak. As a user, I don't want or expect a free ride. I would gladly pay to license - and support - this software. I would also gladly pay a fee to Groundspeak to cover the operation of the software through my account. I like geocaching - I like the GCzII software - I like Groundspeak and what they are providing.

Can't we all just get along and help each other? There has to be a way to come to a mutally beneficial agreement in this situation???

Does anyone really know what the problem is here??? Not rumour or speculation - just the facts. Has anyone seen or heard from Groundspeak on what the real concerns are?

Fingers crossed and remaining hopeful ....

I just don't understand this - does anyone really know what's happening with GCzII???

It seems we have a generous, nerdy programmer who has written the best geocaching program available for a Windows Mobile phone and has donated it to the user community free of charge yet there is a continuous attempt to block it's use??? The programmer won't take and doesn't ask for any money. The program is well liked and encourages and promotes the sport of geocaching. It seems pretty positive all around.

I totally agree!

The GZCII application is using Groundspeak's registered Trademarks and other intellectual property without consent. The GCZII application is an automated tool that scrapes data from the geocaching.com website without authorization in violation of the Geocaching.com Terms of Use Agreement. You might try looking into the Trimble navigation.

I understand the intellectual property and unauthorized use of registered trademark issues. What I don't understand is the "automated" use issue. I actually would like clarity on this for 2 reasons. First, because I believe that statement is in error and if it is then the app should be allowed (assuming the first 2 issues are resolved) and Second, because I am a programmer and would be more than willing to build a winmo app that does the same or similar and is in accord with the TOU/EULA ... if someone from Groundspeak would just come out and say what the problem is so that I could avoid it in my development. Unfortunately it's pointless to develop a similar app that will ultimately fall to the same fate.

If anyone can authoritatively clarify this situation on why GCzII is considered automated it would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure by far more people than just myself. Without that clarification is seems that the issue is merely one of the symantics of "automated" as opposed to one of actually automated.

Thanks

Of course there is a penalty - somebody is supporting it's operation and that somebody appears to be Groundspeak. As a user, I don't want or expect a free ride. I would gladly pay to license - and support - this software. I would also gladly pay a fee to Groundspeak to cover the operation of the software through my account. I like geocaching - I like the GCzII software - I like Groundspeak and what they are providing.

Can't we all just get along and help each other? There has to be a way to come to a mutally beneficial agreement in this situation???

Does anyone really know what the problem is here??? Not rumour or speculation - just the facts. Has anyone seen or heard from Groundspeak on what the real concerns are?

Fingers crossed and remaining hopeful ....

Tom has stated that he has less time to work on this app due to buisness demands. So far, he has done updates within a week of site changes. We will just have to wait and see. For now, I am using GateCacher. It is a fairly good app as well.

I have used this program for nearly a year and had absolute supreme results with it, if Groundspeak is blocking access from the programer I feel that is a travesty, especially when anyone can set up a free account and go geocaching. Will I stop geocaching? no, but it is not very wise for Groundspeak to block something that promotes going green while we search for the tupperware hidden in the woods

Edited by wdanieloffroad

I have used this program for nearly a year and had absolute supreme results with it, if Groundspeak is blocking access from the programer I feel that is a travesty, especially when anyone can set up a free account and go geocaching. Will I stop geocaching? no, but it is not very wise for Groundspeak to block something that promotes going green while we search for the tupperware hidden in the woods

I too have enjoyed using this app, but I only started using it recently. So I don't have a strong attachment to it. I was trying to use it this evening to no avail. So I came here to see if I could find out why and it seems the answer is readily available - GC.com does not support the author's efforts and considers the program to be a violation of the terms of use.

When I first used the app, I wondered if it might be a violation. The fact that you could actually log your find from within the application was surprising. It would not surprise me that the message I keep getting when I pull up GC.com on my smart phone is part of a continued effort to thwart the author's efforts to scrape data. Of course going through with the threat to stop supporting smart phone browsers will alienate an awfully large number of paying members in the process, so it's a big gamble on Jeremy's part to end support of smart phone based browsers.

Here's the thing that those of you that think that it is a "travesty" that GCzII is not supported by GC.com should consider. Geocaching.com is a business. They are in business to make a profit. There is a reason why they recommend the Trimble app to those that enquire about GCzII. GC.com makes money from Trimble. It's a given that they make advertizing revenue from Trimble. In all likelihood they also make money by licensing database access to Trimble. That's why users of the app have to pay by the month to use the app.

It's great that GCzII is free, but GC.com isn't making a dime off of the app like they are off of Trimble. So who should GC.com support? Like it or not, it's business. I'll never use the Trimble app, because it's not worth it to me. I just don't cache often enough. But I completely understand why GC.com is doing what they are doing. They are simply doing what they can to maximize their profit.

I too have enjoyed using this app, but I only started using it recently. So I don't have a strong attachment to it. I was trying to use it this evening to no avail. So I came here to see if I could find out why and it seems the answer is readily available - GC.com does not support the author's efforts and considers the program to be a violation of the terms of use.

When I first used the app, I wondered if it might be a violation. The fact that you could actually log your find from within the application was surprising. It would not surprise me that the message I keep getting when I pull up GC.com on my smart phone is part of a continued effort to thwart the author's efforts to scrape data. Of course going through with the threat to stop supporting smart phone browsers will alienate an awfully large number of paying members in the process, so it's a big gamble on Jeremy's part to end support of smart phone based browsers.

Here's the thing that those of you that think that it is a "travesty" that GCzII is not supported by GC.com should consider. Geocaching.com is a business. They are in business to make a profit. There is a reason why they recommend the Trimble app to those that enquire about GCzII. GC.com makes money from Trimble. It's a given that they make advertizing revenue from Trimble. In all likelihood they also make money by licensing database access to Trimble. That's why users of the app have to pay by the month to use the app.

It's great that GCzII is free, but GC.com isn't making a dime off of the app like they are off of Trimble. So who should GC.com support? Like it or not, it's business. I'll never use the Trimble app, because it's not worth it to me. I just don't cache often enough. But I completely understand why GC.com is doing what they are doing. They are simply doing what they can to maximize their profit.

While i recognize the rights of a business to profit, I'm a business owner myself, I think Groundspeak's stance on the issue is ridiculous considering the Trimble app (and all the others I've tried excluding GCzII) are barely adequate, cumbersome, lacking features or just plain over-priced. I could understand their stance if they were in fact attempting to build a winmo app that would be fully functional and feature rich that would be even remotely comparable to GCzII but the reality is that they are not.

I saw the post above regarding "live.geocaching.com" and thought "hmm, maybe they had a reason" until i tried to go there and found out that the only support for winmo is just another mobile web page with no gps api even. :P

I'm a programmer and could easily write something over a couple months that would be comparable and I would bet there are more than a few like me out here that would as well. I could also understand if Groundspeak charged an additional $15-20/year for the use of using a mobile app to connect to their site but the bottom line is they don't. We cannot even get a straight forward answer on why they are simply ignoring the winmo community of their member base.

All things considered, while I respect a businesses right to profit, I think Groundspeaks stance on this particular issue is a very poor business AND member/community relations decision. Their are many possible solutions to make both sides very content AND that have the potential to be lucrative for Groundspeak.

I'm available to be contacted at any point if a representative from Groundspeak would like to further discuss a lucrative and more member/community friendly decision.

Live works. It isn't very user friendly, but I got it working. It does in fact have a compass pointer. You find it by clicking on the "Mode" button on the map, right below the zoom buttons. GCzII is way more user friendly, but only when it works. If GC.com doesn't make the app substantially more user friendly (you know, like GCzII for instance) then the app isn't worth using because it is so difficult to navigate.

As for GC.com not doing right by a lot of members, yeah that may be right. There have always been people displeased with the way GC.com operates. I was particularly disappointed with the loss of the virtual cache way back when. No matter what they do, people will be disappointed. Just remember this, we WM users are a shrinking minority. iPhone and Android are killing WM and Windows Phone 7 will render all WM apps obsolete, an extremely risky move on Microsoft's part. So if you are contemplating developing smart phone apps, where would you get the most bang for your buck? With iPhone and Android probably, but not with WM.

Live works. It isn't very user friendly, but I got it working. It does in fact have a compass pointer. You find it by clicking on the "Mode" button on the map, right below the zoom buttons. GCzII is way more user friendly, but only when it works. If GC.com doesn't make the app substantially more user friendly (you know, like GCzII for instance) then the app isn't worth using because it is so difficult to navigate.

As for GC.com not doing right by a lot of members, yeah that may be right. There have always been people displeased with the way GC.com operates. I was particularly disappointed with the loss of the virtual cache way back when. No matter what they do, people will be disappointed. Just remember this, we WM users are a shrinking minority. iPhone and Android are killing WM and Windows Phone 7 will render all WM apps obsolete, an extremely risky move on Microsoft's part. So if you are contemplating developing smart phone apps, where would you get the most bang for your buck? With iPhone and Android probably, but not with WM.

Actually, I have a authorized pre-release of winmo 7 and 90% of the winmo 6.x apps work as is. The few that I have developed that don't didn't require too much in the way of porting. Android is eating up M$ market share like you wouldn't believe - but just as linux did at one point too, it will eventually find an equilibrium. As for the iPhone, they have a specific part of the market share that fluctuates within a couple of percent - not a concern.

In any case though, for any business who could be making a profit off any significant market share without having to do much else besides allow someone to write an app for them or based on their specs and add a payment structure to provide for that app - it is just plain poor business sense to do anything but.

GC.com is not trying to block access. They did a site upgrade, and programs like GCzII then require a modification. GCzII's author is hopeing to to this work this weekend, so we will see. For now, I am using GateCacher. Works reasonable well.

Trimble doesn't support my phone.

GCzII does

Just remember this, we WM users are a shrinking minority. iPhone and Android are killing WM and Windows Phone 7 will render all WM apps obsolete, an extremely risky move on Microsoft's part. So if you are contemplating developing smart phone apps, where would you get the most bang for your buck? With iPhone and Android probably, but not with WM.

Not true... WM phones are holding their ground and outselling Android by more than 3 to 1.

In Q4 2009 41% were RIM/Blackberry, 25% iPhone, 18% were WM and 5% were Androids.

Not true... WM phones are holding their ground and outselling Android by more than 3 to 1.

In Q4 2009 41% were RIM/Blackberry, 25% iPhone, 18% were WM and 5% were Androids.

As as of now for US customers, the split looks like;

RIM / Blackberry 42%

iPhone 25%

Windows mobile 15%

Android 9%

WebOS 5%

15% WM may be a reducing number BUT when you take 15% of the 45m US Smartphone owners, that equates to over 675k users ! Not a bad number if an official paid for app were available.

As an Android user, I'd love an official GC app but until that's available, I'll use something else. I was a long time WM user and had used GCzII (& other apps) in the past. Whilst I understand about the issues around terms of use, site scrapping, etc. the suggestion earlier about creating a mobile (rather than iPhone) infrastructure seems very good - I'm quite happy to pay for an app (irrespective of platform) that allows me to cache both 'live' and offline. At the minute, I use a combination of 2 Android apps to achieve this.

GC are due to launch an official Android app some time in Q2 so will be very interesting to see (a) how the app functions and (:D how the unofficial apps are then regarded.

Maxi

RIM / Blackberry 42%

iPhone 25%

Windows mobile 15%

Android 9%

WebOS 5%

15% WM may be a reducing number BUT when you take 15% of the 45m US Smartphone owners, that equates to over 675k users ! Not a bad number if an official paid for app were available.

As an Android user, I'd love an official GC app but until that's available, I'll use something else. I was a long time WM user and had used GCzII (& other apps) in the past. Whilst I understand about the issues around terms of use, site scrapping, etc. the suggestion earlier about creating a mobile (rather than iPhone) infrastructure seems very good - I'm quite happy to pay for an app (irrespective of platform) that allows me to cache both 'live' and offline. At the minute, I use a combination of 2 Android apps to achieve this.

GC are due to launch an official Android app some time in Q2 so will be very interesting to see (a) how the app functions and (:D how the unofficial apps are then regarded.

Maxi

Actually, Q4 2009 and Q1 2010 have seen stronger growth than Q1-Q3 2009. Windows Mobile web traffic doubled in December, then doubled again in January. Yesterday's iPhone 4 OS announcements didn't do much to damage Windows Phone 7.

I love how developers run from Windows Mobile citing API and fragmentation issues, and tout Android. Are there actually two Android devices out there that have the same screen aspect ratio/DPI and the same OS version? At least with Windows Mobile you get a stable OS for a good year or two with consistent APIs, none of this "oh look a new phone, time to rev up the OS version number again" bull.

My short term solution will probably be to use the Groundspeak Android application on my Windows Phone. I have Android "Eclair" running via Haret but for my day to day use I'm still much happier in Windows Mobile 6.5 - with GCzII.

Live.geocaching.com is not a pleasant experience on a WVGA device unless you have the nerves of steel with your stylus.

GC.com is not trying to block access. They did a site upgrade, and programs like GCzII then require a modification. GCzII's author is hopeing to to this work this weekend, so we will see. For now, I am using GateCacher. Works reasonable well.

Where did you see this? I just read the other thread on another board and saw nothin from Tom..

RIM / Blackberry 42%

iPhone 25%

Windows mobile 15%

Android 9%

WebOS 5%

Maxi

Actually, Q4 2009 and Q1 2010 have seen stronger growth than Q1-Q3 2009. Windows Mobile web traffic doubled in December, then doubled again in January. Yesterday's iPhone 4 OS announcements didn't do much to damage Windows Phone 7.

I love how developers run from Windows Mobile citing API and fragmentation issues, and tout Android. Are there actually two Android devices out there that have the same screen aspect ratio/DPI and the same OS version? At least with Windows Mobile you get a stable OS for a good year or two with consistent APIs, none of this "oh look a new phone, time to rev up the OS version number again" bull.

My short term solution will probably be to use the Groundspeak Android application on my Windows Phone. I have Android "Eclair" running via Haret but for my day to day use I'm still much happier in Windows Mobile 6.5 - with GCzII.

Live.geocaching.com is not a pleasant experience on a WVGA device unless you have the nerves of steel with your stylus.

You are talking to someone who got criticised for mentioning the i-Thing in a negative light !

I love Android only because WM was too restricted and most developers were moving elsewhere - I still have (and use) my HTC Trinity running a WM 6.1 ROM and it's great - battery life is appalling but for a 7-8 year old device, what do you expect !

To me it's more a case of the i-Thing versus everything else. Unfortunately, there are more people with $ / £ in their pocket to spend who want the cachet of an i-Thing rather than a fully functional device (WM or Android). I have good friends who look at me with that strange look when I say that he i-Thing is crippled by the owners...yes the owners (Apple Inc) as people who buy it are users...nothing else and don't realise how the 'device' is tied down to how they (Apple) want it to work. Easy example - multitasking. Doesn't work unless your app is signed & "approved" by apple.

If I want a device that is restricted to what i can / can't do, I'll buy Vista.

Just my thoughts.

Maxi

ps - live.geocachng.com is close to torture !

The author of GCzII has posted on his blog that he is looking into the GS site upgrade and is preparing a fix.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Gzh/searchdiary?word=*[GCz]

derlbearderlbear 2010/04/05 04:02 Hey Gech, could you please look at the GCzII page at xda :-) ? We're all waiting for our personal hero, Tom Hiro! Not only because loading caches from gc.com doesn't work any more.

Cheers,

derlbear

GzhGzh 2010/04/05 11:34 GCのサーバー側に修正が入ったのかもしれませんね~ (>< 時間の都合で週末になってしまいますが、確認してみますね。

Hi derlbear, might be changed something on GC.com server. I will check it on weekend. sorry for the inconvenience.

The Application Forum is here at XDA-Developers

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=482249

Edited by Maverick_38344

I haven't seen it mentioned here, one can always create a PQ and put the resulting GPX on the phone. Import that GPX, then in the list of caches use the Sort function to sort the closest. The GPX import can go kinda slow, but once it's in there everything is pretty fast. If you have a GPX with 500 caches, some operations are a little slow, but still faster than some other programs I've used.

So you have to have prepared data, but GCzII works as-is just fine. Searching and downloading outside of GPX data hopefully will be fixed soon, but there will be another random change in the HTML to break it again I'm sure.

... GCzII's author is hopeing to to this work this weekend, so we will see. For now, I am using GateCacher. Works reasonable well.

Where did you see this? I just read the other thread on another board and saw nothin from Tom..

Tom's Blog.

Thanks, forgot about his blog.

Last I heard it still violates the TOU.

Depends on how you use it. Check out the links in my signature. they both have insturctions for using it without violating the TOU

Just downloaded this app (v0.2.35.41) and it totally rocks! Works like a charm so they must have gotten their ducks in a row. This is the dream app I was laying awake at night thinking about. Thanks Tom!

PS version v0.2.35.41is old. Install App2date to keep your version updated. the current version is v0.2.35.43

Edited by Andronicus

Depends on how you use it. Check out the links in my signature. they both have insturctions for using it without violating the TOU

That might be, but the problem with that is many will use the software without realizing they are violating the TOU. And some might realize they are violating the TOU and don't care. My personal feeling is that GS should start to enforce the TOU both by actions against the author/program and users. Otherwise the TOU's become a joke.

That might be, but the problem with that is many will use the software without realizing they are violating the TOU. And some might realize they are violating the TOU and don't care. My personal feeling is that GS should start to enforce the TOU both by actions against the author/program and users. Otherwise the TOU's become a joke.

Good luck with that. The whole un-automated screen scraping has now become so pervasive with all the new Android apps that it is essentaly impossible. The only way to fix that would be to change the site to make it impractical to scrape. Not even sure if that is possible.

As for action against the authors, well GCzII author is from Japan, so again, don't think that is possible.

A more reasonable approach would be to try to work with the authors to reach a mutualy advantagous solution. Look at the whole Napster thing. They never managed to get it out of the mainstream untill they embraced it with things like iTunes.

At some point priviously, GS said they were in talks with GCzII's author. Neither GS or Tom have talked about the outcome of that. But shortly afterward, GCzII was no longer banned from discussion on this board. My personal feeling is that this was because GS realized that GCzII was not creating increased loading on thier servers, but it was actualy reducing the total loading.

Edited by Andronicus