Cryptex Drawings for Geocaching Community

These crytex's are amazing!

Any chance of any of you crafty people out there, making one For me?? I would love to use one of these.. Of course I would pay for time and materials,,,

e-mail me at adigitalparadox@gmail.com to work something out

B-rad~

Hey B-rad

I am working with Groundspeak to make a model available for purchase for the caching community. If you can be patient I hope to have something worked out in a month or so. It will be a 4 dial mini cryptex to start with and we will see where it goes from there.

There is alot of R&D that goes into making a unit that is cost effective to manufacture and keep the cost low enough to intrest the paying public to generate sales.

Stay tuned and if your looking for something custom drop me an email...

Cheers

Soxter

i hope Groundspeak goes for it that is a cool container i think i would probably buy one

After having my last one Muggled i finished a new one. this one is 16 inched long and 3inch pipe. much larger and better then the last IMO. I am affraid to put this one out though lol.

That is soooo amazing!

Could you share the pipe diameters that you've used?

Compared to these mine is very, very simple...

Hats off!

After having my last one Muggled i finished a new one. this one is 16 inched long and 3inch pipe. much larger and better then the last IMO. I am affraid to put this one out though lol.

That is soooo amazing!

Could you share the pipe diameters that you've used?

Compared to these mine is very, very simple...

Hats off!

thanks

I used 3 inch outer pipe. 2.3/4 inner pipe. hard to find size as its a specialty pipe made for lap pools.

Edited by Ampresearch

Inspired by this, I thought I'd have a go. Not as fancy as others but it works - pretty amazing considering I made it :laughing: I had all the materials (apart from the paint and 1 end cap) in the garage.

IMG_83152.jpg

I'm planning to do a few more and add some twists along the way (languages, braille, etc).

IMG_83182.jpg

The observant amongst you will spot that the letters spell a particular name when aligned :D

Thanks again for the instructions & motivation.

I just found this thread after watching a couple of "inadequate" videos.

Thanks Soxter for a fantastic job of making it more understandable to build by creating the plans.

Some folks here have some really unique ideas for decorating their Cryptex builds. Hats off to Ampresearch for a very nice final product. I wouldn't want to put that one out either, especially if the previous one got Muggled!

Question: When putting the letters on hte code wheels, I assuming the actual code is placed first then random letters placed in each wheel. Would it be worth the time to put other words that would fit, in case it got muggled and someone tried to crack the code without having the clues? Just a thought.

SO it has taken me a while, and this is still not listed just yet.

But I have had to Australianize the plans for the materials and dimensions available to me.

I have a gallery that you can view of my construction process here.

but here is my final result...photo.JPG

one is a 10 word code solvable after finding the first two in a sieries and the other is the english conversion of the hebrew alphabet requiring the finder to translate a hebrew word on a public building.

I did struggle with the process and had been trying to build one of these even before i found this thread. But thanks to the help here from Soxter (thankyou) the process came together and will be so much easier now I have built one or two.

I built the dials a little differently and more dangerously. I routered out 1/2 of the material inside the dial, this kept my final cache tube bigger.

photo.JPG

I used an idea from upthread for routing out the groove.

photo.JPG

thanks again fellow cachers.

I hope my experience and photos help some out like those before me helped me.

Ampresearch, your cryptex is absolutely AMAZING!! STUNNING!! If I ever get up the gumption to make another one, you've given me some new ideas for sure! You're quite the artist.

BTW, Thanks again to Soxter & Bellini. If you're ever in the Chicago area, plan about 2 hours for GC2CV0T "DeCACHElon!!" - the 10 stage multi/puzzle where my cryptex is. Largely because of your plans and inspiration this cache won the Chicago Geocacher Podcast "Cache of the Show" and the GONIL (Geocachers of Northeastern Illinois) "Cache of the Month". As much fun as I had putting it together, I can't tell you how much more fun it is for me reading the logs of people that enjoyed finding it. Thanks again!

For those members that have been waiting and inquiring, Billini and I have been busy working on an order for World Caching and we dropped them off this afternoon. Members looking to add a cryptex to one of their caches and not into building one from scratch, keep an eye on their site and they should have some up for sale soon.

They will have a range of dials from 4 dial to 10 dial. They are blank cryptic caches and ready for your imagination and personal touch to make them work for your cache. If you do purchase one please post your pics here and show others members what can be done.

Thanks to all members for their encouraging words that got us to this point.

Regards,

Soxter & Billini

Mass-Production.jpg

For those members that have been waiting and inquiring, Billini and I have been busy working on an order for World Caching <snip>

Any suggestion on how to apply durable lettering to the rings?

I would paint the cryptic cache first if you wish to make it a certain color and the apply the lettering after all is dry. A couple coats of clear coat over the letters will help seal the edges and prevent them from lifting.

I am having a really hard time cutting the rings... I have tried using a dremel, which is bad because of the heat, and a pipe saw, which is very difficult to use because of the size of the couplings. Is there any way easier other than finding a band saw?

Hi there.

I wanted to build this cryptex but those pipes are not available in this imperial measuring system (inches) in Europe.

So I was searching for standard pipes with a metric measuring for us Germans (or Europeans). Here's what I found and it's the only sizes that fit into another nicely.

It's 7.75cm in diameter (?), the length depends on the number of letters you're going to use.

Hier also eine Möglichkeit ein Cryptex aus Rohren, die auch in Deutschland erhältlich sind, zu basteln.

http://www.bilder-space.de/bilder/e5404b-1323186949.jpg

Leider gibt es keine anderen Größen, die ineinander passen.

Viel Spaß!

Edited by Edmondo

Edmondo-

Great work Edmondo! I have had that question a few time from other people in the world that have access to only metric pipes. Your info will help alot of people with there projects.

rocky is a very good doggie-

We sold that batch to World Caching a while ago and I believe what they have on there web site is all they have left. The smaller sizes are more popular.

Regards,

finishedcrypexwhole.jpg

cryptexside2.jpg

cryptexside.jpg

cryptexrose.jpg

That is really nice. I would be afraid too. You can try putting it in an ammo can.

finishedcrypexwhole.jpg

cryptexside2.jpg

cryptexside.jpg

cryptexrose.jpg

I can completely understand the fear of releasing that monster to the world. A great idea would be to place a trackable in it and take it to events. Solvers can discover the trackable inside upon opening it.

This is my version from Soxter's plans. I am setting it up to be published sometime in January 2012, in the Minnesota area. I have a CNC machine so it was not too hard to build. I used colors instead of letters. The colors will represent numbers. I will provide the number combo, and the cacher will have to look up the correct color chart to translate from numbers to colors.

8d27d3a7-bbc5-42e4-b379-71120daa02bb.jpg

4a60868a-9a6a-47d2-9719-337c7cd7db43.jpg

Edited by tamwood53

Ampresearch's cryptex looks really great!! I want to use such a cryptex as pre-final for the first multi-cache, which my mates and I are planning. It would be quite kind, if you'd tell me how he did these beautiful decorations. In my opinion it looks like he scratched? it in and painted it afterwards. I already sent him an E-Mail yesterday, but I think the spam-filter knocked me out...

I hope that anybody is coming up with some suggestions. :)

Got a couple questions to help me clarify things:

(Before reading these, bear in mind that I'm a complete idiot when it comes to handy man stuff)

1 ) In drawing # 7, showing the key ring sections, how loose should the 1" slip into the 1 1/4"?

Mine has a lot of room between the inner wall of the 1 1/4" and the outer wall of the 1".

I'm thinking this will make it difficult to glue?

When I cut the gap in the 1" ring, should I use the wedge to expand it until it gets snug, and then glue it?

2 ) In drawing # 4, the internal key tube, can you give some more detail on how to tighten the screws? Should I punch a hole on the bottom of the tube so I can squeeze a screwdriver thru?

I see your plans call for a magnetic screwdriver, but I'm not sure what that is?

Thanx!

-Sean

Thanks for the tip. I tried using Scotch-brite and it worked well enough. So I’ll leave it at that for the time being before going back to Home De-pot. :(

BTW, I was able to complete the 3/8” slot using a router and a wooden fixture to hold it securely. On my first try I started too fast and cracked the tube. Slow and steady works nicely. Next, the tumblers.

Hi Guys,

Something else I did when I was building my geocache cryptex was to bevel the outside edges of each combination rings. I did this because after I put it togeather with straight cut rings I found when I spun the rings they had a bit of an offset and crooked feeling because you could easily feel the edges of two rings.

We keep the rings a little loose on the base tube so they spin freely and its this subtle loosness that is easy to feel at the edges of the combination rings. This is why a bevel them. With this cut back edge it is visually appealing and feels good in the hands.

I have included a detail to show what I'm talking about. The main drawings don't show this modification but I will update later...

03-02MAR10-Detail.jpg

Hi I have a question on the beveling part of the outer rings. How were you able to do what you have in the photo? did you have a specific tool or would sanding it by hand work? Please let me know! thanks!

We just wanted to give public kudos to Soxter and Billini for their great Maple Ridge Cryptex Caper.

We found this puzzle series today and had a wonderful time (okay, some of it was less-than-wonderful, but that was our fault! :P ) The cryptex is very cool - in its own velvet bag even! - and the whole adventure should be considered a pinnacle of the geocaching experience.

THANK YOU FOR A FABULOUS DAY! ~6NoisyHikers

Thanks for the tip. I tried using Scotch-brite and it worked well enough. So I’ll leave it at that for the time being before going back to Home De-pot. :(

BTW, I was able to complete the 3/8” slot using a router and a wooden fixture to hold it securely. On my first try I started too fast and cracked the tube. Slow and steady works nicely. Next, the tumblers.

Hi Guys,

Something else I did when I was building my geocache cryptex was to bevel the outside edges of each combination rings. I did this because after I put it togeather with straight cut rings I found when I spun the rings they had a bit of an offset and crooked feeling because you could easily feel the edges of two rings.

We keep the rings a little loose on the base tube so they spin freely and its this subtle loosness that is easy to feel at the edges of the combination rings. This is why a bevel them. With this cut back edge it is visually appealing and feels good in the hands.

I have included a detail to show what I'm talking about. The main drawings don't show this modification but I will update later...

03-02MAR10-Detail.jpg

Hi I have a question on the beveling part of the outer rings. How were you able to do what you have in the photo? did you have a specific tool or would sanding it by hand work? Please let me know! thanks!

I used a lathe when I made mine so it was a simple task with that tool. If your doing it by hand I would recommend a deburring tool, which is available at local tool suppliy stores for about $20 or just get busy with a sanding block.

-Soxter

Many people have written their thanks for these awesome schematics, and I wanted to add mine as well. My family recently got some bad news, and building this thing was the perfect distraction during what has otherwise been a totally crummy time.

IMG_4839.jpg

It isn't the prettiest (I don't have a wide array of tools or space), but it works. I've just got to add the alignment arrows and give it a protective coating, and then it will be ready to be released as part of a mystery multicache that I've had in mind for awhile. Thanks very much.

I have never in my life done anything like this, but decided to take on the challenge. So far so good, finished the inner piece with the screws, I have pretty much no tools so I'm just using a dremel, elbow grease and a lot of praying :). Such a wonderful project, can't wait to finish it, thanks so much for posting such easily readable plans!!!

Hello,

I'm from belgium and loved the idea. I wanted to start immediatly and went to the store. (actually 3 stores) There is my problem.

Apparently in Belgium they don't have those caps and other parts in PVC? Is here someone from Belgium who knows where i can get the parts? Or someone else that have a solution for me?

I would be very glad :)

Anyway thanks :)

Thanks so much for sharing these drawings! I made one a bit at a time during my lunch breaks over a few weeks. The tricky thing for me was that Australian PVC sizes aren't the same as in America! However, I had a lot of fun adapting your plans. It's a little sloppy, but I'm really happy with it!